Chip Bowers Fired.

HanleyDavidson

Because they never get to play themselves. Still, what a weird thing to look at in the first week of May. 

Of all the weird things said on this forum, you point out that looking at strength of schedule in May is weird.   

That’s weird. 

Of all the weird things said on this forum, you point out that looking at strength of schedule in May is weird.   

That’s weird. 

I think about looking at strength of schedule for teams in the postseason races towards the end of the season, when strength of schedule matters in terms of who might get a few more wins to grab a playoff spot. 

The Marlins aren't in any postseason race and this isn't August or September so whats the point of looking at strength of schedule in May for them?

I think about looking at strength of schedule for teams in the postseason races towards the end of the season, when strength of schedule matters in terms of who might get a few more wins to grab a playoff spot. 

The Marlins aren't in any postseason race and this isn't August or September so whats the point of looking at strength of schedule in May for them?

Das mentioned that Jeter shouldn’t be surprised on how the team is performing so far based on the players on the field. 

Strength of schedule is relevant because it doesn’t appear things will be getting any easier for the teams performance based on their remaining schedule.  

I think the team is performing as constructed.  I think it’s strange that Jeter is making public comments that their performance is unacceptable.  

Again, I’m on board with the rebuild.  But I think the correct PR play for Jeter is to refrain from saying “we need better results on the field”.  

Das mentioned that Jeter shouldn’t be surprised on how the team is performing so far based on the players on the field. 

Strength of schedule is relevant because it doesn’t appear things will be getting any easier for the teams performance based on their remaining schedule.  

I think the team is performing as constructed.  I think it’s strange that Jeter is making public comments that their performance is unacceptable.  

Again, I’m on board with the rebuild.  But I think the correct PR play for Jeter is to refrain from saying “we need better results on the field”.  

Jeter isnt doing himself any fucking favors with comments like those, tbh.

Let's look at what the Marlins throw out there reguarly:

1. Granderson - He hit .212 in 2017 and .242 in 2018... definitely on the down swing of his career, while he is underpeforming a little, its not really that unexpected of a player in clear decline

2. Rojas - actually overperforming but has no business being somewhere other than 8th in a NL lineup

3. Anderson - I like him a lot, but he is really a 6 or 7 place hitter on a good team.

4. Castro - vastly under performing, but has no business in the 4 hole, needs to be 2 or 6.  

5. Prado - batting 5th is funny, they need to hope he doesnt get hurt and keeps on hitting so they can flip him for a mid level prospect.

6. Alfaro - I know I hated on him, but actually is probably where he needs to be in the lineup and is probably over performing a little.

7 and 8 who cares in the end?

Other notables:

Neil Walker : Had a horrible 2018 and is I guess where you'd expect him in 2019.  

Garrett Cooper: I like him but he is 28 so who really cares.  

What the fuck did Jeter expect with no leadoff hitter, no middle of the order hitters, no power bats?

Spectacular job in building this lineup.  If its about holding people accountable, why is Michael Hill still employed?

Because its not like Jeter is going to hold himself accountable for any of this roster.

Ok... but what should Jeter say? Do you think he should say "This team is playing exactly as they were built to play so everything is fine". Isn't some optimism and a hint of expecting better a more appropriate response to the media? Remember the casual fans and even non fans hear these responses, I think they'd be more comfortable with Jeter acting like he wants better even under the circumstances. 

I know it's BS but I think I'm ok with the BS in those interviews... those are BS media interviews anyways is my point. It's like when you cheer someone up and say everything is gonna be fine even if that's BS. If someone is having a bad day you don't normally say "tough shit screw you it will never get better." 

Ok... but what should Jeter say? Do you think he should say "This team is playing exactly as they were built to play so everything is fine". Isn't some optimism and a hint of expecting better a more appropriate response to the media? Remember the casual fans and even non fans hear these responses, I think they'd be more comfortable with Jeter acting like he wants better even under the circumstances. 

Every team that has been honest with their fans and actually followed through with said plans have had long term success.  Be honest with your fans.  Its kinda the biggest issue the Marlins have had over the last 10 years especially.  

Saying you expect this team to be better is a slap in the face to fans.  Anyone with half a brain can see whats being thrown out there and know they will suck.

What?  instead of 10 wins they should have 12?  Who gives a fuck about that?  

Every team that has been honest with their fans and actually followed through with said plans have had long term success.  Be honest with your fans.  Its kinda the biggest issue the Marlins have had over the last 10 years especially.  

Saying you expect this team to be better is a slap in the face to fans.  Anyone with half a brain can see whats being thrown out there and know they will suck.

What?  instead of 10 wins they should have 12?  Who gives a fuck about that?  

The Astros and Cubs and Braves and Brewers etc etc weren't giving optimistic responses to the media when their teams were losing 100 games? 

The Astros and Cubs and Braves and Brewers etc etc weren't giving optimistic responses to the media when their teams were losing 100 games? 

Not really.  At least not the Astros and Cubs, they never really painted any rosy picture about things.  They were honest with their fans about the process.

If Jeter had fired Michael Hill along with Bowers, then its fine.

But to blame Bowers which is what he essentially did but just let Hill get off basically with no repercussions is moronic.  

If you think the on field product should be better, then why are all people responsible for that still a member of the organization?

Oh wait.  They fired the hitting coach.

New theory: Chip Bowers was in charge of securing the TV Deal and / or buying the channel / RSN. 

He failed, and lied about how his progress was. Got fired just before Disney sold it to Sinclair but right when Jeter found out.  

New theory: Chip Bowers was in charge of securing the TV Deal and / or buying the channel / RSN. 

He failed, and lied about how his progress was. Got fired just before Disney sold it to Sinclair but right when Jeter found out.  

Fair assumption but a few sources have said he wasn't in charge of the TV deal. 

Even though Luhnow intellectually understands why his Astros must lose, he maintains that doesn't make it any easier. "The hardest part for me is when people think we don't care," he says. "We desperately care. Would I prefer to be able to do this with losing 70 games a year instead of 100? No question about it. Do I think it's possible? I really don't."

As for concerns about the payroll, "we feel we're going to have the resources we need to add the appropriate players to complement what we have to win when we need to win," Luhnow says.

https://www.si.com/vault/2014/06/30/106479598/astromatic-baseball-houstons-grand-experiment

apology accepted

He absolutely didn't blame Bowers for the on field product.

I know, he blamed him for other things and went on to talk about accountability and things need to be better et al, including the on field product.

If he wasnt meeting your expectations on the business side, you have to hold the people in charge of hte on field product accountable also.

Manager Dale Sveum was informed during his interview last winter that the process would be slow. For that reason, he is being judged more on his ability to teach than his ability to win.

"We told him that based on where we are as a franchise, we're going to try to win but we're not going to evaluate him on wins and losses the first couple of years, to be honest, because it wouldn't be fair," Epstein said. "We knew we would be putting out a team that had too much developing talent to be evaluating him strictly on wins and losses. We will evaluate him on a number of other criteria that we shared with him, and I think he has done a fantastic job to be honest with you."

http://www.espn.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8378766/chicago-cubs-president-theo-epstein-levels-fans-future

apology accepted again

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.