Cooper activated, Brinson optioned

SilverBullet

Samson says that Jeter and Denbo are at fault for the horrible Yelich trade.  Pro-Jeter fans push back and point out the bad trades that the Loria/Samson regime made.  Absent in all of this back and forth is any mention of Mike Hill, who was the GM during both regimes.  Mike "Teflon" Hill. 

Samson says that Jeter and Denbo are at fault for the horrible Yelich trade.  Pro-Jeter fans push back and point out the bad trades that the Loria/Samson regime made.  Absent in all of this back and forth is any mention of Mike Hill, who was the GM during both regimes.  Mike "Teflon" Hill. 

I thought 100% of this site agrees Mike Hill shouldn't be the GM (or whatever his official title is) anymore. I didn't realize this is a debate point?

I thought 100% of this site agrees Mike Hill shouldn't be the GM (or whatever his official title is) anymore. I didn't realize this is a debate point?

I advocated him staying as a "know the system" guy for a year (not as GM/current title), and letting him go after last season.  But yeah, he shouldn't be the GM for sure.

I think Hill was proven competent by his picks for the most part, but over ruled by LORIA himself on trades that involved sending prospects OUT.

Wasn't Loria the one who was balls deep on top 100 prospect rankings and constantly wanting top 100 prospects?

The longer Hill stays the less likely he is to leave. He's already outgrown the idea of him being here only as a transitional move. Of course that's counting on success. I'm assuming he has through next season to show that his moves with the new regime (and away from any Loria-like influences) are working. If the system and the future is looking bleak a year from now then you gotta believe that's the end of the line for Mike Hill.

The longer Hill stays the less likely he is to leave. He's already outgrown the idea of him being here only as a transitional move. Of course that's counting on success. I'm assuming he has through next season to show that his moves with the new regime (and away from any Loria-like influences) are working. If the system and the future is looking bleak a year from now then you gotta believe that's the end of the line for Mike Hill.

I'd agree with this.  The pitching is looking better, but the bats are obviously terrible. Granted, it's year 2, and you can't rebuild it all at once.  The Yelich deal still really stings though so far, and is obviously the biggest blunder so far in the truly Hill-led era.

The Yelich deal still really stings though so far, and is obviously the biggest blunder so far in the truly Hill-led era.

Yes but at the same time I don't rag on that one the way everyone else does. It looks way worse than it is because how the difference between Brinson and Yelich right now but if Brinson figures it out and the other pieces in that trade contribute then the trade was fine. If Yelich went to Milwaukee and didn't become MVP would people be as loud about that trade as they are now? People are judging that trade too much on what the guy we lost is doing as opposed to what the guys we got are doing. It's like if people think Brinson has to eventually win an MVP for the trade to be a success. Hopefully over time we still benefit from that deal. And yes I do understand that the trade has looked like a disaster up to this point, I'm not defending that.

Yes but at the same time I don't rag on that one the way everyone else does. It looks way worse than it is because how the difference between Brinson and Yelich right now but if Brinson figures it out and the other pieces in that trade contribute then the trade was fine. If Yelich went to Milwaukee and didn't become MVP would people be as loud about that trade as they are now? People are judging that trade too much on what the guy we lost is doing as opposed to what the guys we got are doing. It's like if people think Brinson has to eventually win an MVP for the trade to be a success. Hopefully over time we still benefit from that deal. And yes I do understand that the trade has looked like a disaster up to this point, I'm not defending that.

Oh I get that it's too early to judge the trade, especially considering the other guys we got aren't up here yet (well, I guess Brinson isn't either now), but it just stings extra with Yelich playing like he is.

The guys we got are doing nothing and the guy we traded won MVP.  How else do you judge a trade?  Unless you want to take the position that you have to wait many years to judge.  How about Ernie Broglio to the Cubs for Lou Brock?  Was that a "fine" deal too?

The guys we got are doing nothing and the guy we traded won MVP.  How else do you judge a trade?  Unless you want to take the position that you have to wait many years to judge.  How about Ernie Broglio to the Cubs for Lou Brock?  Was that a "fine" deal too?

We got 4 guys back right? 3 of them aren't in the majors yet... say those 3 guys are a big part of our team 2 years from now, then the trade looks a lot better on our end even if Brinson is a bust and even if Yelich stays this good. I'm just saying the majority of our return was meant to contribute to the Marlins down the line, gotta give that time to happen. 

We got 4 guys back right? 3 of them aren't in the majors yet... say those 3 guys are a big part of our team 2 years from now, then the trade looks a lot better on our end even if Brinson is a bust and even if Yelich stays this good. I'm just saying the majority of our return was meant to contribute to the Marlins down the line, gotta give that time to happen. 

Even if Yelich continued the incredible pace he has put up so far this year (he won't) and plays every game for the Brewers for the remainder of his contract (he's currently injured, so no on that) then the 4 players in the deal would have to put up a WAR of about 2 per year to match his production. According to Fangraphs that is somewhere between a role player and a solid starter. Of course if Brinson continues to play below replacement level then it get a bit harder to match that. Even still it does not seem outlandish that those 4 guys could still match Yelich's production collectively even given his incredible rise to prominence. Especially if one reaches all-star level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.