Marlins Trade News / Rumors

*** DODGERS CHECKING IN ON RELIEVERS *** mlb.com

Dodgers have engaged Marlins about relievers

July 1: With a beleaguered bullpen -- Tony Cingrani, Pedro Baez and Josh Fields have all been on the disabled list the past month -- the Dodgers are interested in bolstering their relief corps, and have had preliminary dialogue with the Marlins about their bevy of power arms, including Kyle Barraclough, Adam Conley and Drew Steckenrider, according to MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi. 

Los Angeles is expected to add at least one reliever before the Deadline. Barraclough and Conley are each entering salary arbitration this offseason and will not be free agents until after the 2021 season, making their contract control enticing. Morosi noted that because Steckenrider, who entered Sunday with a streak of 18 scoreless outings, is in his first full MLB season, Miami likely has less incentive to trade him. 

No trade is close, sources say, but the fit is undeniable: Few sellers can compare with the Marlins' volume of effective, controllable relievers.

Barraclough and Conley, both 28, will receive raises via salary arbitration next year, and they are due to become free agents after the 2021 season. Barraclough's 0.99 ERA is the Majors' third lowest among pitchers with at least 35 innings this season. Conley has been dominant since becoming a full-time reliever, with an 0.81 WHIP in 17 games.

Steckenrider, 27, is in his first full Major League season, so the Marlins have relatively little incentive to trade him. Steckenrider entered Sunday with a streak of 18 consecutive scoreless appearances, during which he has permitted a slash line of .137/.214/.176.

The Marlins also are willing to move position players and have received interest in first baseman Justin Bour and outfielder/infielder Derek Dietrich, in addition to coveted catcher J.T. Realmuto.

LA TOP 30 Prospects List http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=la

The back and forth frisaro has in that tweet thread is interesting. It echoes some other things that have been said about the team looking to be competitive in 2020.  But the idea that we have to hang onto currently serviceable relievers because we might be good in two years is not sound.  Good clubs rebuild bullpens all the time. 

If they wanna keep Realmuto they'll keep him but I don't know if they can say unlikely on Barraclough in the sense that he's not untouchable and teams are more likely to reach the asking price on him especially in a trade deadline move for a guy like him. I'd actually use the word "likely" with Claw. 

Yes also Drew Steckenrider = firesale. Two guys the casual fans probably didn't know existed a few months ago.

I love this. Like when at a game early this season I heard a fan behind me say, definitively, that Dietrich and Realmuto were the only guys on the team who were here last year. Barraclough has been there FOUR seasons now and South Florida has no clue who he is yet they'll suddenly be shocked if he's traded. 

Oh also, I disagree with you.