Nick Anderson acquired, Dietrich DFA'd

Ema2R

2.4 WAR

1.5 WAR

.8 WAR that was bitten because he shouldn't be OFer

For a team that really sucks, this is a really bad move

I think they could have gotten a bullpen arm, but its abundantly clear you can get those 1b/corner OF types for very cheap and this years free agency might make last years look like a players market.  Teams seem to be getting smarter and smarter about the surplus value of a guy like dietrich relative to another replacement level guy you can find.  

That’s debatable.  He had starters PA for three years because of things like Gordon PEDs Prado injuries and last year selloffs. He’s not starting for a playoff team 

Well he doesn't have to be a starter on a playoff team. I mean for gods sake, Bour got traded and Dietrich is a far more useful player especially off the bench. They've both had similiar career highs in WAR and dietrich is younger and more versatile. So yeah, I still think he was a solid trade piece worth at least a project minor leaguer. They just let him go for nothing...

I think they could have gotten a bullpen arm, but its abundantly clear you can get those 1b/corner OF types for very cheap and this years free agency might make last years look like a players market.  Teams seem to be getting smarter and smarter about the surplus value of a guy like dietrich relative to another replacement level guy you can find.  

DD plays average to above average 3b/2b. He's terrible in the OF which is why he's not mid 1s WAR this year

Well he doesn't have to be a starter on a playoff team. I mean for gods sake, Bour got traded and Dietrich is a far more useful player especially off the bench. They've both had similiar career highs in WAR and dietrich is younger and more versatile. So yeah, I still think he was a solid trade piece worth at least a project minor leaguer. They just let him go for nothing...

he's absolutely a Left hand utility guy on any WS bench (Bour no versatility)

DD plays average to above average 3b/2b. He's terrible in the OF which is why he's not mid 1s WAR this year

Youre severely overrating his ability at 2b/3b.  He might be average there, but he is in no way above average and he has not graded out positively at any position in his career according to fangraphs.  He is the perfect DH/platoon guy for an AL team like oakland, but for a team like us given his arbitration status he might just be the type of player who had no value across the league when you look at what you will be able to get 1b/corner OF guys for again this offseason.

Youre severely overrating his ability at 2b/3b.  He might be average there, but he is in no way above average and he has not graded out positively at any position in his career according to fangraphs.  He is the perfect DH/platoon guy for an AL team like oakland, but for a team like us given his arbitration status he might just be the type of player who had no value across the league when you look at what you will be able to get 1b/corner OF guys for again this offseason.

m8 check his def WAR on Fangraphs when he was an IFer - the same Fangraphs that a lot of mlb front offices uses. He WAS above average at IF in 2016 and slightly below avg in 2017 in IF. He was horrible in the OF.

Guys if anyone wanted Dietrich he would've been traded last year. He was a clear non-tender heading into '19 and they probably would've taken anything (like they did with Bour).

this is probably, but he was better 1st half and can play 2b/3b.

I don't give them benefit of the doubt tho because they clearly could have moved claw for something of value

m8 check his def WAR on Fangraphs when he was an IFer - the same Fangraphs that a lot of mlb front offices uses. He WAS above average at IF in 2016 and slightly below avg in 2017 in IF. He was horrible in the OF.

exactly, thats about average and again, he is a career .750 OPS guy in a league that is clearly finding it easier and easier to find for much cheaper than 5 million.  I mean CJ Cron hit 30 hr's last year and OPS'ed over .800 and got DFA'd.  These types of players just arent as valued as they used to be.

exactly, thats about average and again, he is a career .750 OPS guy in a league that is clearly finding it easier and easier to find for much cheaper than 5 million.  I mean CJ Cron hit 30 hr's last year and OPS'ed over .800 and got DFA'd.  These types of players just arent as valued as they used to be.

1 WAR in today's game = $9m

IE Rays move it was a bad one. Dickerson was 3.0 WAR last year, 1 WAR more than his replacement  (Cron)