Marlins close out first half with 8th series win in last 12 tries

Admin

It’s really not that great.

Not great in terms of top 10-20 prospects or future stars and that is obviously the most important thing, but the great depth we've gotten over the past calender year has been really impressive.  Specifically the pitching.  Our SP and RP long term outlook is extremely promising even though it might not be filled with ace potential.  Our problem since Jose died has not only been a lack of an ace but also just a constant lack of MLB quality options.  We now are both really set in terms of cheap controllable options going forward.  Some will inevitably just become relievers but some will also likely exceed expectations. 

Just having 10-15 potential mid rotation guys at various levels in the organization is huge.  You could make a legit argument that all of the following are potential long term #3/4's or better:  Alcantara, Neidert, Lopez, Rogers, Garrett, Guzman, Yamamoto, Peters, Gallen, and Cabrera on top of already established major leaguers like Urena, Straily if we dont trade him, and to a lesser extent a healthy Caleb Smith.

To me the move is now to go hard after quality (over quantity) htiting prospects in deals with relievers and guys like Straily.  Just try to at the very least acquire 1 long term hitting starter.  Barraclough for Nolan Jones would be fantastic.

Hooray!  The Marlins are boring af to watch but they sure know how to grind day in and day out.  Three cheers for team that's not going to sniff the playoffs but isn't bad enough to get a top 3 pick either and still has a shitty farm system. 

Damn, at least this non contender out of every team we've had since 2003 actually has a smart building plan (or any plan at all for that matter) that makes sense for this market and isnt subject to the daily whims of a moron owner.  Also, this isnt the NBA where getting the #1/2 pick is a must.  If youre still picking in the top 5 youll get a great prospect.

For what its worth, I don't find this team boring to watch and I think the farm system is infinitely better today than it was last year at this time.

Expectations are everything so its hard to compare to recent years, but ya i enjoy this team.  Infinitely less without Brinson as I like to see him out there and improving rather than Maybin being terrible, but I enjoy following the minors day to day much more when the front office isnt subject to the daily whims of IMO a top 5 worst owner in sports but rather a front office led by proven leaders who are running the organization in a way that a small market team should be run

Im fine if people disagree, but im 100% fine with this team being bad in the future so long as they try to build the team the right way.  Process is always much more important than the result, and we are finally building a team with the right process.  That doesnt mean winning is guaranteed, but ill take doing it the right way over getting lucky building a team in a stupid way and sneaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the wild card round.

Hooray!  The Marlins are boring af to watch but they sure know how to grind day in and day out.  Three cheers for team that's not going to sniff the playoffs but isn't bad enough to get a top 3 pick either and still has a shitty farm system. 

I don't think they're boring to watch for what it's worth. 

If you actually watch, they're not boring. Understanding that they won't win every day, a lot of their wins are hard fought comebacks. Sunday was a great example of how fun this team can be. And in a twisted way expecting them to lose makes their wins more exciting. 

This team played good in the last two month and that's why I want to keep most of the core players for the second half and beyond,I know it's a small sample size for 45~50 games and the young players were not sure things but I'd rather played this team and hope they would improve year after year than dismantling them for more prospects and more losing seasons,I know many people want to collect as many great prospects as possible and to win the WS after five consecutive 90~100 loses seasons just like what the Astros did but I think our situation was different from their and got the great chance to compete in the shorter waiting.

But he pitched good in last game against the Phillies.

Not really he was still walking a lot of guys. He pitched fine? I guess? He won't survive/be successful if he continues to walk guys. He needs to be able to throw his curve/slider for strikes. The adjustment to throw his changeup more is fine, but people still wait on his fastball. He needs to pitch backwards and throw the slider/fastball off his changeup.

Not really he was still walking a lot of guys. He pitched fine? I guess? He won't survive/be successful if he continues to walk guys. He needs to be able to throw his curve/slider for strikes. The adjustment to throw his changeup more is fine, but people still wait on his fastball. He needs to pitch backwards and throw the slider/fastball off his changeup.

You would be a good pitching coach.

If anything, he should throw his changeup more because it’s his only good pitch.

If anything, he should throw his changeup more because it’s his only good pitch.

EXACTLY

problem is you can't throw one pitch and be successful. He needs a second pitch, any second pitch, that he can throw for strikes. He can dominate lower level talent because they can't hit his changeup, and the triple A guys aren't as good at hitting a mistake pitch. He has potential, but I might send him down again to work on his slider and getting used to pitching backwards.

Splitting hairs - his start against Philly he walked only two in six innings, which is perfectly fine.

Overall yes, too many walks.