Dan Straily Released

Admin

Maybe they signed Dallas Keuchel (ha)

Before anyone considers this seriously, it would not happen for one big reason. Not salary, but the fact they'd lose a draft pick. This isn't a franchise that should be giving away draft picks.

For what its worth I think that needs to be worked on in the next CBA. If a rebuilding team wants to make a signing like that, they shouldn't be punished for it.

The other day Michael asked why they set the roster and then wait days to announce it... this is why, because of moves like this that they had in mind that the public didn't know about. As much as we think we know everything we never know every idea the team and front office have. 

The problem is they lied because they said they informed the players of the decisions and didn't tell the public or media. But as of last night, Straily thought he made the team.

Either that or something changed their mind about Straily in the past 24 hours.

Before anyone considers this seriously, it would not happen for one big reason. Not salary, but the fact they'd lose a draft pick. This isn't a franchise that should be giving away draft picks.

For what its worth I think that needs to be worked on in the next CBA. If a rebuilding team wants to make a signing like that, they shouldn't be punished for it.

This definitely is gonna be changed especially if they do that thing where teams get punished for losing too many games for too many seasons in a row. You can't punish that and then punish the same team when they're trying to get better with free agent signings. 

This is strangely bad outcome on a player from a strategy that I actually am I board with.  The message from the team for this year has been that there will be more of a focus on keeping guys on the ML roster who are playing well enough to be there.  2018 Lewis Brinson isn’t going to exist on this Marlins team.  That player would be optioned down.  The mindset has moved forward this year which I agree with.  I think their goal is to name the five most deserving players to the rotation on opening day, which I guess they’ve sort of achieved.  The problem though is that it is short sighted and assume perfect health at a position where that never ever happens.  I also refuse to accept that Straily isn’t better than some of the other pitchers that will be pitching in relief.  Going into the season with a five man rotation set in stone and then your group of reliever as a separate and distinct group of pitchers is antiquated.  The Marlins pool of starting pitchers are perfect for using a modern approach to staff management.  Particularly guys like Alcantara and Smith.  We’re just not good enough to be DFA’ing Straily. 

I’d love to know the group decision making process behind this one.  If I had to guess I suspect Jeter told Hill and Mattingly that they are to field the best staff regardless of age with some caveats (like you can’t cut the guy you still owe $40 million to).  Mattingly probably doesn’t like the move but doesn’t see him in the rotation.  Hill probably arrived at this decision after weighing his manager’s wishes and his bosses marching orders and boom….a veteran with something to offer this season but who isn’t really in the cards for the long haul gets DFA’d.  I can’t see something like this happening in an organization where baseball ops decisions are made collectively by the President, GM, and where the manager is an on-field extension of those people. 

The Urena, Alcantara, Smith, Richards, Lopez rotation is very nice and something I think we can all smile about, but this is super risky in my opinion.  Not a fan unless there are things behind the scenes which made this inevitable.

If I'm Straily I'm pissed about this move. It's not like he couldn't contribute anymore and not like the young guys have proven themselves ready for a full season yet and they still kept Chen. Fuck that decision making. 

And he was a good soldier all along through the rebuild.

I understand why people are upset by the move but it doesn’t make sense. They want the young guys to log innings. As for depth they have guys in the minors they can bring up as well. I’m not saying it’s a good move, but I can see where their head is at. 

Then why tender him in the first place?