In game audio

THRILLHO

wonder if you have to provide some sort of residency proof?  Or anyone can click on it and buy them?

Maybe it's just one of those things intended for whatever community is highlighted, but if you're "in the know", you can take advantage of it even if you don't live there.  The only thing would be - I assume you're seated in a certain area, though it's not like you can't freely roam/sit elsewhere.

Agreed - Handing out free tickets works for a day but not long term, it needs to be a longer term effort (why I proposed some sort of community outreach program that people see what the team is doing for them).  Does it get old/overplayed if they do it multiple times/season per community?  If you do 3 nights/community, you're already at 30 games.

There should be a "Fort Lauderdale night" or make it a "Broward night" too - in the effort to "Miami-ize" the experience, I worry they alienate other groups of fans.  I still think they should partner with Brightline to work on getting northern fans to the games (though they'd either need a shuttle from the Brightline station, or also a Metrorail partnership, and subsequent shuttle from there to the park).

I was able to select my tickets online without any proof of residency or anything like that.

Yes it was selected sections but there were many and good ones too, not just like when they have a deal and stick everyone who gets that deal in the outfield or the upper deck in a corner. 

On the page of the neighborhood nights there was a line that specifically mentioned "we haven't forgotten about our fans up north" so I'd imagine promotions related to them are on the way or in the works as well. 

I was able to select my tickets online without any proof of residency or anything like that.

Yes it was selected sections but there were many and good ones too, not just like when they have a deal and stick everyone who gets that deal in the outfield or the upper deck in a corner. 

On the page of the neighborhood nights there was a line that specifically mentioned "we haven't forgotten about our fans up north" so I'd imagine promotions related to them are on the way or in the works as well. 

That's interesting.....might be something to take advantage of.   I know in the past, like you said, you could always tell who bought the promotion because one section was packed to the gills in an otherwise mostly empty park (I'll never understand why they wouldn't try to spread people around to at least give a look of a "filled in" crowd - sounds like that's what they're doing now)

I do recall seeing the "fans of the north" comment (game of thrones tie in?  haha).

Thinking about all this I gotta say that even as a Marlins fan who does attend games, I think promotions/giveaways do matter to a point.

I don't attend as many games as I'd like to because of several reasons... saving up money, wife and kid duties, generally busy with work and life etc etc. 

So with that said when I do choose which games I attend I do peek at promotions and giveaways and they can influence which games I pick.

Or, maybe better said: I don't go to games for promotions and giveaways but WHICH games I go to is oftentimes influenced by promotions and giveaways. And, again, from a marketing standpoint, isn't that the whole point? 

Thinking about all this I gotta say that even as a Marlins fan who does attend games, I think promotions/giveaways do matter to a point.

I don't attend as many games as I'd like to because of several reasons... saving up money, wife and kid duties, generally busy with work and life etc etc. 

So with that said when I do choose which games I attend I do peek at promotions and giveaways and they can influence which games I pick.

Or, maybe better said: I don't go to games for promotions and giveaways but WHICH games I go to is oftentimes influenced by promotions and giveaways. And, again, from a marketing standpoint, isn't that the whole point? 

Oh I completely agree - there's been plenty of times for me where I was thinking about going to a game soon or on the fence about attending a specific game, and then see it's Realmuto bobblehead night or they're running some sort of discount (though I usually get tickets on Stubhub, but if the discount is enough, I'll go through the team) and that gets me to pull the trigger.

Yeah it is usually why teams put the best promotions on days they don't expect to get a lot of fans.

[uSER=2328]@SilverBullet1929[/uSER] is right about the Sandlot giveaway.  It isn’t for my kid, it is for my generation.  While I wasn’t moved one way or the other by the giveaway it is better than the Miami Celeb giveaway because there is a baseball tie-in with the Sandlot.  As @rmc523 pointed out the marketing department seems to be trying out a lot of different angles this years.  I’m not a marketing expert but I do wonder if this is the year to try new things out.  If nobody is paying attention then how do you know if your promotion worked?  There are certain things that are guaranteed to be crowd pleasers.  People like player bobbleheads.  People like nostalgia.  People like things they can use.  People like collectables.  I feel like the promotion/giveaway formula has been tested throughout the league for decades and at this point it’s a turnkey system.  But there seems to be a point of view that Miami is this unique place that is it’s own animal that has to be solved for baseball to “work” here.  I really think this is overthinking it. 

