Sign in to follow this  
HanleyDavidson

Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.

2 minutes ago, el penguino said:

Might not even be my second choice. It's like Loria is on a mission to fuck up this franchise in any way possible.

These guys get bonus points for being from NY. Especially Jeter. He alone will bring new fans to the team. Also the culture thing. I guess Jeter has a +1 in that too. 

Not a Marlins fan here, but I'm very interested to see if Michael Jordan does the same thing as minority owner of the Fish that he did as minority owner of the Bobcats/Hornets.

Just now, squall said:

These guys get bonus points for being from NY. Especially Jeter. He alone will bring new fans to the team. Also the culture thing. I guess Jeter has a +1 in that too. 

But isn't it frightening that Jeter probably doesn't know anything about running this team, given his total lack of business experience? The only thing going for him is his Yankees pedigree and "clean" image (which I think is kind of laughable anyway).

5 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

Rosenthal says Sherman is control person and Jeter is CEO. Who is this Sherman fellow?

Hopefully not Joel Sherman of the NY Post. Or maybe Sherman from Sherman and Peabody? 

Sale might not even be completed until OCTOBER... I'm telling ya guys... You can smile and have a beer tonight but don't go crazy yet, this is far from over and it's still gonna be a while before the changes start happening. It's still the Loria and Mike Hill show for a bit longer. 

5 minutes ago, el penguino said:

But isn't it frightening that Jeter probably doesn't know anything about running this team, given his total lack of business experience? The only thing going for him is his Yankees pedigree and "clean" image (which I think is kind of laughable anyway).

You're right. This is probably good news from a public and media standpoint as in the marlins are gonna get some positive news headlines for once and transplanted New Yorkers here are gonna love this but it's still questionable how good this is for the team. I mean it's only decidedly good in the sense that it's no longer Loria in charge. Beyond that I'm gonna wait until I see results. 

I thought I would be excited for this day when it came but right now I'm indifferent if not alittle bummed. It's not that I don't want Loria to sell but Mas seemed like the better fit for this team based on what we had seen. Really seemed that Mas never stood a chance as long as Jeter hung on. Don't call me optimistic for spending on payroll when they struggled and struggled to come up with enough to purchase the team.

The thought of someone who has spent the last 20 years doing nothing besides being an overrated player and fucking models being placed in a position where he can make franchise-changing decisions is pretty scary, considering that he has little financial stake in the team's success.

It's certainly possible that he could run this team into the ground and not suffer from it. I feel like MLB and owners would vote something like this down in most instances, but probably won't because it's the Jeets.