Starting rotation announced

Admin

Though I don’t understand the Straily choice, I like this rotation. Though I fully expect Alcantara to end up in the bullpen at some point. 

I fully expect Sandy to carve out a role in the rotation. Last year was his age 22 season and his third of 120+ IP. While inconsistent, 3 of his 6 starts at the big league level were 7IP with 2ER or fewer. The ability to throw strikes is what is holding him back from doing this more often, and a move to the bullpen isn’t the fix. He deserves at least 2 more years in the roatation (age 23 & 24 seasons) to see if he can gain some consistency.

Im much less confident in Guzman’s ability to remain as a starter  

Is he being groomed to start?  If so I would agree with your sentiment on that one.  I feel like Sandy could go in either direction.  Would love to see him elevate his game to be a fixture in the rotation but I feel like at the very very least he can be counted on as a solid contributor in the bullpen

Is he being groomed to start?  If so I would agree with your sentiment on that one.  I feel like Sandy could go in either direction.  Would love to see him elevate his game to be a fixture in the rotation but I feel like at the very very least he can be counted on as a solid contributor in the bullpen

Yes, Guzman is still working in the rotation. He is entering his age 23 season and I believe he will be starting in AA this year. It will be interesting to see if he can put it together finally 

I fully expect Sandy to carve out a role in the rotation. Last year was his age 22 season and his third of 120+ IP. While inconsistent, 3 of his 6 starts at the big league level were 7IP with 2ER or fewer. The ability to throw strikes is what is holding him back from doing this more often, and a move to the bullpen isn’t the fix. He deserves at least 2 more years in the roatation (age 23 & 24 seasons) to see if he can gain some consistency.

Well the problem with some of these big arms is that as they get fatigued and the arm slows down a little, they start to get too much running action on the ball and can’t control it. So yeah, keeping him at 1-2 innings would help. Plus he’s Not the typical 3-4 pitch starting pitcher so he lends himself to getting “figured out” the third time through the order. Obviously I’d love for him to find himself and dominate as a starter but history shows a trend for this kind of pitcher. I agree with Guzman too.

Well the problem with some of these big arms is that as they get fatigued and the arm slows down a little, they start to get too much running action on the ball and can’t control it. So yeah, keeping him at 1-2 innings would help. Plus he’s Not the typical 3-4 pitch starting pitcher so he lends himself to getting “figured out” the third time through the order. Obviously I’d love for him to find himself and dominate as a starter but history shows a trend for this kind of pitcher. I agree with Guzman too.

I get your point and think it’s valid to an extent, but way too broad. Here’s my thought process - 

1. How many 22/23 year olds have 3 or more well defined pitches w/ plus velo? 

2. On the “figuring him out” thing....here are some numbers from last year on Sandy.... 

1st time through - .209/.346/.349

2nd - .244/.370/.333

3rd - .172/316/.424

The increase in avg & slg per PA is actually below league average. Aka, they aren’t really “figuring him out” (yet) 

I would hesistate to generalize Sandy as a typical high velo, high effort arm. This is a 22/23 year old SP that has proven he belongs at the big league level in some capacity, and has shown some success in the SP role

I get your point and think it’s valid to an extent, but way too broad. Here’s my thought process - 

1. How many 22/23 year olds have 3 or more well defined pitches w/ plus velo? 

2. On the “figuring him out” thing....here are some numbers from last year on Sandy.... 

1st time through - .209/.346/.349

2nd - .244/.370/.333

3rd - .172/316/.424

The increase in avg & slg per PA is actually below league average. Aka, they aren’t really “figuring him out” (yet) 

I would hesistate to generalize Sandy as a typical high velo, high effort arm. This is a 22/23 year old SP that has proven he belongs at the big league level in some capacity, and has shown some success in the SP role

Well yeah the BA is lower but the slugging is higher so clearly they’re hitting him harder. As we know, BA isn’t really the best indicator sometimes. But yeah I get you. I understand the reason for optimism, but at the same time I’d rather temper our expectations rather than build around him being a centerpiece of the rotation and being let down. Honestly I’d rather you be right than me lol