Walker says young Marlins are ‘not far off’

SonOfJack

Who knows. He could be right, anything is possible. But the length of the rebuild is not that important to me. As long as they do it right. The process takes as long as it takes.

You’re right.  Anything is possible. 

Peter O’Brien might win the NL MVP.  

Who knows. 

You’re right.  Anything is possible. 

Peter O’Brien might win the NL MVP.  

Who knows. 

I am curious to know if there ever was a year where a nobody player just put everything together and had everything land exactly where it needed to be  for a full year to win the MVP and then never even came close the rest of his career. 

I am curious to know if there ever was a year where a nobody player just put everything together and had everything land exactly where it needed to be  for a full year to win the MVP and then never even came close the rest of his career. 

Voting is part of the equation too so I'd almost imagine voters would stay away from that kind of candidate unless the numbers were astronomically better than everyone else's where the guy just couldn't be denied.

Voting is part of the equation too so I'd almost imagine voters would stay away from that kind of candidate unless the numbers were astronomically better than everyone else's where the guy just couldn't be denied.

Yeah, I'm more wondering if ever someone just had the luckiest "Perfect Year" of their career.  I think it's unlikely, but would be interesting to see.  I also think it would have had a better chance of happening pre-2000 when more advanced statistics weren't widely available.

Yeah, I'm more wondering if ever someone just had the luckiest "Perfect Year" of their career.  I think it's unlikely, but would be interesting to see.  I also think it would have had a better chance of happening pre-2000 when more advanced statistics weren't widely available.

I can't say it was the "perfect year" but Marty Marion won the 1944 NL MVP for whatever reason. He slashed .267/.324/.362/.686 that year. 6 homers. 26 doubles. Only scored 50 runs, 144 games played. It was super weird.

I can't say it was the "perfect year" but Marty Marion won the 1944 NL MVP for whatever reason. He slashed .267/.324/.362/.686 that year. 6 homers. 26 doubles. Only scored 50 runs, 144 games played. It was super weird.

The year is probably a big indicator on the why to that one. Likely a lack of talent all around available that year.

after researching into it, seems he won because of his Defense...which I would imagine he made look better than it actually was pre advanced statistics. 

The year is probably a big indicator on the why to that one. Likely a lack of talent all around available that year.

after researching into it, seems he won because of his Defense...which I would imagine he made look better than it actually was pre advanced statistics. 

So it sounds like the equivalent of Hechavarria winning the MVP because of a better than normal offensive year along with defensive plays that look more impressive than they actually are. 

Definitely had multiple guys more valuable than he was that year.

On top of that, if the talent was that much lower all around the league, he should have hit a lot better than .267. lol

Definitely had multiple guys more valuable than he was that year.

On top of that, if the talent was that much lower all around the league, he should have hit a lot better than .267. lol

yeah, I made that comment about the talent being lower before looking at the voting and a bit of information in it. Talent was definitely watered down overall, I'm sure, but there were still plenty of much better hitters, some superstars and HOFers still in the league. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.