Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

I got the point from the beginning, but what to do if nobody willing to match our asking price in the end ? never said it's impossible to happen, so if you're not willing to settle on the lower return then "overpaid" to sign him would be your only choice, right ?

No then you just let him walk after 2020. There are 3 options here, not 2. Trade him for the best possible return, sign him to an extension, or do neither and he leaves in 2020. If we can't get the trade return we want that doesn't mean we are forced to keep him past 2020. 

It's fucked up but I'm gonna go ahead and say this... I hope Realmuto gets traded to the Mets and then signs an extension there and then I hope the Mets fall apart and have to rebuild while JT is still there. 

Agreed this would be stellar. 

But the dream scenario is JT wins the 2019 NL MVP. 

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/marlins-keeping-an-open-mind-on-jt-realmuto/c-301433764

"MLB.com has learned that the Marlins have been willing -- as a starting point in talks -- to strike a five- or six-year deal with Realmuto that would -- after covering his remaining two arbitration seasons -- have an average annual value (AAV) during his would-be free-agent years (starting in 2021) of at least $16 million. "

Really !?

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/news/marlins-keeping-an-open-mind-on-jt-realmuto/c-301433764

"MLB.com has learned that the Marlins have been willing -- as a starting point in talks -- to strike a five- or six-year deal with Realmuto that would -- after covering his remaining two arbitration seasons -- have an average annual value (AAV) during his would-be free-agent years (starting in 2021) of at least $16 million. "

Really !?

Makes zero sense if you're not willing to bring in other FA's that can actually push the team to compete for a playoff spot. 

Makes zero sense if you're not willing to bring in other FA's that can actually push the team to compete for a playoff spot. 

They're going to spend money in FA. it just isn't going to be this year.  I expect we might start seeing some of it next year.

This would create stability for our young pitchers, as well as lock in the best catcher in the game. I'm all for it!

In the projected payrolls they had a payroll exceeding 100 million in 2020 IIRC and that was a huge number considering how many players would be in arby or auto renewal. It points to multiple FA signings.

Really !?

Negotiations and leverage. Both sides leaking out into to help their cause. 

I'm over this Mets trade idea. These are all downgrades. They would have to give us a deal where the quantity becomes more quality than just quality if that makes any sense. So basically I dont see any deal that the Mets can do that would work. 

The only way it works is if you flip some people to someone like Cleveland for a starter.  Supposedly the Mets were talking with them about a few guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.