Marlins president implores fans to 'give us a chance'

Ema2R

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1714352

The latest phase of the Miami Marlins' rebuild is complete after the team tradedAll-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto to the Philadelphia Phillies. Now, all eyes in south Florida are on the future.

Despite the ongoing teardown that began during the 2017-18 offseason when the Marlins dealt Giancarlo Stanton, Christian Yelich, Marcell Ozuna, and Dee Gordon, the club's president of baseball operations, Michael Hill, doesn't think the 2019 season is a total write-off.

“I would tell our fans to just give us a chance," Hill said, according to Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press. "So many people have written off the Marlins and really haven’t taken an opportunity to take a deep look at what we’re building. When you have a lot to do, it’s going to take time and we understand where we’re at. But we’ve been able to add a tremendous amount of talent over the last 18 months."

Hill also said the team has added 38 prospects and high-upside players since the Derek Jeter-led regime change, and prior to that, the prospect cupboard was mostly empty.

The haul Miami received from Philadelphia in exchange for Realmuto included some of that new talent. Jorge Alfaro is expected to slot in as the team's starting catcher this season, and right-hander Sixto Sanchez immediately became the most highly touted prospect in the Marlins' farm system.

In October, the Marlins signed Cuban outfielders Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr. to minor-league deals, both of whom could make an impact at the major-league level.

Still, the Marlins are coming off a 63-98 season and aren't projected to be much better in 2019. It's been a while since they last sniffed the postseason, too, and the team hasn't posted a winning record since 2009. Miami also hasn't appeared in a playoff game since winning the 2003 World Series.

I am really surprised he kept his job when DJ cleaned house. Unless he's just waiting for his contract to expire.

We thought that at the beginning but it would be really weird to do that after so long. If Jeter truly believes we have done a great job in rebuilding this organization over the last year then he has to give a lot of credit to Hill so how do you let Hill go this long as just a transitional piece? You actually then run the risk of the next guy undoing everything Hill did right.

Sure, Mike. The over/under looks like it’s right around 64. I’ll be taking the under again - if anything the Marlins should be worse this year unless a)Brinson suddenly figures out how to hit or b)VVM turns into Mike Trout. A couple of reasons for this. They had 3 guys on the whole team last year who hit over 12 HR in a league where everybody has power, and all 3 of them are gone now (JT, Bour and Dietrich). The Mets probably aren’t going to stink this year. The rotation looks basically like last year’s except they’re going to have to give Alcantara 30+ starts to see if he has a role to play in the future. The bullpen has not been improved, either. They lost 98 last year, and that was 5 games better than their Pythagorean W/L, so they were lucky not to lose 100 last year. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

I am hoping this builds, but then I hear strange explanations.  Like on Saturday, explaining the Realmuto trade, like we don't know why and understand it.  So, we get the explanation that "we traded 2 years of control for 17 years".  Sure, I get the math but it does not make sense.  Can we then say that if we went out and spent 250 million for 25 free agents on a one year deal that we are buying 25 years of control.

My point is that a silly explanation is ridiculous, just be open about it.  We all know what's up with JT at this point so the team needs to just say we made the best deal we thought was available.  Done.   

I don't think he meant give us a chance in terms of being competitive in 2019. I think he meant give us a chance as in the future of the club and the current rebuild.

Actually, he was talking at least partly about 2019. “[Hill] doesn’t think the 2019 season is a total write off.” 

Actually, he was talking at least partly about 2019. “[Hill] doesn’t think the 2019 season is a total write off.” 

That was the writer.

Hill's quote was:

“I would tell our fans to just give us a chance," Hill said, according to Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press. "So many people have written off the Marlins and really haven’t taken an opportunity to take a deep look at what we’re building. When you have a lot to do, it’s going to take time and we understand where we’re at. But we’ve been able to add a tremendous amount of talent over the last 18 months."

I think it is pretty clear he didn't mean give us a chance to win in 2019.

If he thought they have a chance to win this year (he obviously doesn't) he'd be delusional. That being said, he isn't going to come out and say "We will suck this year" because that's bad business and rude to the players. He said this the right way.

I don't defend Hill often, but this one is obviously being read into incorrectly by you.

That was the writer.

Hill's quote was:

I think it is pretty clear he didn't mean give us a chance to win in 2019.

