Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

And I’m not just posting this because he’s swinging the bat well right now.

Offer JT Realmuto a nice extension and build around a good player. He’s perhaps the closest thing to a 5-tool catcher in the big leagues.

Lets not trade him for more prospects who are going to strike out 40% of the time.

The question with Realmuto is how much does the front office want to build around him? I feel like so far it's been a balancing act. He requested a trade and they did entertain offers for him so I don't think they see him as untouchable... yet they never did trade him so maybe they do prefer to keep him if possible. Time will tell. I think at least starting by offering an extension is the way to go... with that said, I don't see them doing that for some time. May not be for another year that they think about offering him anything. 

The question with Realmuto is how much does the front office want to build around him? I feel like so far it's been a balancing act. He requested a trade and they did entertain offers for him so I don't think they see him as untouchable... yet they never did trade him so maybe they do prefer to keep him if possible. Time will tell. I think at least starting by offering an extension is the way to go... with that said, I don't see them doing that for some time. May not be for another year that they think about offering him anything. 

I don’t know why they don’t do it.

Also, if you look at the blueprint they’re trying to follow of championship teams that built from the ground up, they all had a guy they committed to before they reached the point of being great teams. The Astros gave Altuve an extension, the Cubs did it with Rizzo, the Royals committed to Salvador Perez. Etc. Even now, with a team like the Braves who have gotten a lot better, they built around Freddie Freeman.

At some point, you have to keep some players. JT Realmuto is a keeper for many reasons. A case could’ve been made for Yelich, but maybe more so for Realmuto considering he’s a catcher. It’s incredibly difficult to find a catcher to build around. We would know that considering all the bad catchers we had in this franchise post-Pudge/before Realmuto arrived. 

I think Yelich and Realmuto were the ones to build around. I don’t give a shit that he requested a trade. He was just butthurt that they traded a couple guys but he would have been over it. trading him for top talent would have been fine but honestly this package sucked. They rushed into trading him to the first team that didn’t offer peanuts. Brinson has a terrible approach at the plate and a terribly long swing. Yelich is a proven all star outfielder and in my opinion warranted a Robles/acuna type talent. If you don’t get that, keep him. Just like they did with JT. 

I think Yelich and Realmuto were the ones to build around. I don’t give a shit that he requested a trade. He was just butthurt that they traded a couple guys but he would have been over it. trading him for top talent would have been fine but honestly this package sucked. They rushed into trading him to the first team that didn’t offer peanuts. Brinson has a terrible approach at the plate and a terribly long swing. Yelich is a proven all star outfielder and in my opinion warranted a Robles/acuna type talent. If you don’t get that, keep him. Just like they did with JT. 

they got a great deal for yelich, and brinson will be fine. Diaz and Harrison will be studs, and Yamamoto has a chance to be a rotation arm or bullpen arm.

Let’s all start a movement on the Marlins “Dimelo Miami” page to make sure this team doesn’t trade JT Realmuto, a top 5 catcher in his prime. 

Realmuto doesn’t want to play baseball for Miami anymore.  A couple of fun wins and losing 17 games this month (and April isn’t gone yet) didn’t change his mindset that he made clear to the media after the firesale. 

He’s just playing nice now with his comments (likely at his agents request).  

And I think your view on Brinson and his early results is very short sighted. He should have never been brought up this soon.  That’s all on Jeter and his band of boobs. 

Realmuto doesn’t want to play baseball for Miami anymore.  A couple of fun wins and losing 17 games this month (and April isn’t gone yet) didn’t change his mindset that he made clear to the media after the firesale. 

Where did he say this? Sounds like you're assuming this. He may have wanted out when half our offense was traded away but that doesn't mean he can't eventually change his mind if he likes being the centerpiece of this team going forward. 

While I think Miami ultimately will win the Yelich trade, this is a ridiculously optimistic statement even coming from you. 

because im not freaking out about their first 20 games at a new level?  Diaz has been incredibly promising even though he got off to a slow start.  Great OBP and power from a 2b.

because im not freaking out about their first 20 games at a new level?  Diaz has been incredibly promising even though he got off to a slow start.  Great OBP and power from a 2b.

If Diaz and Harrison don’t both become 3+ WAR players,  your prediction will be wrong.  Agreed? 

Guest CHRISTYTOD

I am all for it.......KEEP JT!!!!  I have hoped for this right out of the gate. He doesn't appear to be an unhappy camper who is sulking that is friends are gone. He is playing well, seems to be enjoying it, and he has some other veterans who will be coming off the DL this week. That should be refreshing. Ok - mark me down. KEEP JT!!!!

100% on board with keeping JT, have been for a long time.  JT is a really good player and catcher and has shown to be consistently so at a position that really doesn't get a lot of standouts anymore. He's got the tools, and I think of everyone in our organization, he's a great piece to build around and at least give us something to hold onto as fans.

obviously everyone wants to keep JT long term.  Thats not the issue.  The issue is him wanting to be here long term.  And its something that we have to figure out by the winter meetings at the latest.  if you cant convince him by then, even offering to overpay, you have no choice but to deal him.

Maybe keeping him won't be the worst thing. Maybe wait it out until the end of the year to offer him a good deal, and move to trade him if he rejects. Of course, if you get blown away at the trade deadline with an offer, you pull the trigger. But only if someone gets crazy.

But you said they will both be STUDS. 

I didn’t say it.  You said it. 

yup, i dont base my opinions off small sample sizes, if i did, id tell you they both had a double and a hr tonight, and tell yu that ISan diaz went 4-5 with a HR and 2 doubles and that Harrison had a Hr, 2b, and single. its almost as if you are making judgments based off small sample sizes and unrelenting cynicism