A's New Ballpark

Das Texan

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/oakland-ballpark/howard-terminal

Looks like its off the chain.  Sexy ass park.  Great idea for the Colosseum.  Captive audience once the Raiders leave (well really now).  

I like it. 

Portland is working on the final stages of their ballpark too.

If that Tampa park actually happens....

Prepare for the new teams in Montreal and Portland.    

From what I read I think its 30k capacity.  

But they wont build a ballpark  with open seating in the outfield.  As lovely as that sounds I cant imagine that actually happening like that.  

What do you mean open seating?  Like the grassy areas?  Is that really any different than SRO areas?

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/oakland-ballpark/howard-terminal

Looks like its off the chain.  Sexy ass park.  Great idea for the Colosseum.  Captive audience once the Raiders leave (well really now).  

I like it. 

Portland is working on the final stages of their ballpark too.

If that Tampa park actually happens....

Prepare for the new teams in Montreal and Portland.    

They should have hired a better architectural firm for the Miami Stadium.... BIG (The Oakland stadium firm) is soooo good. I love the idea of making a stadium more like a campus and leaking out into the surrounding city... mixed use is the way to go. This stadium will probably pay for itself realllyyyy fast as opposed to Miami's stadium which is a financial black-hole in itself.

Yes - you can sit on the grass.

I get your point, but I don't see that as being that different than SRO tickets.

They should have hired a better architectural firm for the Miami Stadium.... BIG (The Oakland stadium firm) is soooo good. I love the idea of making a stadium more like a campus and leaking out into the surrounding city... mixed use is the way to go. This stadium will probably pay for itself realllyyyy fast as opposed to Miami's stadium which is a financial black-hole in itself.

They're able to do that because there's room around their proposed park to do that.  Marlins Park (and the Orange Bowl before that) is awkwardly plopped in the middle of a neighborhood, with no room around the park to build an entire "village"/complex around it, at least without the team acquiring land around the park to develop something.  Now, for a ballpark complex, ideally (in the current scenario, and without the team acquiring land around the park), investors would acquire those properties and start building new residences, restaurants, shops etc. around the park to create that village/complex feel, but the Marlins/Marlins Park hasn't exactly been a draw over the 6 years it's been operational, so there's been no incentive for investors to do anything around the park.  I mean, they still have vacant storefronts in the garages.

That said, I have noticed over the last few years that there have been a few new apartment complexes going up within a few blocks of the park.  It's a start, I guess.