Trout finalizing 12-year extension with Angels

Admin

The Athletic just had two articles relevant to this discussion.

The first here goes into more detail on the minors/pay situation and interviews several players, their wives and families (anonymously).  These kids barely get paid anything - it talks about how guys have to fit 6-7-8 people in apartments big enough for 2 just to be able to have afford a place to live, and how the food isn't good, but they can't afford much either.  The Blue Jays just announced a 50% increase for minor league pay, which is a start.

https://theathletic.com/830452/2019/03/15/i-cant-afford-to-play-this-game-minor-leaguers-open-up-about-the-realities-of-their-pay-and-its-impact-on-their-lives/

Yes, I've read this one in full and it is a GREAT article. I'm happy with what the Jays are doing - just a step in the right direction, still IMO not enough yet BUT they'll definitely be able to live a little better at least.

From a service time perspective overall they are losing out with how its going to be on average.

30 days of service time for an extra 10 players (most clubs carry about 35 now) > 26th man all year and 2 plus guys in September.  

Yes, the math checks out here.