Trout finalizing 12-year extension with Angels

SonOfJack

Good for the Angels and their fans. Trout is too nice in the sense that he could have easily left for a team with a more sturdy future but he is probably comfortable and it's not like he isn't getting paid so good for him too, he deserves it. With that said, I can't see anymore contracts like this for a long time to come. Teams are done with this after Trout.

Good for the Angels and their fans. Trout is too nice in the sense that he could have easily left for a team with a more sturdy future but he is probably comfortable and it's not like he isn't getting paid so good for him too, he deserves it. With that said, I can't see anymore contracts like this for a long time to come. Teams are done with this after Trout.

You can never say never.  If another generational talent pops up, the pocket books will open.  Especially if said player is brought up early.

Mookie Betts will get a massive deal.

Gonna be fun to see the players spin this when they strike in 2 years.

Cant exactly say owners arent paying big bucks after these last couple of weeks....

Still a free agency problem.

Still the minor league pay problem.

Still the three batter minimum being forced on the league by Manfred.

Still a lot of other things I'm sure.

Still a free agency problem.

Still the minor league pay problem.

Still the three batter minimum being forced on the league by Manfred.

Still a lot of other things I'm sure.

Dan Duqette said it best a couple weeks ago.

MLBPA has been a star driven organization.  The stars are getting paid.  Until they actively want the middle class to get paid also, they will have this issue.   So MLBPA will have to figure out what is more important.  Stars getting MASSIVE deals or all players getting paid.

The minor league pay thing is something MLBPA has NEVER given a fuck about, mostly because they arent members of the union.  

The three batter minimum is dumb, but they are getting the extra roster spot all year so whatever.  Created 30 more jobs.

Though they are shooting themselves in the foot with the September callup rule (which will probably get adjusted anyway).

The minor league pay thing is something MLBPA has NEVER given a fuck about, mostly because they arent members of the union.  

Definitely seeing a few MLB players starting to get vocal about this, at least, so that could change. As it stands right now, in the internship I'm in, I'm making more than an average minor league ballplayer will make. I think that says something.

Though they are shooting themselves in the foot with the September callup rule (which will probably get adjusted anyway).

I don't know, I think 28 is fine - 40 is just too much and unnecessary. Especially since this coming season, the Arizona Fall League will now begin in mid-September instead of later in the year.

Definitely seeing a few MLB players starting to get vocal about this, at least, so that could change. As it stands right now, in the internship I'm in, I'm making more than an average minor league ballplayer will make. I think that says something.

I don't know, I think 28 is fine - 40 is just too much and unnecessary. Especially since this coming season, the Arizona Fall League will now begin in mid-September instead of later in the year.

The Athletic just had two articles relevant to this discussion.

The first here goes into more detail on the minors/pay situation and interviews several players, their wives and families (anonymously).  These kids barely get paid anything - it talks about how guys have to fit 6-7-8 people in apartments big enough for 2 just to be able to have afford a place to live, and how the food isn't good, but they can't afford much either.  The Blue Jays just announced a 50% increase for minor league pay, which is a start.

https://theathletic.com/830452/2019/03/15/i-cant-afford-to-play-this-game-minor-leaguers-open-up-about-the-realities-of-their-pay-and-its-impact-on-their-lives/

This article goes into the point about how the stars are getting these massive deals, but the guys below them, and below them, and below them aren't getting anywhere near what they used to.

https://theathletic.com/877011/2019/03/19/rosenthal-angels-owner-arte-moreno-couldnt-let-mike-trout-get-away-and-now-the-pressure-is-on/

Bottom line is, something has to change, and it will I'm sure.  Hopefully the Marlins don't get screwed with another strike just as they're about to be good.

From a service time perspective overall they are losing out with how its going to be on average.

30 days of service time for an extra 10 players (most clubs carry about 35 now) > 26th man all year and 2 plus guys in September.  

The Athletic just had two articles relevant to this discussion.

The first here goes into more detail on the minors/pay situation and interviews several players, their wives and families (anonymously).  These kids barely get paid anything - it talks about how guys have to fit 6-7-8 people in apartments big enough for 2 just to be able to have afford a place to live, and how the food isn't good, but they can't afford much either.  The Blue Jays just announced a 50% increase for minor league pay, which is a start.

https://theathletic.com/830452/2019/03/15/i-cant-afford-to-play-this-game-minor-leaguers-open-up-about-the-realities-of-their-pay-and-its-impact-on-their-lives/

This article goes into the point about how the stars are getting these massive deals, but the guys below them, and below them, and below them aren't getting anywhere near what they used to.

https://theathletic.com/877011/2019/03/19/rosenthal-angels-owner-arte-moreno-couldnt-let-mike-trout-get-away-and-now-the-pressure-is-on/

Bottom line is, something has to change, and it will I'm sure.  Hopefully the Marlins don't get screwed with another strike just as they're about to be good.

Until MLBPA stops coveting the massive star driven deals, it wont change.

They really cant have their cake and eat it too, which is what they probably want.  

If they want the lower tier players to also get paid, something has to give.  Its not like owners (for the most part) arent just throwing around money like candy to star players.