It's on the writer then. In any case. My question to Hill would be simple - considering that the other 4 teams in the division already have much better ML rosters AND better minor league systems, how long is it going to take? 2 years? 4 years? 7 years? Because, seriously, if there's a season within the next 3-4 that we lose fewer than 95 I'll be pretty surprised.

Because, seriously, if there's a season within the next 3-4 that we lose fewer than 95 I'll be pretty surprised.

No disrespect, but ... really? Three to four YEARS, 95+ losses, starting this year? I know I'm very optimistic here with this, but I think this team, this year, can be as "good" as winning 75 games [so 87 losses]. I could be completely wrong, sure, and we lose 100 this year, but I don't think the team will be that bad, and 100% certain this team will not be losing 95+ four straight years. In fact I say 2020, 100%, closer to 80 losses than 90. I think that team could actually have a winning record, but of course a few chips have to fall into place.

No disrespect, but ... really? Three to four YEARS, 95+ losses, starting this year? I know I'm very optimistic here with this, but I think this team, this year, can be as "good" as winning 75 games [so 87 losses]. I could be completely wrong, sure, and we lose 100 this year, but I don't think the team will be that bad, and 100% certain this team will not be losing 95+ four straight years. In fact I say 2020, 100%, closer to 80 losses than 90. I think that team could actually have a winning record, but of course a few chips have to fall into place.

No disrespect from me, either, but I’d love to know what makes you think they’re going to be even a little better, let alone a lot better. Remember that “the process” usually requires 3-4 years of sucking (the Astros had four years as bad or worse than what the Marlins just had)

No disrespect from me, either, but I’d love to know what makes you think they’re going to be even a little better, let alone a lot better. Remember that “the process” usually requires 3-4 years of sucking (the Astros had four years as bad or worse than what the Marlins just had)

Yes, Houston had three straight 100+ loss years before jumping to a 70-92 record and then 86-76 the year after that. It was the middle of the three 100+ loss years when they got a new owner and started to turn everything around. And from their 51-111 season in 2013, they jumped to 70-92 in 2014 and then playoffs in 2015. Truthfully I'd say their process began when ownership changed.

Not going to say it'll be exactly the same situation here, of course. And as I said, "very optimistic here" but I don't think a 75 win season is impossible. If the idea this year really is to go at it and not just give people playing time, then I think at least an eight (and a half) game improvement [so 90 losses]. Adjustments made, a year of growth, all that jazz. Then 2020 is closer to a winning season, if not at or just over .500.

We'll see of course - I'm not saying 2019 is going to be a "great" season or even a "good" one. Just a step in the right direction.

I think the pitching staff does have a chance to be somewhat respectable, giving that term the broadest possible definition, provided the bullpen gets shored up with a one or more decent veteran arms. So that has the potential of being the "step in the right direction". But lets not kid ourselves, the positional lineup taking the field will be atrocious, I dare say amongst the worst the game will have ever seen. Runs will be more scarce then they've ever been in the history of this franchise, and that's saying something. If one could discern improvement, it certainly won't be from considering this year's won/loss record.

The Marlins won’t sniff 77 wins this year.  They were projected to win 65-66 games before their best player was traded. 

With that said, to say you’ll be very surprised if the Marlins lose less than 95 games 3 or 4 years from now is just dumb.  This team in 2021 will either make the playoffs or be on the cusp of the playoffs.  They’re going to get yet another high draft pick this year and make another substantial IFA signing.  

• Like 1

The Marlins won’t sniff 77 wins this year.  They were projected to win 65-66 games before their best player was traded. 

With that said, to say you’ll be very surprised if the Marlins lose less than 95 games 3 or 4 years from now is just dumb.  This team in 2021 will either make the playoffs or be on the cusp of the playoffs.  They’re going to get yet another high draft pick this year and make another substantial IFA signing.  

Right now our best prospect is a 20-year old kid who had some elbow issues this past year. Our best OF prospect struck out over 200 times in AA. Our best IF prospect hit .245 in AA at 22 - not exactly the stuff of HOF careers. The other 4 clubs in the division have better minor league systems than we do right now, so it's more likely that they will be able to improve from within in the next 2-3 years. There are only 3 ways that the Marlins can get anywhere near contention in the next 3 years: 1) kids like Alcantara, Diaz, Brinson and Harrison figure it out and VVM turns into Mike Trout (BTW Brinson almost doesn't qualify as a kid anymore - he turns 25 in May); 2) there are a couple of Bryce Harpers running around HS campuses right now for the Marlins to draft in the next 3 years as we stink; or 3) Jeter decides to spend money to bring power into the lineup and a couple of top-line starters into the rotation.

