Sam Miller ESPN Article

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25557502/jt-realmuto-trade-continues-stunningly-sad-marlins-tradition

“Of the Marlins' all-time top 25 players, by WAR -- Realmuto ranks 16th -- 23 have now been traded away, rather than held onto until they reached free agency. The other two truly are the exceptions that prove the rule: A.J. Burnett and the Marlins hated each other by the end, but Burnett made it to free agency because the "much-discussed" deal to send him to Baltimore "hit a snag" when the Marlins kept trying to throw more of their players into the swap. The other, Jose Fernandez, died in a boat crash before reaching free agency. The Marlins had tried to trade him too, according to former team president David Samson; it was the other team, Samson claimed recently, that stopped the deal.

This is not normal. The Rockies, who debuted as a franchise the same year the Marlins did, have held onto nine of their all-time top 25 through free agency or retirement, and an additional four of those 25 are still on their roster. The expansion Diamondbacks have traded only 14 of their all-time 25, and even the notoriously proactive Rays have kept seven of their all-time top 25 through free agency. The Marlins are genuinely weird. They trade everybody.

Every trade tells a story. But these 23 trades together tell three bigger stories. That's the first one: The Marlins are weird, all the time. In their own way they're the most stable franchise in baseball, because their weirdness is a permanent state. Each of these trades, on its own, could be justified for baseball or financial reasons, but none of these trades any longer stands on its own. They're all part of the ongoing story of the Marlins: Whoever owns them, whoever runs them, becomes, by definition, Florida Man.”

Do you agree or disagree? I will die a Marlins fan. But good God ?

Why do you think it’s a bad article? 

it's just a stupid premise that there is some abstract force that is behind this. There's no point to the article.

For instance:

Beckett and Lowell were traded for Hanley

Castillo spent 10+ years with the fish and made majority of his $ as marlin

Uggla was rule 5 and absolutely horrible after the trade

Since being traded, Nolasco has been worth 5 WAR (after 18 with the fish)

Yeah, it's stupid.  It's an article just to pile on the fish for the sake of piling on, and I'm sad I clicked on the link.  Yes, all these trades have happened, for different stated reasons, but they do completely ignore the realities of the latest rebuild and the larger reasons for it.

---

If the Marlins didn't have a history of trading players/firesales, articles would've been written in the same light as the Cubs and Astros rebuilds.  It's only because it's the Marlins, it's easy to pile on.

Yeah, it's stupid.  It's an article just to pile on the fish for the sake of piling on, and I'm sad I clicked on the link.  Yes, all these trades have happened, for different stated reasons, but they do completely ignore the realities of the latest rebuild and the larger reasons for it.

the evidence to back up his case (the 25 top WAR players traded) is pure arbitrary and also extremely shoddy. I can keep going down the list (yeluch and cabrera trades obvs terrible)

It's dwelling on the past and stirring what's in the pot to get clicks. It's lazy writing. It's also slapping the Marlins on the wrist for trading Realmuto as if they're not allowed to trade anyone ever again because of their past trading history.

It's like saying someone can't have dinner tonight because they ate dinner yesterday.

It's dwelling on the past and stirring what's in the pot to get clicks. It's lazy writing. It's also slapping the Marlins on the wrist for trading Realmuto as if they're not allowed to trade anyone ever again because of their past trading history.

It's like saying someone can't have dinner tonight because they ate dinner yesterday.

So you don’t think the article has any validity to it? 

"Stunningly sad Marlins tradition."

How can a TRADITION be "stunning" in any way, shape, or form? Maybe at first for people just being introduced to it, but for those who have seen it time and time again, how can it be a surprise in any form?

Silly title.

And y'all have dissected the article enough already so I'll leave that be.

So you don’t think the article has any validity to it? 

The factual stuff yes, like obviously we have traded a shit load of players. The excuses and reasons? Who cares? It's not like Jeter traded all the guys before he got here. I'd rather read an article about what the Marlins are doing now and next instead of another lazy piece telling us what we already know.

This article is the journalistic equivalent of beating a dead horse. 

The factual stuff yes, like obviously we have traded a shit load of players. The excuses and reasons? Who cares? It's not like Jeter traded all the guys before he got here. I'd rather read an article about what the Marlins are doing now and next instead of another lazy piece telling us what we already know.

This article is the journalistic equivalent of beating a dead horse. 

I got you. 

This just in, the Marlins have a history of trading Talent. In related news, sky, blue.

Yeah and we can't know if that will continue longterm with this regime or not. What previous regimes did, doesn't mean anything. The current rebuild was necessary, but we need to see if they continue to build things, add players and retain stars going forward. That is going to tell us if they are different or more of the same. So far, they've done a good job in the draft and international market so there are promising signs.

Yeah, it's definitely old news but it's still semi-relevant and makes a point that the new group didn't try anything different other than dump the bulk of the players to save money - and it was a dump, when Gordon, Yelich, Stanton, Ozuna are traded away and you don't get a single top 100 pick back from all of that? yeah, that's about as big of a dump as possible just to save money.  They had a few other options such as keeping a couple of those guys on the team (since none of them were part of the same trade package) and invested in the International draft, they also could have agreed to at least take on some of the contracts in order to net better prospects and hasten the whole rebuild.  A year+ later and they finally have a single top 100 prospect after adding Realmuto to that list of dudes that were sent packing.  So yeah, the article ain't nothing new, but neither have are the results really, so I feel it's pretty fair at this point. But anyhoo, JT was the last name left on the team.  Hopefully they manage to strike gold along the way and absolutely nail a couple drafts and luck out with their picks really shining.  At least Sixto is a cool name.

I checked Fangraphs Top 100 Feb 2018 and Brinson Harrison Guzman and Diaz were all on the list at the time. Yes they've fallen off but when the trades happened they did get Top 100 guys. 

That's what I thought. Harrison, Guzman, and Diaz could work their way back on. It's not like we have guys that aren't even in like the top 250 or so.