Curtis Granderson signs

Admin

The Players Union would strike immediately if any of those three guys weren't on the Opening Day roster (assuming they're healthy)

That's not the point... what's a guaranteed big league contract? To me a guaranteed big league contract is what's given to a free agent. No talent that comes up from the minor leagues and is going through arbitration has a guaranteed big league contract yet. That's not how it works. Everyone one starts as a minor leaguer and then gets promoted to the majors and then goes through the arbitration years before actually getting a guaranteed big league contract. So in that case the only guaranteed big league contracts on the Marlins are Chen Prado Castro and Walker. The arbitration guys are major leaguers but their contracts are not guaranteed.

Buuuuut, if we do decide to include the arbitration guys as guaranteed big leaguers for the sake of this conversation then that means the whole list of guys on major league contracts is Chen Prado Castro Walker Realmuto Straily Conley Urena and Rojas... none of those guys are "minor league talent on big league contracts."

It would be better if it was full of rookies, like in 06.  Then we would be able to watch the future.  And, the lineup is only "decent" b/c we know the players.  If we trade Realmuto and have Wallach or even Tucker Barnhart at catcher, this will be a terrible lineup.  Lots of guys hitting .240 -.270 with 8 home runs and 32 rbi's.

I don't disagree with this at all. Not saying it's good, just saying it's not "a AAA team."

That's not the point... what's a guaranteed big league contract? To me a guaranteed big league contract is what's given to a free agent. No talent that comes up from the minor leagues and is going through arbitration has a guaranteed big league contract yet. That's not how it works. Everyone one starts as a minor leaguer and then gets promoted to the majors and then goes through the arbitration years before actually getting a guaranteed big league contract. So in that case the only guaranteed big league contracts on the Marlins are Chen Prado Castro and Walker. The arbitration guys are major leaguers but their contracts are not guaranteed.

Buuuuut, if we do decide to include the arbitration guys as guaranteed big leaguers for the sake of this conversation then that means the whole list of guys on major league contracts is Chen Prado Castro Walker Realmuto Straily Conley Urena and Rojas... none of those guys are "minor league talent on big league contracts."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyxkDCXesB5Ee80n8b5sjU2pqknGu2G4qXHxuFko0DZRo1z9TaDw&key=2a01cbae2a3a675d73718acaa1955a082f72731e61b1c875f8e41949eb4117e4

I'm going to shockingly, but respectfully, disagree with you there.  That lineup reeks of struggling to score even 3 runs a game. 

I'm not gonna keep defending it because it's gonna look like I'm saying its a good lineup and I know it's not. 

I'm just shooting down the silly and ignorant, almost pre-planned joke that the Marlins don't have major league players in their lineup. 

I'm not gonna keep defending it because it's gonna look like I'm saying its a good lineup and I know it's not. 

I'm just shooting down the silly and ignorant, almost pre-planned joke that the Marlins don't have major league players in their lineup. 

The Marlins have players that have played in the Major Leagues in their lineup, sure. But most of these guys would be Triple-A roster fillers on good teams or bench/part-time players at best. I think the only guy (assuming Realmuto is gone) that will be in our Opening Day lineup who would start on *MOST* teams in 2019 is Brian Anderson.

it's like you're creating a straw man argument in order to defend current leadership.  "People said (or probably will say) with Jeter's leadership we won't have any real major league players in the lineup.  Well that is not true!  We have several bona fide major league players in the lineup.  People are so unfair to Jeter with this criticism.  Loria is to blame!"

Sooooo... Brinson Granderson Anderson Prado Castro Walker/O'Brien Rojas/Riddle and whoever the catcher is... that's not "that" bad. We still suck yeah but the whole "the Marlins are a AAA team" is more than an exaggeration with this lineup.

I love you Silver but that's a terrible lineup.  Prado and Granderson are washed up. O'brien is a big if that hasn't had sustained success in MLB.  Also, who knows if Brinson figures it out or not.  Anderson, Castro and to a lesser extent Rojas are the only players that aren't passed their prime or waiting to break out.  That's as close to a Milb lineup as you will find in the MLB in my opinion.

