Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

Now that that's cleared up... trade him.

With that said... was an offer presented? How about wait until the Marlins give a fair offer and then see if Realmuto wants it or not once it's presented. Doing it this way robs Realmuto of the opportunity to be presented with a fair payday and also, saying he'll definitely be on a different team next year is putting the cart before the horse, trying to force a trade when the Marlins still don't have to trade JT if they would rather keep him for 2019 on a one year contract. What a wonderful agent Realmuto seems to have here.

Obviously he's discussed this with JT and he either wants out or the Marlins made clear they weren't offering him fair value.

What gets us to contention quicker? Keeping Realmuto and building around him or trading him for the right prospects?

Not sure if you have heard Scoop talk about it, but it actually makes sense. If the Marlins offer an extension to JT then they are selling him on the point that they can compete within the next 2 years. You also gotta think the contract is gonna be for 4-5 years and buy out at a couple free agent years. 

I still don't think this team starts competing until 2021 which is year 3 of the contract. They need to clear all the money off the books and not jump the gun on this rebuild. They drafted some solid prospects but guys like Brinson took steps back when they were projecting to do a lot better.

Obviously he's discussed this with JT and he either wants out or the Marlins made clear they weren't offering him fair value.

You don't know if an offer was presented yet. Of course the agent knows what the player wants but this could also be the agent stirring up shit before the Marlins got their chance to present their offer.

I expect JT will be gone... I would like him to stay but with him entering prime playing years and looking to make a payday, why stay and rebuild if you can get in with a team built to make playoffs now... if the Marlins trade him before Free Agency then it's win-win for him (and us if Mike Hill doesn't fuck up the trade)... I don't think less of him if that is his rationale ... 

who knows if joe is in the neighborhood with these figures but if JT would agree to four years $80 million I would give it to him

That is very good money. I am just not in the camp of back loading the deal. So if they are gonna offer something like they pay him out right $20 million per year while you have the money.

You don't know if an offer was presented yet. Of course the agent knows what the player wants but this could also be the agent stirring up shit before the Marlins got their chance to present their offer.

Yeah but JT might not care what the offer is. He'll get a great deal from whoever trades for him. He just wants out and the agent is making it clear.

Well I was just bringing up how some agents are full of shit... but with that said I do think this guy is saying what JT wants him to say so I'm perfectly fine with exploring trades for him now.

But when it happens, people better remember that this direction came from JT and his agent so they can avoid the same tired complaints about Jeter purposely trying to ruin this team.

See, the problem now after last offseason.....all any player has to do is cry they want out and won't be signing an extension, and bam, they're gone, we do it.

Well if he won’t sign an extension, we have to trade him because he only has two years left and his value won’t go higher realistically. 

Honestly, I’m at peace with this. Realmuto will be in his 30’s by the time the Marlins are ready to contend. Trade him this offseason. Get it over with. I’d like the Marlins to deal with San Diego or the Los Angeles Dodgers preferably. Atlanta has a good farm system too, but unless they offer a King’s Ransom, I don’t want JT in the division. 

Well if he won’t sign an extension, we have to trade him because he only has two years left and his value won’t go higher realistically. 

I agree. Trade him asap. I appreciate what he did for the Marlins, but trading him is going to help the farm big time. I really like Francisco Mejia on San Diego. Padre fans are big on him. Padres also have a great farm, I think the best in baseball, if I am not mistaken. 

If you were JT Realmuto, would you sign an extension with the Marlins or sign a multi-million dollar contract with a team that’s not in a rebuild?

It is a tough call because he's 2 years from free agency. He's taking a gamble if he actually turns down a big extension from the Marlins.

If the agent is taking his direction for JT — and any decent agent of course should be taking direction from the player they represent — then this is a dickkkkkk move. Even if it’s a negotiation tactic to get a better deal from the Marlins, it’s an ugly, ugly way to do it. More than likely JT wants out, and his agent is creating pressure for the Marlins to do so.

If that’s the case, then whatever, fuck you and the bicycle you rode in on.

It is a tough call because he's 2 years from free agency. He's taking a gamble if he actually turns down a big extension from the Marlins.

Right. The Marlins leverage point is something like: “Well, we aren’t trading you, so take the extension or risk getting hurt or having a down year and thereby leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table.”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.