Marlins close out first half with 8th series win in last 12 tries

Admin

That has to be the most ridiculous positive post ever.

They still gave up 13 runs over 27 innings.

"The Baltimore Orioles have given up only 7 runs in the 2nd inning all year! Spectacular! Oh man! If baseball stats only counted the 2nd inning they would be juggernauts! So close to contention!"

(I don't know how many runs the O's have given up in the 2nd inning this year)

That has to be the most ridiculous positive post ever.

They still gave up 13 runs over 27 innings.

"The Baltimore Orioles have given up only 7 runs in the 2nd inning all year! Spectacular! Oh man! If baseball stats only counted the 2nd inning they would be juggernauts! So close to contention!"

(I don't know how many runs the O's have given up in the 2nd inning this year)

No. I think it would be more like if the Orioles had given up 7 runs in all of the innings except the second inning. And they have 363 runs have been given up in the second inning specifically. 

You see there is something odd that is happening in the second inning. that is extremely different especially in the sample size you are describing. All he is doing is showing how drastically worse the team was at getting those last three outs. Suggesting that there was a problem with the team at that moment that was strange.

Yes they are both outliers, but one more interesting of a trend. if a team had one inning that they didn't give up any runs in, that would be equally as cool, but i'm not sure it would be as meaningful or interesting, as one innning where most of the runs are given up in.

Stats can lie, but to say that describing the small sample as "overly positive" is to misunderstand the nature of the statement. 

No. I think it would be more like if the Orioles had given up 7 runs in all of the innings except the second inning. And they have 363 runs have been given up in the second inning specifically. 

You see there is something odd that is happening in the second inning. that is extremely different especially in the sample size you are describing. All he is doing is showing how drastically worse the team was at getting those last three outs. Suggesting that there was a problem with the team at that moment that was strange.

Yes they are both outliers, but one more interesting of a trend. if a team had one inning that they didn't give up any runs in, that would be equally as cool, but i'm not sure it would be as meaningful or interesting, as one innning where most of the runs are given up in.

Stats can lie, but to say that describing the small sample as "overly positive" is to misunderstand the nature of the statement. 

I interpret it as 'if you remove the ninth inning, they were spectacular!'

Spencer is bringing new information into the fold, and it's information that makes the team look better than the actual results. It's overly positive.

Either way, it's not a big deal. I just think the statement is ridiculous and doesn't mean anything.