CONLEY

Ok.  I understand the argument that Chen makes too much money to just get rid of him, but what is the excuse for Conley?  This guy is just plain horrible.  There has to be someone better to replace him with right now; he needs to go... After today, his line is:

[ATTACH]2924._xfImport[/ATTACH]

conley.jpg.376db57ff63e2eff2d6b678efea63d24.jpg

He was one of the top relief targets last season at the trade deadline, but this silly organization decided to hold on to every reliever. 

Now Barraclough is gone for...I guess we’re going to call it Victor Victor Mesa to feel better about it, Conley stinks, and Steckenrider stinks as much as Conley.

So glad we kept all of the relievers. We really needed to keep them considering our bright, short-term future. 

He was one of the top relief targets last season at the trade deadline, but this silly organization decided to hold on to every reliever. 

Now Barraclough is gone for...I guess we’re going to call it Victor Victor Mesa to feel better about it, Conley stinks, and Steckenrider stinks as much as Conley.

So glad we kept all of the relievers. We really needed to keep them considering our bright, short-term future. 

I would agree about Stinkenrider, if and when Conley goes, he should be next... too many young replacement arms in the system to let these turds take a roster spot during a rebuild

Does he still have minor league options? Send him down?

not sure but he needs to learn a new pitch or something... despite his size and delivery, his pitches seem to be in a straight 9 to 3 line, needs a curve or a breaking ball or something that goes 12-6 to change the batter's eye

“feel like every guy I walk is unacceptable,” said Conley, who has allowed four free passes in 9 2/3 innings this season. “That’s really the thing about this game that bothers me the most. I’d rather I’d have attacked him and he put the ball in the seats, you know.

“I came into a tie game and my job was to hang a zero. I didn’t do that, and it all started with that walk.”

“There is an insanity about baseball that makes you love it and hate it,” the 28-year-old Conley said. “You can say it’s not fair, but there is no such thing as fair or unfair in this game. There are things that you can control, like walks, and I didn’t.

“I’ve had balls go through the infield for the last 24 years -- that’s going to happen -- but I need to use this as an opportunity to get better. To get better [arm] slots, to make better pitches, to miss bats. That’s all on me.”

I would give him a pass due to what he said after this game, not every player would blame himself so much, right ?

No, Conley has not been good.  But I don’t have a problem with him being on the team this season.  He’s not on massive wages.  He can get guys out.  No he’s not dominant, he doesn’t work out of jams without preventing runs.  But we’re not winning anything this year.  This is kind of the perfect season to give a guy of his profile an opportunity to try and carve out a new role on the team.  He’s in his late 20s.  He’s got decent size and he’s a former starter.  He tried the pen last year.  Let him continue working on that this season.  If things haven’t progressed for him then you make the choice to part ways.  But for now I say keep him.  I’m also aware that every time he enters the game I say/think/or post “Conley!!  UH!” or something of the sort.  In all seriousness though I think he should get 2019 to compete for a future spot and in some cases eat some innings in games that require it. 

I don't remember there being a great demand for him on the trade market last year but I'll take your word for it.  He's certainly not worth moving now.  I wouldn't sell low.

Conley is going to be the next guy that we DFA and see him turn into an Andrew Miller or Brad Hand elsewhere.

Don't get rid of him yet.

That's the concern.  It's unlikely he turns into that, but he's not hurting the club financially and he isn't totally incompetent in the way hat Chen is now and Tazawa was last year.  Letting Wittgren go this winter was a strange decision.  Letting Conley go would be similarly odd.

No, Conley has not been good.  But I don’t have a problem with him being on the team this season.  He’s not on massive wages.  He can get guys out.  No he’s not dominant, he doesn’t work out of jams without preventing runs.  But we’re not winning anything this year.  This is kind of the perfect season to give a guy of his profile an opportunity to try and carve out a new role on the team.  He’s in his late 20s.  He’s got decent size and he’s a former starter.  He tried the pen last year.  Let him continue working on that this season.  If things haven’t progressed for him then you make the choice to part ways.  But for now I say keep him.  I’m also aware that every time he enters the game I say/think/or post “Conley!!  UH!” or something of the sort.  In all seriousness though I think he should get 2019 to compete for a future spot and in some cases eat some innings in games that require it. 

I don't remember there being a great demand for him on the trade market last year but I'll take your word for it.  He's certainly not worth moving now.  I wouldn't sell low.

I think there was some trade demand, but I think we'd have been trading at low value, and we put some enormous overvalued price on him that nobody bit on.  At least from what I read.

“feel like every guy I walk is unacceptable,” said Conley, who has allowed four free passes in 9 2/3 innings this season. “That’s really the thing about this game that bothers me the most. I’d rather I’d have attacked him and he put the ball in the seats, you know.

“I came into a tie game and my job was to hang a zero. I didn’t do that, and it all started with that walk.”

“There is an insanity about baseball that makes you love it and hate it,” the 28-year-old Conley said. “You can say it’s not fair, but there is no such thing as fair or unfair in this game. There are things that you can control, like walks, and I didn’t.

“I’ve had balls go through the infield for the last 24 years -- that’s going to happen -- but I need to use this as an opportunity to get better. To get better [arm] slots, to make better pitches, to miss bats. That’s all on me.”

I would give him a pass due to what he said after this game, not every player would blame himself so much, right ?

see Dontrelle Willis during his decline..... it was always on him.

There was a demand for him at the deadline last year for sure. I agree that we shouldn’t sell low now.

Conley is going to be the next guy that we DFA and see him turn into an Andrew Miller or Brad Hand elsewhere.

Don't get rid of him yet.

Yeah I feel same about Conley, though it's frustrating.   I mean Guerrero didn't exactly come in and save the day either.  Get an out guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Conley clearly does not have it. He started well as a starter and then lost it. He started well as a reliever and lost it. If we let him go and he becomes the next Brad Handrew Miller, then it really says more about our pitching instruction then it does about Conley.