Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

What happens if they strike out 3 times and don't even get one of those runs home? Isn't a sac fly better than not bringing even one run home? Can't always play waiting for the grand slam right? 

Just saying, at what point are the Marlins not being realistic and then JT goes nowhere and we get nothing for him ever? 

It's hard to say without being privy to negotiations. A lot of teams still need catchers, Harper and Machado are out there. We're not at the point of no return yet. But it's getting closer once some major moves come in from the big boy contenders. It's posturing, and it's annoying to us while we wait.

I find it hard to believe no one is going to step up for the only 4+ WAR catcher in baseball, at 28 years old, so I appreciate them holding out. They probably know a bunch of deals they'll take, but are just waiting to see if a desperation overpay comes in until it becomes really necessary to move on.

Let's see if Philly signs Machado and the Braves trade for Kluber. That should get the Mets attention real quick.

There’s probably a lot of this going on:

Marlins FO meeting Astros FO in a dark hallway: “Hey, we’ve got a deal with ATL, you’ve got 7 hours to offer something better.” Dalé.  

Other guys from Marlins FO meeting guys from ATL FO in the high limit lounge bar,”hey, we’ve got a deal in place with NYM, you guys have 6 hours to unfuck yourselves or you’re going to miss out on the best catcher in baseball.”

etc etc

What happens if they strike out 3 times and don't even get one of those runs home? Isn't a sac fly better than not bringing even one run home? Can't always play waiting for the grand slam right? 

Just saying, at what point are the Marlins not being realistic and then JT goes nowhere and we get nothing for him ever? 

They will always be able to settle for a lower offer, they may as well wait. They don't have to trade him right now and if they have to sell low, there's no reason to do it now. Could wait til July if the offers aren't fair right now and see if a contender gets desperate then.

There’s probably a lot of this going on:

Marlins FO meeting Astros FO in a dark hallway: “Hey, we’ve got a deal with ATL, you’ve got 7 hours to offer something better.” Dalé.  

Other guys from Marlins FO meeting guys from ATL FO in the high limit lounge bar,”hey, we’ve got a deal in place with NYM, you guys have 6 hours to unfuck yourselves or you’re going to miss out on the best catcher in baseball.”

etc etc

offseason trade fuckery

I love Bellinger. Obviously it matters what else we get with him but I like hearing he'd be in it if it happens.

I like Bellinger also but the Dodgers have a good farm system.  Maybe we should take more prospects and get a better haul back.  The insistence  on getting proven young talent back, while understandable, is just adding more obstacles to getting a trade done.

I actually like the Reds interest.  They do have some assets at various levels of the minors and some controllable major leaguers too.  Additionally I don’t see their front office as being as difficult to work with as Atlanta and New YorK.   I’d feel bad for JT because I don’t trust Cincinnati to get their act together for him and compete.   

I mean...big JT fan and all but...I'm kinda gonna laugh a bit if the return we get for JT eclipses the returns we got for Cabrera, Hanley, Yelich, Stanton, etc etc etc. 

Well he's more valuable than Stanton last year, so it will eclipse it.

I think it's very arguable JT is more valuable now than Hanley in 2012 (with 2.5 years left on his deal, coming off a .9 WAR injured season and just doing OK in season 2012).

Yelich and Cabrera were insanely more valuable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.