This team is going to be laughingly bad next year

Erick

To be honest, how they handle this adversity will probably be a better indicator of how much better they are than Loria... do they blow this team up for peanuts and to save money or do they stick to the plan and make sure they draft, sign, and trade better?

As much as bad trades and signings was the problem with Loria, not knowing how to recover from those bad moves was maybe the bigger problem with Loria.

To be fair, under Loria, there was a team to blow up.

The current team is at rock bottom lol. They could face whatever adversity they want; there’s nothing left to blow up.

They are worse than expected, those are historic paces that can't be just overlooked. I think they'll win 50 games or so somehow cause it is tough to lose more than that, even for a bad team. You just luck into some wins. They'll likely avoid that runs scored record as well, though it is tough to see how without some of that same luck and frequently. This offense is worse than even I thought it'd be and I didn't expect much.

I wouldn't call this a bad stretch as much as I'd call it close to what they are. They will mix in some games where they look "good" for sure and maybe even soon, but overall this is just a bad roster this season. And worse yet, many of the important players aren't showing progress yet.

I am not casting doubt on them being better in future seasons, but this one will be a dumpster fire of possible epic proportions.

They are worse than expected, those are historic paces that can't be just overlooked. I think they'll win 50 games or so somehow cause it is tough to lose more than that, even for a bad team. You just luck into some wins. They'll likely avoid that runs scored record as well, though it is tough to see how without some of that same luck and frequently. This offense is worse than even I thought it'd be and I didn't expect much.

I wouldn't call this a bad stretch as much as I'd call it close to what they are. They will mix in some games where they look "good" for sure and maybe even soon, but overall this is just a bad roster this season. And worse yet, many of the important players aren't showing progress yet.

I am not casting doubt on them being better in future seasons, but this one will be a dumpster fire of possible epic proportions.

I feel the same way.

Honestly, if I’m home & both the Marlins & Rays are playing, I’m watching the Rays this year. The Marlins just aren’t a product worth watching. There’s nothing exciting about the team.

I wonder what kind of crossover there will be with Inter Miami fans and Marlins fans. If the Marlins don’t show significant improvement at the major league level next year could Inter cause another attendance dip?   For the record I don’t think losing at the major league level in year two of a massive rebuild is all that alarming. 

For the record I don’t think losing at the major league level in year two of a massive rebuild is all that alarming. 

It isn't, they are supposed to be a losing team. But they are so far even worse than anticipated. During a rebuild, you want to see progression and not regression. Even if it is a slow pace. When Brinson continues to be terrible and Alcantara continues to be not only inconsistent but frankly bad outside of his season debut and Lopez takes a step back so far... these kind of things are not good signs. Maybe they all flip it around and this becomes a small forgettable time. But I think it is only realistic to acknowledge that things are not going well currently even with low expectations.

It isn't, they are supposed to be a losing team. But they are so far even worse than anticipated. 

Of the guys on the 25 man roster right now , the following are the ones I think we need to see do well: Alfaro, Brinson, Anderson, Alcantara, Richards, Lopez, Smith. Of those seven we’ve seen good things at times from all but Brinson and Anderson.  Anderson will come around I feel.  When you dial into certain guys and forget about the abysmal run production, bullpen, and wins totals there are tiny nuggets of intrigue

hows that for a compliment?  

That aside.  Yea we watch games to win so this season sucks from that standpoint 

It saddens me how truly awful this team is. Looking at the roster, I'm not at all surprised.

And then I look at how well Dembo's star draft picks from last year, Scott, Pompey and Banfield are doing, all hitting well below the Mendoza line so far (Scott's performance since drafted has been truly dreadful) . There really is nothing more than can be said other than the non-pitching prospects in the system look like a vast wasteland. Harrison and Diaz do not inspire, both sucking so far in AAA after being at most mediocre in AA.  VVM OPS'ing 558. Oh of course, I know its early. But when Austin Dean is the best your system seems capable of producing at the present, it only confirms that the Marlins as an organization are what their critics say they are. The Jeter, Dembo crew so far inspire zero confidence in me that this thing will get turned around. Or perhaps they're working on a 10 year horizon.