I think it is pretty simple.  The Marlins need to assemble a team that makes the playoffs.  Forget the World Series for now.  1) Make the playoffs.  2) Then they need to sign those players to extensions.  3) Then they need to supplement through free agency.  4) Then they need to make the playoffs again with that same group.  5) Repeat cycle.  This series of events has never happened in franchise history.  That alone is the reason for the bad support.  If the team was making the playoffs once every 4 years or so, with minimal player turnover and maintaining a recognizable core at all times I think the general public could stomach the team trading a player every now and then.  Once this pattern is established and people start coming more regularly then maybe the team can go back to marketing it as a baseball team and not something which it isn’t.  Personally I want my baseball games to sound like baseball games.  I don’t need some dude holding one side of a headphone up to his ear screaming “MIAMIIII EVERYBODY MAKE SOME NOIISSSEE”.  That is the kind of ridiculous shit you see at Homecoming and Prom.

[uSER=2328]@SilverBullet1929[/uSER] is right about the Sandlot giveaway.  It isn’t for my kid, it is for my generation.  While I wasn’t moved one way or the other by the giveaway it is better than the Miami Celeb giveaway because there is a baseball tie-in with the Sandlot.  As @rmc523 pointed out the marketing department seems to be trying out a lot of different angles this years.  I’m not a marketing expert but I do wonder if this is the year to try new things out.  If nobody is paying attention then how do you know if your promotion worked?  There are certain things that are guaranteed to be crowd pleasers.  People like player bobbleheads.  People like nostalgia.  People like things they can use.  People like collectables.  I feel like the promotion/giveaway formula has been tested throughout the league for decades and at this point it’s a turnkey system.  But there seems to be a point of view that Miami is this unique place that is it’s own animal that has to be solved for baseball to “work” here.  I really think this is overthinking it. 

I think it is pretty simple.  The Marlins need to assemble a team that makes the playoffs.  Forget the World Series for now.  1) Make the playoffs.  2) Then they need to sign those players to extensions.  3) Then they need to supplement through free agency.  4) Then they need to make the playoffs again with that same group.  5) Repeat cycle.  This series of events has never happened in franchise history.  That alone is the reason for the bad support.  If the team was making the playoffs once every 4 years or so, with minimal player turnover and maintaining a recognizable core at all times I think the general public could stomach the team trading a player every now and then.  Once this pattern is established and people start coming more regularly then maybe the team can go back to marketing it as a baseball team and not something which it isn’t.  Personally I want my baseball games to sound like baseball games.  I don’t need some dude holding one side of a headphone up to his ear screaming “MIAMIIII EVERYBODY MAKE SOME NOIISSSEE”.  That is the kind of ridiculous shit you see at Homecoming and Prom.

I agree with just about all of this.

The team aspect will take a few years, so a lot of the tinkering and stuff is just "get through" ideas until they get there with the team, but I agree - consistency is what the organization is lacking (well, aside from consistently being a circus and not being good).  If they can do that, I agree fans will show up.

Here's an interesting question - in all this Miami/latin focus they're having - what are baseball games like in Latin America?  Do they have a DJ yelling at everyone?  If they're so focused on trying to infuse the team with the Latin market, can they pull ideas from there as well?

I’m not a marketing expert but I do wonder if this is the year to try new things out.  If nobody is paying attention then how do you know if your promotion worked?

In that case this is the absolute best year to try things out. If attendance is bad and there are tiny boosts in attendance when specific promotions and giveaways are done then it's easier to give credit to the promotion.

For example on the contrary, if you do a Pitbull bobblehead when the team is good and attendance is already up how can they realistically find out if people actually showed up for the pitbull bobblehead? Like Opening Day they always give out those magnetic schedules but opening day is generally always a sell out or at the least the biggest crowd of the year so there's no way someone in marketing can say "Well look at that crowd... I guess the magnetic schedules were a huge hit!"

Hate to bring this up because I know the comparison it ends up leading to but I curiously wonder what's the amount of promotions and giveaways that the team with the highest attendance do? Do they do zero promotions or do they still have some and I wonder, quantity wise, if they have the same number of promotions as the teams with bad attendance? And if so I wonder how much they "work"? Would teams with great attendance have any drops in attendance if they didn't do giveaways? I know it wouldn't be a huge difference but I wonder how much giveaways impact attendance for the teams without attendance issues. 

In that case this is the absolute best year to try things out. If attendance is bad and there are tiny boosts in attendance when specific promotions and giveaways are done then it's easier to give credit to the promotion.

For example on the contrary, if you do a Pitbull bobblehead when the team is good and attendance is already up how can they realistically find out if people actually showed up for the pitbull bobblehead? Like Opening Day they always give out those magnetic schedules but opening day is generally always a sell out or at the least the biggest crowd of the year so there's no way someone in marketing can say "Well look at that crowd... I guess the magnetic schedules were a huge hit!"