Lets look at the Braves, since they'd be a team we'd be competing against in '21. Do we have anybody in our system who will be better than Albies or Acuna? How about Swanson? And then there's Freddie Freeman, who will still be only 31 in '21. Kyle Wright and Mike Soroka seem to be a year or two ahead of all our minor league guys except Alcantara, and Sandy hasn't shown consistency yet.

The situation is really bad, and if you think it's going to be better sooner rather than later, you really haven't been paying attention to what Jeter has been saying.

I honestly think this will begin to happen next year.

They did not hide that intent in the leaked documents being sent to investors when he bought the team. It clearly had payrolls exceeding 100 million soon. Seeing as most of the players will be on low salary auto renewals or early arbitration, that pointed to a significant FA investment.

Our best OF prospect struck out over 200 times in AA. Our best IF prospect hit .245 in AA at 22 - not exactly the stuff of HOF careers.

Harrison did strike out 215 times, yes. Almost a 37% K rate in AA. In the AFL, however [yes, small sample], he dropped that down to just 23.5%. Still not great but muuuch better and closer to (and actually lower) than his norms to this point. It was his first taste of AA, generally where the best talent seems to be in the Minors, so another season there should bode well. On top of that, he still hit 19 homers and stole 28 bases. His MiLB stolen base numbers are quite good thus far, 115 out of 139. And his defense seems to be quite good. Gotta think with VVM and Brinson, Harrison will move over to right]

As for Diaz - yes, he hit .245 in AA, however his OBP was .365 - pretty good. Exception of Rookie Ball, he's not been a high average guy, but his OBP has been solid, and he's got some power. He too hit well in the AFL. Not sure on his defense but seems to have decent range going on BBRef's "range factor" numbers.

The situation is really bad, and if you think it's going to be better sooner rather than later, you really haven't been paying attention to what Jeter has been saying.

@SonOfJack mentioned in the post above. Perhaps you've been missing a couple things here and there, again no disrespect. Nobody is saying this team is going to be good this year, just better. And many of us are buying in and believe it's going to be good sooner rather than later. We could be wrong, absolutely! But, we like what we're seeing.

As for your mention on Sixto - you are right, but if he's healthy going forward, then we got a great piece for the future. An ace, for sure.

And I'm gonna say no, we don't have anyone like Acuna or Albies or Freeman.

Maybe Swanson. I'd go as far to say Miguel Rojas is better than Dansby Swanson right now.

Let me finish by saying I understand the cynicism, you're completely justified in having it - we all would be here. It's been a decade since we've had a winning team, and only because the second wild card came around have we had any seasons where we've had anything resembling "hope" later into the year. So I get how you feel.

Right now our best prospect is a 20-year old kid who had some elbow issues this past year. Our best OF prospect struck out over 200 times in AA. Our best IF prospect hit .245 in AA at 22 - not exactly the stuff of HOF careers. The other 4 clubs in the division have better minor league systems than we do right now, so it's more likely that they will be able to improve from within in the next 2-3 years. There are only 3 ways that the Marlins can get anywhere near contention in the next 3 years: 1) kids like Alcantara, Diaz, Brinson and Harrison figure it out and VVM turns into Mike Trout (BTW Brinson almost doesn't qualify as a kid anymore - he turns 25 in May); 2) there are a couple of Bryce Harpers running around HS campuses right now for the Marlins to draft in the next 3 years as we stink; or 3) Jeter decides to spend money to bring power into the lineup and a couple of top-line starters into the rotation.

Lets look at the Braves, since they'd be a team we'd be competing against in '21. Do we have anybody in our system who will be better than Albies or Acuna? How about Swanson? And then there's Freddie Freeman, who will still be only 31 in '21. Kyle Wright and Mike Soroka seem to be a year or two ahead of all our minor league guys except Alcantara, and Sandy hasn't shown consistency yet.

A) all young pitchers have elbow concerns. It’s the nature of the game now.  His ceiling is Pedro Martínez.  That is a ridiculously high ceiling. He can have TJS this year or next and still be healthy for 2021.  

B) Our best Outfield prospect is Victor Victor Mesa. Try again. 

C)  It’s 2019, nobody gives a fok about Batting Average