Lineup will be "OK" but pitching will be an absolute joke.

I disagree.  There a some nice young SP options for us this season that should be fun to watch.  Alcantra, Lopez, and Richards are young with some upside.  Caleb Smith has some nice potential as well.  Then we have the more established SP like Urena and Straily.  Also, Conley and Streck are decent late inning options.  

Who even has a guaranteed major league spot on this team? Chen, Prado, Castro, and Walker right? Would arbitration guys like Realmuto, Straily, or Urena even count as guaranteed considering they can be non-tendered and in some cases optioned down at any point?

I'm not sure you can non tender and consequently not pay the arbitration guys.  That deadline was in like November.  Their money is guaranteed, just unknown to what amount.

I'm not sure you can non tender and consequently not pay the arbitration guys.  That deadline was in like November.  Their money is guaranteed, just unknown to what amount.

I guess they can cut them and pay them 45 days salary if they dont make the team out of Spring Training.  Insanely dumb.  I guess only done if he has a season ending injury?  Would really fuck you over long term though and look VERY BAD and cutting a guy due to being injured would probably lead you to a grievance you wont win, but still.  

I guess technically it can happen until Day 1.  

Its such a dumb idea that I didnt even think it was a rule.  

Yet another thing I guess players can strike about if that happened when it happens in 2021.  (its going to happen, just a matter of for how long)

Sooooo... Brinson Granderson Anderson Prado Castro Walker/O'Brien Rojas/Riddle and whoever the catcher is... that's not "that" bad. We still suck yeah but the whole "the Marlins are a AAA team" is more than an exaggeration with this lineup.

oh and seeing granderson bat 4th would be such great comedy.  That lineup has no real power in it, so cool!

I mean if you dont have Realmuto, you have 2 #8 hitters, so there is that, well and then a pitcher for a 9 spot.  So great lineup coming!  

I guess when Prado gets hurt you can add another #8 hitter.

Because I know you will ask:

Brinson

Rojas/Riddle

Pitcher

Boy that back 1/3 would be amazing.  

Add in O'Brien when he plays

Thank Goodness I'm not a Marlin fan.

I know nobody on this board thinks it's a good lineup, including yourself. And i'll give you that the lineup has MLB players in it - but it's like the bad news bears version of MLB players.  There's several guys on there that will either be injured within the first few weeks or have zero business being in the bigs.

oh and seeing granderson bat 4th would be such great comedy.  That lineup has no real power in it, so cool!

I mean if you dont have Realmuto, you have 2 #8 hitters, so there is that, well and then a pitcher for a 9 spot.  So great lineup coming!  

I guess when Prado gets hurt you can add another #8 hitter.

Because I know you will ask:

Brinson

Rojas/Riddle

Pitcher

Boy that back 1/3 would be amazing.  

Add in O'Brien when he plays

Thank Goodness I'm not a Marlin fan.

You realize marlins fans aren’t counting on this year being a good year, right? This year will be much less frustrating than watching the Yelly, Stanton, Ozuna teams struggle to find the postseason. 

As for the Cards, you know you guys aren’t making the playoffs, correct? That has to be infuriating to watch

You realize marlins fans aren’t counting on this year being a good year, right? This year will be much less frustrating than watching the Yelly, Stanton, Ozuna teams struggle to find the postseason. 

As for the Cards, you know you guys aren’t making the playoffs, correct? That has to be infuriating to watch

I wouldn't say that as a certainty.

We will be in at a minimum the wild card hunt this year.

Adding Goldy will be huge.  Ozuna in a contract year will hopefully be great. Our starting pitching should be pretty damn good.  Hopefully Fowler finds himself to a .260 hitter at a minimum. Little worried about the pen, though if the Andrew Miller of 2016/17 is around, I'm a lot more confident.

Will it add up to be a post season club?  It better or there will really be wholesale changes made.

Making a blanket statement like that is well interesting.

This Cardinal team could be a first place team, or a third place team.  I actually think the Brewers are a lot worse while the Reds might be a lot better than in 2018.