Nick Anderson acquired, Dietrich DFA'd

Ema2R

I got over this move in about 3 mins. I'm still more curious about why they let Ichiro go than Dietrich. Dietrich had no future here and there's enough outfield guys who can get playing time over Dietrich. 

If anything I'm more thinking about how Dietrich had been here for six years and was finally getting consistent playing time and that he may have been one of the few holdovers who actually wanted to stay with the Marlins so this might have been a real kick in the gut to him today. That part of it sucks. 

I got over this move in about 3 mins. I'm still more curious about why they let Ichiro go than Dietrich. Dietrich had no future here and there's enough outfield guys who can get playing time over Dietrich. 

If anything I'm more thinking about how Dietrich had been here for six years and was finally getting consistent playing time and that he may have been one of the few holdovers who actually wanted to stay with the Marlins so this might have been a real kick in the gut to him today. That part of it sucks. 

ehhh DD homegrown and underdog...he was fun to watch come on mon and he was successful in his time here which was a while. I'm over it too but buff DD was really fun

His problem is he's expensive ($5m) and we have too many young prospect OFers and 2b/3b are extremely occupied. I guarantee he gets at least 1/$5m somewhere if not 2/12 or something

DD plays average to above average 3b/2b. He's terrible in the OF which is why he's not mid 1s WAR this year

Yeah, I don't get the knock on his INF D.  He's no gold glover but he's above average.  I'd much rather have DD than Prado although I realize that we have to keep Prado because of his contract.

Well he doesn't have to be a starter on a playoff team. I mean for gods sake, Bour got traded and Dietrich is a far more useful player especially off the bench. They've both had similiar career highs in WAR and dietrich is younger and more versatile. So yeah, I still think he was a solid trade piece worth at least a project minor leaguer. They just let him go for nothing...

Bour is actually a good comp for what I’m trying to convey.  Yes he got traded for a player so you’re correct about that. But he landed on  team that was sub .500 and was used in pinch hitting situations with an occasional start. Dietrich has a place on a roster. But he’s not starting unless circumstances dictate it (like it’s a poor team or the real starter is out for an extended period of time).  

The Marlins will be bad for a long time. 

Because they let go of Derek Dietrich???

And I dunno if Dietrich gets a ring anytime soon. Not every great team has a spot for him. If they did he'd have been traded and not DFAd. I think people are overvaluing a guy we got rid of... wait, deja vu?

Lastly, telling Deets ahead of time is another example of a non Loria move. Very nice. 

Because they let go of Derek Dietrich???

And I dunno if Dietrich gets a ring anytime soon. Not every great team has a spot for him. If they did he'd have been traded and not DFAd. I think people are overvaluing a guy we got rid of... wait, deja vu?

Lastly, telling Deets ahead of time is another example of a non Loria move. Very nice. 

Also more and more we are seeing teams league wide DFA players that you wouldn’t think.  

I liked Schales. What he showed this year made me think he might develop enough power to be a real major leaguer. I guess Denbo disagrees.

Nick Anderson is thought to be a reliever with some upside. The thought is we can get immediate value out of him. Dunno what he throws, but I know he gets K's, and doesn't walk a lot of guys. He gives up some Home Runs, but I think he is coming from the PCL so I would imagine that might drop to a more normal range. Potentially we got a good reliever.

Best Case future closer/ late bloomer. Worst case his HR/9 are a symptom of a greater problem and he gets shelled in the show.

I liked Schales. What he showed this year made me think he might develop enough power to be a real major leaguer. I guess Denbo disagrees.

Nick Anderson is thought to be a reliever with some upside. The thought is we can get immediate value out of him. Dunno what he throws, but I know he gets K's, and doesn't walk a lot of guys. He gives up some Home Runs, but I think he is coming from the PCL so I would imagine that might drop to a more normal range. Potentially we got a good reliever.

Best Case future closer/ late bloomer. Worst case his HR/9 are a symptom of a greater problem and he gets shelled in the show.

Would be funny if the Marlins took Schales in the Rule 5 draft.

Anderson is effectively an early Rule 5 pickup (since the twins would've left him unprotected), except getting him now and adding him to the 40 man means he can be optioned right away and not be subject to all the Rule 5 conditions.

I find it hard to believe no one was interested in trading for him this year, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say no trade opportunities came up. However, if they had a chance to trade him for a pack of peanuts last year and they didn't knowing they'd DFA him, that's freaking ridiculous. He's an actual MLB starter. Not elite, but a starter

Why would someone trade for a Dietrich and give up a real asset for him when there are going to be 15 of them on the market by the end of hte month with the non tender deadline coming up?