I am excited for guys like Monte Harrison, Sixto Sanchez,  Isan Diaz, Jordan Yamamoto to name a few. I think it is foolish to think they won't be productive at the MLB level. Nobody knows how they'll do up here until they get here.

To throw out things like "10 year plan" makes a person's argument lose all credibility from the start. I always consider people who say 10,15,20 years away to be idiots or trolls.

One of the scarier things is that, with all of the extensions being handed out recently, free agency isn't going to be a legitimate way of building a team. Teams are going to need to draft well, build from within, and extend their players. The Marlins have NO ONE I would give a lengthy extension to right now, and that's troubling. All that being said, there have been some mechanically separated ground nuggets of optimism in a season where we expected all-white meat tenders, and I don't think Mattingly is the right guy to lead a team like this. The Marlins need a much more analytic, thought-based manager at the helm. 

Also, #FuckJeter of course.

I am excited for guys like Monte Harrison, Sixto Sanchez,  Isan Diaz, Jordan Yamamoto to name a few. I think it is foolish to think they won't be productive at the MLB level. Nobody knows how they'll do up here until they get here.

Don't be stupid Jackson, if they are wearing a Marlins uniform, they are going to be bad because #FuckJeter

@SixYearItch you don’t sound happy with your experience 

Not at all TH.  I'm in Jacksonville, but my experience watching the Marlins so far has caused me to spend more time on the Discovery Channel. I can live with that.

Like everyone else, as much as I hated the teardown and still resent what Jeter and his crew did, I just wanted to see some improvement in the team or at least in some of the key individual players and for them to compete a little bit better than last year notwithstanding the loss of Realmuto.  Hasn't come close to happening. I expected the losing but this team, the way it is so far playing frankly deserves contraction.  Just go away. Honestly I'd be able to stomach it better if just one of Dembo's chosen prospects was performing in the system to expectations since traded for/selected. So far, at this reading at least, Dembo seems to be striking out more than Brinson.

Like everyone else, as much as I hated the teardown

Not everyone was against the rebuild. It was the right move in my opinion. We already saw what the last core could do. The mythical two pitchers didn’t exist.  I feel like we (meaning those for and those against) have done this debate 4000 times so I’ll just stop there. We both know what the other will say already.

To throw out things like "10 year plan" makes a person's argument lose all credibility from the start. I always consider people who say 10,15,20 years away to be idiots or trolls.

Hey buddy, you don't have to insult. I happen to be a fan of this team from the beginning who is pissed where this team is at. Saw it coming and have a right to be. And if I throw a little hyperbole out there so what. If I saw better days ahead with the way our prospects were performing I'd say it, but I don't see anything to latch onto here other than a few of the pitching prospects who may be decent but I don't think are anything exceptional. Maybe Sixto if he can shake his arm issues. I hope we smack it out of the park in the next few drafts cause we will definitely need to. And a few decent free agent pickups would help too. Have a nice day.

I

Not everyone was against the rebuild. It was the right move in my opinion. We already saw what the last core could do. The mythical two pitchers didn’t exist.  I feel like we (meaning those for and those against) have done this debate 4000 times so I’ll just stop there. We both know what the other will say already.

I didn't imply that everyone was against the "rebuild". I was just stating I was, which to me was a teardown. Read my post again, and take note of the two comma's within the sentence.

A lot of people talk about comparing it to the Astros; real bad before they get good.

I lived through the 2011-2013 Astros and this is way worse. The Astros had guys where you said they might work out some day. Some worked out (Altuve, Keuchel, JD Martinez [For someone else]) and some didn't (Jason Castro, Jon Singleton, Matt Dominguez) but they had stuff to build on.

It feels like the Marlins have nothing. None of these guys are shining right now. Things can change but it's looking as bad as I've ever seen. But this feels like the late 2000s Orioles more than the early 2010 Astros (except they had Matt Weiters).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.