Sign in to follow this  
Jokersgoon

Marlins Trade Rumors

Bald Eagle    51
5 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

I would like to move Realmuto. I think his overall output is replaceable. If we don't trade him, we need to move him to the outfield. His ability behind the plate has been hurting our team for too long. 

Wait what? He's better than the league average in CS% and he is not a liability behind the plate at all. His offense is certainly not easy to replace at the catchers spot either.

97marlin    38
3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Wait what? He's better than the league average in CS% and he is not a liability behind the plate at all. His offense is certainly not easy to replace at the catchers spot either.

He is a fine catcher at blocking and throwing. His ability to frame pitches is pathetic. His bat and glove are undermined because he loses strikes. He has had two years to improve and he isn't the worst in the league, but he is close.

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

cyoung    6
2 hours ago, 97marlin said:

He is a fine catcher at blocking and throwing. His ability to frame pitches is pathetic. His bat and glove are undermined because he loses strikes. He has had two years to improve and he isn't the worst in the league, but he is close.

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

So he's good at the things that take natural ability as a catcher, but poor at the things that are teachable.  I'm keeping Realmuto.

taiwanmarlin    753
6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If the parts of your car don't work, you change them. Even if you're trying to sell the car, you try and improve it. Would you buy a car from someone if all four tires were flat? 

I believe most buyers would like to change those parts by self…

97marlin    38
2 hours ago, cyoung said:

So he's good at the things that take natural ability as a catcher, but poor at the things that are teachable.  I'm keeping Realmuto.

if it's teachable show me someone who has improved at it? I don't think it is teachable. I think that all of those things(blocking, throwing, framing) are all innate skills. Framing has an arguably bigger impact on the game. And he is really really bad at it. Move him, he is hurting the team to play back there.

Bald Eagle    51

Sounds like somebody has a personal vendetta against Realmuto. Most other clubs would like having him. Marlins finally have a good catcher after many years without one and this guy wants him gone.

cyoung    6
29 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

if it's teachable show me someone who has improved at it? I don't think it is teachable. I think that all of those things(blocking, throwing, framing) are all innate skills. Framing has an arguably bigger impact on the game. And he is really really bad at it. Move him, he is hurting the team to play back there.

I don't disagree w/ the fact that framing is arguably the biggest factor of those three (mostly because its frequency), but I'm telling you that it is 100% teachable.  I'm not saying he does it well, but it's fixable.  The other two things require natural athleticism & ability.  Framing is strictly fundamental.

I did it for 20 years - when infielders were fielding ground balls, catchers were working on framing & receiving pitches.

He needs work, but certainly not a reason to get rid of, or even change positions.

DTrain    587

Realmuto is terrible at framing pitches and he's below average at using his body (and equipment) to block the ball. 

Beyond that, he is really good and I don't see the need to trade him.