Press conference scheduled for Monday at 11 AM

Admin

It's a little surprised that VVM got the super high signing bonus money at $5 million,the No.2 ranked international prospect got only $3.5 million.

Thats what tends to happen when there’s bidding wars. If Miami wouldn’t have given it to them, Baltimore was.

It also makes me think: One, the Mesas were never intrested in being part of a three player signing along with Gaston and just wanted a team’s entire pool money for their family or two, Gaston got too expensive and the Mesas knew he would be signing elsewhere so they asked for all the team’s money.

I think the signing of all three together was a wishful desire for the Marlins but neither the Mesas nor Gaston ever expressed any feelings about getting that done. Not that Gaston couldn't have still signed with us but some where making it seem like the package deal was the 3 of them together and that wasn't the case.

And now that I think about it, who was the #2 IFA? And why does nobody mention him? Is it because he's not Cuban? 

I think the signing of all three together was a wishful desire for the Marlins but neither the Mesas nor Gaston ever expressed any feelings about getting that done. Not that Gaston couldn't have still signed with us but some where making it seem like the package deal was the 3 of them together and that wasn't the case.

And now that I think about it, who was the #2 IFA? And why does nobody mention him? Is it because he's not Cuban? 

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=int

also, interesting write up on Gaston at #16

Scouting grades: Fastball: 70 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50

The question isn't if Gaston can pitch. It's whether he will be a starter or pitch out of the bullpen one day. The most skeptical scouts wonder if he will throw enough strikes.

Here's why: Gaston is an especially hard thrower. His fastball has been clocked as 97 mph and it's not uncommon for him to sit at 94-95. That type of velocity is rare in any market and not surprisingly, some scouts wonder if he will be able to command the high velocity on a consistent basis. But his skill is extraordinary, and Gaston is the type of pitcher any club would like to put it in its system, though the Marlins have emerged as the favorites to sign him.

In terms of secondary pitches, the belief is that those will develop once he signs with a team and receives daily instruction in an academy.

Gaston gave up one hit, struck out a batter and walked one at MLB's International Prospect Showcase in February. He didn't show his best fastball or command.

The right-handed pitcher is from Matanzas, Cuba, and trains with Yuan Pino.