You’re absolutely right. 

NGL, those pitbul ones will have a place in my home if I can get one really cheap.

Me and an Ex had a theory:

No matter what, no matter where you are... one way or another... you're going to see, hear or have someone mention Pitbul by name or with one of his songs or just a photograph in the background of where you are.

Because of this promotion, I can't escape him. His bobble been on my twitter and instagram feeds for two weeks.

I've been "Pitbul'd" for the last three years almost daily. Music on the radio, spotify randomly adding him to a completed playlist-  a bar or nightclub, a car next to me.... the big ol poster in Miami Subs- His bobbleheads or news reports on WSVN.

He's truly Mr. Worldwide, 305, and I'mma bout to commit suicide- Dale!

@rmc523 looks like you were right about them doing community events first...

[ATTACH]2082[/ATTACH]

There ya go.  Otherwise it seemed to me as just your average __insert name here__ night and not really an effort to involve the community around the team.  It'll be interesting to see how these events are received.

Apparently celebrity bobbleheads can work. That’s a significant boost.

I would love to know what other factors might have contributed to the boost but, as we said the other day, when attendance is so bad it's way easier to pinpoint what works and doesn't work and to have this much of a jump for today's game is pretty significant. 

I would love to know what other factors might have contributed to the boost but, as we said the other day, when attendance is so bad it's way easier to pinpoint what works and doesn't work and to have this much of a jump for today's game is pretty significant. 

I really have a hard time thinking a statistically significant amount of people were swayed by a pitbull bobblehead.  Also, have we completely given up on making bobbleheads of players until we know who will be here long term?  Cause first it was the sandlot bobblehead day and now pitbull and maybe its just my sensibilities but i think those giveaways are god awful.

I really have a hard time thinking a statistically significant amount of people were swayed by a pitbull bobblehead.  Also, have we completely given up on making bobbleheads of players until we know who will be here long term?  Cause first it was the sandlot bobblehead day and now pitbull and maybe its just my sensibilities but i think those giveaways are god awful.

They had a bour one recently.

Well we just had a long discussion about all of this so maybe I'm just being redundant here but...

I believe the celebrity bobbleheads are a marketing experiment to see if people would actually show up for them especially when attendance has never shown to increase with baseball bobbleheads anyways. And then after discussing that, suddenly attendance jumps up around 3 or 4 thousand people the day of the Pitbull bobblehead. While I do agree that there could have been other factors in this attendance jump, they can't ignore what happened here. 

At first I'd have never thought this was possible but today's attendance was definitely eye raising. 

Well we just had a long discussion about all of this so maybe I'm just being redundant here but...

I believe the celebrity bobbleheads are a marketing experiment to see if people would actually show up for them especially when attendance has never shown to increase with baseball bobbleheads anyways. And then after discussing that, suddenly attendance jumps up around 3 or 4 thousand people the day of the Pitbull bobblehead. While I do agree that there could have been other factors in this attendance jump, they can't ignore what happened here. 

At first I'd have never thought this was possible but today's attendance was definitely eye raising. 

If Pitbull bobble head is bringing in almost 12k, id like to us experience with a Donald Trump one. We could prolly get around 15k+ with that imo.

The attendance today was only like 500 more than yesterday so its possible but id view it as unlikely.  I think it was mostly due to the team we were playing.  Just my opinion, but its pretty obvious that any team in this market will be supported when they succeed and wont be supported (attendance wise) when they dont. Its the same with every team in this market so we might just live in a very fair weather market.   They can and will try little things to eek out every last fan at the gates going forward, but I think its very unlikely that we do anything off the field that will significantly impact that, aside from maybe a showing from the front office that the team will be built and maintained differently moving forward.

The more I think about it, the more I think we're selling the celebrity bobbleheads short.

Imagine you walk into your local Miami Walmart and there's Billy The Marlin and he's handing out your choice of one bobblehead, either Pitbull or JT Realmuto, to every person who walks into that store.

Essentially everyone on this forum will take the Realmuto bobblehead... but how about the rest of the regular people walking into that store?

I don't think it's hard to believe that the majority of those people will choose the Pitbull bobblehead. 

They are trying to acquire new fans, maybe it works and maybe it doesn’t. You got some people there today who maybe hadn’t gone to a game before this season. but wanted the bobble head. They kept hearing in the news about it being a minor league team. Then they see that team dominate a playoff contending national team. Maybe they become more inclined to come again. Who knows?  Worth a try to use a different approach.