Barraclough

Donna

A scout's take on Barraclough and him not being traded already...

“My gut told me he’s not a ninth-inning guy. He’s probably more of a mid-reliever for a championship-caliber team. If the plan was to trade him, they held onto him too long. They were treating him as if he was Craig Kimbrel; they wanted four guys for him. They overvalued him and he pitched like garbage before the deadline and it killed them. But he is under team control for three more years.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article216509395.html

He wasn't traded because nobody offered a good return package since it was no secret that his success as closer was short and likely to stop. People like Erick think only he knows Bearclaw was going to regress, it wasn't some secret. No team was paying up big for a guy that didn't have sustained success as closer as of yet. Unlike a guy like Brad Hand who had sustained success.

He wasn't traded because nobody offered a good return package since it was no secret that his success as closer was short and likely to stop. People like Erick think only he knows Bearclaw was going to regress, it wasn't some secret. No team was paying up big for a guy that didn't have sustained success as closer as of yet. Unlike a guy like Brad Hand who had sustained success.

Yes on all counts but was the Marlins price tag on him too high? 

He wasn’t traded because they had an absurd asking price. Read the article. They overvalued him. 

If teams saw Barraclough as a middle reliever, his true value was probably somewhere between what the Rays got for Andriese and what the Rangers got for Kela. I'm guessing a fringe top 20 guy + a lottery ticket. Would people have been happy with that? I think it's OK but I'm not sure if I care too much because I think they could probably get something similar at next year's deadline.

If teams saw Barraclough as a middle reliever, his true value was probably somewhere between what the Rays got for Andriese and what the Rangers got for Kela. I'm guessing a fringe top 20 guy + a lottery ticket. Would people have been happy with that? I think it's OK but I'm not sure if I care too much because I think they could probably get something similar at next year's deadline.

Lol yes.

One of the guys the Rays got for Andriese is currently their starting catcher. And Barraclough is better than Andriese.