Realmuto traded to Phillies

I wonder if anyone is considering that the delays and craziness of this is due to the following possibility:

Teams are used to ripping Mike Hill off in the past, and him being able to get the sign-off from the higher ups on his preferred deals.

However, this time, Jeter is not signing off and is sending Hill back to the negotiation table until he comes back with what Jeter has made clear his new team wants (Denbo, etc.)

Teams are thinking that Hill will get Jeter to budge because Hill always folded in the past and got the previous regime to sign off. However, Jeter hasn't budged on the final sign-off, or is keeping note that if he can't get what he wants, it will clearly fall on Hill's head and reputation in the game as a dimwit.

Remember, Jeter feels that Hill has to prove that he can do his job.

So given the number of teams that have been in on JT at various times this winter, and given that the Marlins are clearly asking for enough to make this go on for some time, so we all think that this process accurately states his market value?  Your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay.  So as it applies to a ball player....

So given the number of teams that have been in on JT at various times this winter, and given that the Marlins are clearly asking for enough to make this go on for some time, so we all think that this process accurately states his market value?  Your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay.  So as it applies to a ball player....

Agreed. However, I'm wondering how much of the delays have to do with Mike Hill still being the guy in negotiations when teams are used to him being a part of so many bad trades under the previous ownership, so they think they can wait him out like they've done in the past? However, the snag this time is that Jeter and Co. (Gary Denbo, etc.) are not budging and are not willing to sign off on anything that has been offered so far.

Maybe the Marlins get what they want faster if they remove Hill from the negotiations, so it's clear to these other teams that there are no dimwits in the room that will fold?

This thing has gotten ridiculous, and the only thing I can figure is teams think they can get a steal again from Hill, but this time the guy with the rubber stamp (Jeter with Denbo and the rest of the team's advisement) isn't signing off. In the past, this trade would've been done for far less return with Hill and the previous front office and ownership regime.

Agreed. However, I'm wondering how much of the delays have to do with Mike Hill still being the guy in negotiations when teams are used to him being a part of so many bad trades under the previous ownership, so they think they can wait him out like they've done in the past? However, the snag this time is that Jeter and Co. (Gary Denbo, etc.) are not budging and are not willing to sign off on anything that has been offered so far.

Maybe the Marlins get what they want faster if they remove Hill from the negotiations, so it's clear to these other teams that there are no dimwits in the room that will fold?

This thing has gotten ridiculous, and the only thing I can figure is teams think they can get a steal again from Hill, but this time the guy with the rubber stamp (Jeter with Denbo and the rest of the team's advisement) isn't signing off. In the past, this trade would've been done for far less return with Hill and the previous front office and ownership regime.

pretty sure Jeter and Denbo were around when we got fleeced in that Yelich deal. So... not sure this is all on Hill.

This is pretty funny to think about... Hill keeps getting calls from GMs trying to give him a shit return and he keeps telling them "Come on guys its not like that anymore I swear I'm allowed to ask for more now." 

This is pretty funny to think about... Hill keeps getting calls from GMs trying to give him a shit return and he keeps telling them "Come on guys its not like that anymore I swear I'm allowed to ask for more now." 

I actually imagined him saying it with that dumb mellow voice of his.

I find his No response very close to Beaky Buzzard

68365950.jpg&key=25130d6744c698165d2335b0af40b71cc660edc48a5ef18f480350ff7f88c8be

I think too much is read into Mike Hill being the negotiator.  This is just the growing trend in MLB.  Look at free agency again this year.  Harper and Machado are still unsigned and their market for that close to $400 Million dollar contract never materialiized.  It's not Mike Hill that's negotiating those contracts. 

Owners are hiring very sharp, young front office execs who now have tons of data at their disposal and they realize how dumb it is to commit large dollar amounts to aging veterans.  Not that Harper and Machado are aging.  However, the point remains that they are putting a high premium on prospects because they are so cheap, comparatively speaking, through their first 6 plus season's of control.  That's probably all that's going on here.

I think too much is read into Mike Hill being the negotiator.  This is just the growing trend in MLB.  Look at free agency again this year.  Harper and Machado are still unsigned and their market for that close to $400 Million dollar contract never materialiized.  It's not Mike Hill that's negotiating those contracts. 

Owners are hiring very sharp, young front office execs who now have tons of data at their disposal and they realize how dumb it is to commit large dollar amounts to aging veterans.  Not that Harper and Machado are aging.  However, the point remains that they are putting a high premium on prospects because they are so cheap, comparatively speaking, through their first 6 plus season's of control.  That's probably all that's going on here.

This...

AND....Machado is signicantly overrated. He has posted a +.900 ops just once, and it was .905. Factor in that he isn’t entirely motivated to hustle on a consistent basis, and that my friends is how you get laughed out of the room for asking for 400 million 

This...

AND....Machado is signicantly overrated. He has posted a +.900 ops just once, and it was .905. Factor in that he isn’t entirely motivated to hustle on a consistent basis, and that my friends is how you get laughed out of the room for asking for 400 million 

???

He’s a plus defender at a premium position. The fact that he even sniffs a .900 OPS while under 26 years old is mind-blowing. He’s had a 6+ fWAR three of the last 4 years. He’s super elite. If he’s not worth $400M, it’s just because basically no one is in this market (except maybe Trout).

Padres are now linked to Gio Gonzalez as well. They could take advantage of this buyers market and swoop in and make a slew of moves and get into the postseason talk real quick. 

Looking like they could add Machado or Harper along with Gio and JT. Think it gets done this weekend. Someone needs to blink... right?...

The Marlins' interest in San Diego catching prospect Francisco Mejia is not especially high, meaning the Padres likely will need to include at least one of infielder Fernando Tatis Jr., left-hander MacKenzie Gore, or infielder Luis Urias in any successful offer for Realmuto.

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-looking-at-harper-machado-gonzalez/c-303418256