Opening Day Fox Sports Florida

For some reason, Fox Sports Florida has decided to forego airing the Marlins Opening Day game vs Colorado tomorrow in North and Central Florida. There is an Orlando Magic game airing at 7:00 PM but the pregame doesn’t start until 6:30 PM. They could have showed the Marlins game from 4-6:30 but instead they are showing meaningless Magic reruns.

Hope this changes when Fox Sports Florida and Fox Sports Sun are sold.

UPDATE:

This is even worse than originally thought. 

The South Florida viewing area will get the Marlins and Rays (on Fox Sports Sun) even though the Heat have a game starting at 7:30 PM tomorrow night. 

North/Central Florida will only get the Rays even though the Magic game starts only 30 Minutes earlier than the Heat game on Fox Sports Florida.

So to Review

FS Sun (South Florida Area)

3-4 Rays Live

4-7 Rays vs Astros

7-7:30 Heat Live

7:30-10 Heat Game

FS Florida (North/Central Florida Area)

3-4:30 Red Bull Racing

4:30-6:30 Inside The Magic

6:30-7 Magic Live

7-9:30 Magic Game

So the Rays get Opening Day viewed in 100% of the state but the Marlins can only get Opening Day viewed in 50% of the state.

Well that sucks. I took the day off to watch it. Hopefully the MLB package will be running the free promo for the first weekend as usual. 

The way Fox Sports Florida and Sun Sports are programmed is very unusual especially for NBA and NHL games. The way it’s broken down is:

Miami-Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce, and Naples-Fort Myers viewers get the Miami Heat and Florida Panthers.

Everyone North of those areas get the Orlando Magic and the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Both MLB teams (Marlins, Rays) are supposed to be broadcast statewide.

MLB Out-of-Market packages blackout the Marlins in the entire state of Florida. It’s not MLB’s fault though because Fox Sports Florida has the exclusive rights to broadcast Marlins games throughout the state.

This may be a dumb question but is this something the Marlins can request in the new TV deal? Showing the games to more of the state. It is an easy way to grow a fanbase.

They can request it however the Magic will take priority once their pregame show starts at 6:30 which is fine. From 3:00-6:30 they could show Marlins Live and the first 7 innings of the Marlins game instead of Inside the Magic which chronicles an NBA team that has won 0 Championships and hasn’t made the playoffs since 2012.

Could you not watch it on the fox sports go app?

Tomorrow's game isn't showing as an option for me on the app, at least not yet. But Friday's is. I live in the Daytona area for what that's worth. Looks like illegal stream it'll be for me, which is a bummer because I wanted to watch the game at a bar after I'm off work. But oh well.

I'm actually way more angry at this than I should be, although maybe I'm justified? I don't know. I've been excited, waiting for this day for months, just now to be told I won't be able to watch it legally because INSIDE THE MAGIC RE-RUNS are apparently more important. I agree with the original post, it'd be fine if they cut the game off for the Magic pre-show and game, but no reason to hold it off because of those re-runs, none whatsoever. I almost wonder if this means I won't be able to watch ANY games, if they're going to go that route.

I'm actually way more angry at this than I should be, although maybe I'm justified? I don't know. I've been excited, waiting for this day for months, just now to be told I won't be able to watch it legally because INSIDE THE MAGIC RE-RUNS are apparently more important. I agree with the original post, it'd be fine if they cut the game off for the Magic pre-show and game, but no reason to hold it off because of those re-runs, none whatsoever. I almost wonder if this means I won't be able to watch ANY games, if they're going to go that route.

I would be furious if this impacted me.  It makes no sense. The inconsistent treatment of the rays and marlins is odd.  

I would be furious if this impacted me.  It makes no sense. The inconsistent treatment of the rays and marlins is odd.  

This is even worse than originally thought. 

The South Florida viewing area will get the Marlins and Rays (on Fox Sports Sun) even though the Heat have a game starting at 7:30 PM tomorrow night. 

North/Central Florida will only get the Rays even though the Magic game starts only 30 Minutes earlier than the Heat game on Fox Sports Florida.

So to Review

FS Sun (South Florida Area)

3-4 Rays Live

4-7 Rays vs Astros

7-7:30 Heat Live

7:30-10 Heat Game

FS Florida (North/Central Florida Area)

3-4:30 Red Bull Racing

4:30-6:30 Inside The Magic

6:30-7 Magic Live

7-9:30 Magic Game

So the Rays get Opening Day viewed in 100% of the state but the Marlins can only get Opening Day viewed in 50% of the state.

Marlins get no respect.

Opening Day is a huge marketing opportunity for the Marlins including young stars and a updated ballpark. Also, the Marlins TV deal ends after this year. Based on what the Rays got the Marlins should get at least a $100 Million per year TV deal. Marlins have two championships, are committed to Miami, and have an owner that is committed to the long-term.

ALSO: If the Rays leave the Marlins will be the only team in the 3rd largest state in the country.