Greg Cote: True Marlins fans showing optimism

SilverBullet

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article229940739.html

This Miami Marlins season could not be more engulfed in depression -- at least if all you saw was the easy outside view.

In South Florida we are seeing beyond that. We are seeing small, bright glimpses of the future.

I hear a lot how the Marlins have “the worst fans in America.” I am forever correcting that notion, or at least adding an addendum. Marlins fans who regularly attend games —a hard core of maybe 7,000, have to be the best fans in South Florida. Because these are faith-keepers, the true baseball lovers, the folks able to see past today’s losses and imagine what Jeter is imagining down the road.

Marlins fans get a bad rap.

When you can keep your patience and your faith and see a future beyond the rubble because you love baseball so much, you are far from a lousy fan. You are exactly the kind of fan this franchise so desperately needs.

He's a fake fan.

I don’t think he’s being fake as much as he is tired of the pile on of negativity surrounding the organization. He thinks the negativity is unfair to fans who have gone through the last decade of mediocrity followed by tragic loss followed by organizational restructuring.

I think Jeter has a specific plan for the team that will lead to sustainable success. That is why I have not criticized him. Loria did not plan for sustainable success. 

Loria

Bad Farm System 27th

Overpaying for Stanton without having a good starting rotation after Fernandez

Unclear Marketing Message

Jeter

Much Better Farm System 13th

Not overpaying for players except for ones that are stuck on books from Loria Era (Chen etc.)

Clear Marketing Message with an improved ballpark

I don’t think he’s being fake as much as he is tired of the pile on of negativity surrounding the organization. He thinks the negativity is unfair to fans who have gone through the last decade of mediocrity followed by tragic loss followed by organizational restructuring.

I think Jeter has a specific plan for the team that will lead to sustainable success. That is why I have not criticized him. Loria did not plan for sustainable success. 

Loria

Bad Farm System 27th

Overpaying for Stanton without having a good starting rotation after Fernandez

Unclear Marketing Message

Jeter

Much Better Farm System 13th

Not overpaying for players except for ones that are stuck on books from Loria Era (Chen etc.)

Clear Marketing Message with an improved ballpark

You're absolutely right but the fake fan line is a joke here, it actually means true die hard fan because recently someone said that optimistic fans who still attend games are actually fake fans and not real ones.

It's even more ridiculous now that I think about it again.

One positive thing I think we can point to at this juncture is the state of pitching organizational wide.  It was not good at all in 2017. No reliable quality anywhere near the major league level.  Lots of bad contracts at the major league level and some serviceable players on the decline.  While we are still clearly not a good MLB club there is a lot of exciting quality pitching prospects that look to have Major League Baseball in them.  It’s not just acquiring these arms.  It’s development too.  

One positive thing I think we can point to at this juncture is the state of pitching organizational wide.  It was not good at all in 2017. No reliable quality anywhere near the major league level.  Lots of bad contracts at the major league level and some serviceable players on the decline.  While we are still clearly not a good MLB club there is a lot of exciting quality pitching prospects that look to have Major League Baseball in them.  It’s not just acquiring these arms.  It’s development too.  

Well said.

Missed the game thread since I was traveling last night, but when I saw the attempted HBP on Urena, they played the braves broadcast and they were upset that there was no warning put out. Then I checked out the braves broadcast of that game last August and they did not seem upset that Urena got no warnings. They even said about a minute prior that Urena tends to hit a lot of batters by trowing inside establishing that it may have not been intentional.

On the other hand does anyone find it suspicious that the braves called up a 6th starter Toussaint before the game and he happens to come in to replace Gausman? Sounds intentional to me. Snitker should have gotten canned too.

I do like some of the young arms they have up and in their farm for sure.  I'm just annoyed to no end that outside of Alfaro, nobody really makes me want to watch them when they're up to bat and they don't really have any truly promising batters in the minors either.  But yeah, pitching is getting there and if Sixto manages to reach his lofty ceiling it'll really help accelerate the overall pitching.

I’ve been a diehard Marlins fan for over 20 years. I’m going to my 4th game of the year tomorrow and I live 200 feet from the Palm Beach County line.  

I watch every game I can on TV even after everything has happened (including trading Yelich and his extremely club friendly contract.  

I can’t wait to watch Sixto pitch in person.

But if in 3 or 4 years I see Derek Jeter having a press conference saying “baseball just isn’t viable in South Florida and that’s why we are seeking to relocate the franchise”, I won’t be shocked at all. 

In fact,  PURE SPECULATION, that is possibly the current Plan B.   

But if in 3 or 4 years I see Derek Jeter having a press conference saying “baseball just isn’t viable in South Florida and that’s why we are seeking to relocate the franchise”, I won’t be shocked at all. 

What is the lease situation.  I honestly am not tuned into the finer points because when the deal was done I just assumed it would be really long and strong enough to prevent shenanigans 

It’s a very long lease. 

I figured.  Like 30 years at least.  Assuming it wasn’t written by a moron I’d imagine relocation is not an option for Jeter. it should include specific performance language which means you can’t just buy it out. 

35-year lease. Per the original ballpark agreement. So relocation would not really be an option. Contraction also has a note by the way:

"the Florida Marlins' agreement also prohibits the team from volunteering for or voting in favor of its own contraction."

Leases can always be broken.

That said, Monte Harrison intrigues me.

Victor Victor Mesa definitely intrigues me.

The rest.. oh boy.

Maybe throw Isan Diaz on that list too. But I wouldn’t fight anyone if they didn’t agree.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.