Sign in to follow this  
taiwanmarlin

6/18 post game

15 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Same picture, they're 7 games under 500 after at one point being 13 games under 500. The offense is strong and the pitching has improved despite some rough moments.

Translation: they're progressing forward and not backwards and the season isn't even halfway done yet. 

I don't know about you but I'm gonna keep watching. 

You've become such a troll lately. 

The starting pitching, in comparison to the rest of the league, is not good enough.

What was supposed to be the strength of the team -- the super pen -- has been super crappy, and, quite honestly, the metrics don't really indicate that they've been all that unlucky. It's just an average at best pen built by our great GM. 

All in all, I get that we're all fans, and I'd love to see/hear the team win because we all love the Marlins, but being delusional isn't healthy. This core group has been together for a long time, and they've consistently failed. They consistently failed when they had a legendary pitcher as their ace, and now he's dead. They're not better than before. 

This team needs to sell some pieces and hopefully make the right moves to become good again. And that won't happen as long as Jeffrey Loria owns the team and Mike Hill is calling the shots. The team needs new people running the show. It is what it is. I'll take another down year if the end result is a change from the catastrophe that is Jeffrey Loria. 

To be honest, it's not just that this team is 7 under .500 that bothers me and makes me disinterested. What bothers me most is that the bullpen they talked up all offseason has been a major reason for the team's struggles. This team has blown a bunch of leads -- big leads too. It's just hilarious how everything backfires on this incompetent front office. We need a new front office. 

10 hours ago, Erick said:

The starting pitching, in comparison to the rest of the league, is not good enough.

What was supposed to be the strength of the team -- the super pen -- has been super crappy, and, quite honestly, the metrics don't really indicate that they've been all that unlucky. It's just an average at best pen built by our great GM. 

All in all, I get that we're all fans, and I'd love to see/hear the team win because we all love the Marlins, but being delusional isn't healthy. This core group has been together for a long time, and they've consistently failed. They consistently failed when they had a legendary pitcher as their ace, and now he's dead. They're not better than before. 

This team needs to sell some pieces and hopefully make the right moves to become good again. And that won't happen as long as Jeffrey Loria owns the team and Mike Hill is calling the shots. The team needs new people running the show. It is what it is. I'll take another down year if the end result is a change from the catastrophe that is Jeffrey Loria. 

To be honest, it's not just that this team is 7 under .500 that bothers me and makes me disinterested. What bothers me most is that the bullpen they talked up all offseason has been a major reason for the team's struggles. This team has blown a bunch of leads -- big leads too. It's just hilarious how everything backfires on this incompetent front office. We need a new front office. 

There's a lot of truth to this. However the one part that I will continue to contest is that the core needs to be blown up. The core isn't the problem. It's the fact that this FO has repeatedly failed to surround them with competent pieces to pick up the slack. 85 mill to Chen, trading for Cashner and Rodney etc. 

Blow up the FO. 

Getting rid of bad contracts will be the bigger task if and when the Marlins decide to start selling off pieces.

Guys like Tazawa, Zeigler, and Koehler. Then you have others that have been inconsistent at times with Phelps.

Saturday is the game we definitely should of have won. We were up 7-3 but then Zeigler came in and started tossing up beach balls for everyone to hit. Things began to snowball. I will say that Yelich should of had that fly out. Barraclough deserved a better outing and has been pitching much better lately.

I feel like I'm just waiting for new ownership. We know what Loria and Hill will deliver. I'm just going to wait for the new group to come in. I can't get invested in a team with so many question marks in the future. 

I'm fine with the position players, the regulars that it is, I'd hate to lose any of then. I'm counting Riddle as the SS, backed up by Rojas. Trade Hech for whatever you can get for him. Stick Prado back at 3rd and Dietrich becomes the plug-in guy wherever, and its all good. I've come to terms with eventually having to deal Ozuna away since he won't sign here long term. But I don't trust the present F.O. to deal him because the return better be real good, and net us a package containing at least one potential front line starter. Wouldn't trust Mike Hill to do that.

The pitching is another matter. I don't think the only way to build a decent staff is to blow the team up and trade away the jewels of this team. If we had just added a Nova to this team, that would have been progress. I don't blame the F.O for the Ziegler/Tazawa fiasco but they've got to cut their losses quick, partially pay their salaries out and dump them on another team, and backfill with some of the young relief arms sitting in NO or Jax, or turn Big Salad into what he should have been, a reliever. If he becomes as effective as McGowen has been for us so far this year that's a positive. Turn Nico into the second reliever. If there's no new SP#5 to slot in, bring back Conley, definitely DFA Worley. I can take Conley fucking up, at least he's got starter potential and a limited history of succeeding.

Want to see if and how long it will take for the team to get back for 500. From there, will just have to see what, if anything, is possible then playoff wise. One thing for sure, any games in which we're leading the Nats (or Mets or Braves for that matter) into the late innings cannot turn into a relief fuckup, too many already have.         

2 hours ago, SixYearItch said:

I'm fine with the position players, the regulars that it is, I'd hate to lose any of then. I'm counting Riddle as the SS, backed up by Rojas. Trade Hech for whatever you can get for him. Stick Prado back at 3rd and Dietrich becomes the plug-in guy wherever, and its all good. I've come to terms with eventually having to deal Ozuna away since he won't sign here long term. But I don't trust the present F.O. to deal him because the return better be real good, and net us a package containing at least one potential front line starter. Wouldn't trust Mike Hill to do that.

The pitching is another matter. I don't think the only way to build a decent staff is to blow the team up and trade away the jewels of this team. If we had just added a Nova to this team, that would have been progress. I don't blame the F.O for the Ziegler/Tazawa fiasco but they've got to cut their losses quick, partially pay their salaries out and dump them on another team, and backfill with some of the young relief arms sitting in NO or Jax, or turn Big Salad into what he should have been, a reliever. If he becomes as effective as McGowen has been for us so far this year that's a positive. Turn Nico into the second reliever. If there's no new SP#5 to slot in, bring back Conley, definitely DFA Worley. I can take Conley fucking up, at least he's got starter potential and a limited history of succeeding.

Want to see if and how long it will take for the team to get back for 500. From there, will just have to see what, if anything, is possible then playoff wise. One thing for sure, any games in which we're leading the Nats (or Mets or Braves for that matter) into the late innings cannot turn into a relief fuckup, too many already have.         

I agree with most of everything that you said but I don't think that Ozuna doesn't want to sign a long term contract here but rather he doesn't want to sign one before becoming a FA.  It's a Scott Boras move.  I'm sure he would be willing to sign here if the money was right.  I also think that little squabble of a couple of years back between Ozuna/Boras and the Fish has been put to rest.  I would have to imagine that Ozuna would love to continue playing next to Stanton and Yelich for years to come.  He also loves living in Miami (SFLA).

Also, I think you can blame the F/O for Tazawa.  I don't think any other team would have offered him a two year deal.  Ziegler I will agree is not so much their fault.  Shit happens sometimes.

Yes, they should have gone for Ivan Nova hard.  The money they spent on Tazawa and Ziegler is more than what Nova signed for.  We are paying those two turds $28 Million combined for two seasons, while Pittsburgh signed Nova for $26 Million for three seasons.  Assuming of course that Nova would have wanted to play here but I have seen nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have or that we even tried to sign him.  I could be wrong though.  The whole stupid "Super bullpen" shit really clouded their judgement.  

#FireMikeHill