Sign in to follow this  
Bald Eagle

When did you become a Marlins fan and why?

When I was like 10 because my sister's friend worked for FS Florida and took me to panthers and Marlins games. 

Hindsight, how naive. 

I did get to live through 2003 though. That was spectacular. In fact, I became a fan that year, while they were still out of it. I remember my first game. A 0-3 loss to the Mets. My 12 year old cousin said to me after I the game... "the Marlins never win anything." I told him off, and witnessed the magic. 

2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Maybe changed this thread to "did you regret to become a Marlins fan ?"…

start documenting how you switched from being a marlins fans to another team next season

I became a fan in '97 when I was 6. 

My family loves baseball, but they're NY'ers and they're Yankees fans (although my dad also roots for the Marlins). I was born here and I've always been a contrarian so when the Marlins were in the playoffs in '97, I thought it was a lot of fun. And when they won the World Series that year, the way they won it won me over. That's really one of the best World Series ever. 

I've been a fan ever since, and beating the Yankees six years later was awesome. Maybe they can do that again before I die. 

I'll tell the truth 

I became a Marlins fan in 1997 as they were surging toward the playoffs.

Not while they were "still out of it". 

20 years ago I was a bandwagon fan and 20 years later I'm still a diehard fan.

Diehard fans were once bandwagon fans.

Thats how it works usually.

I became a fan in 1998 because that's when I moved to South Florida. I was 8. I went to my first game that year as well. I started regularly watching on TV around that same time, on WAMI, "Marlins in the win column!"

4 hours ago, Dr Beinfest said:

When I was like 10 because my sister's friend worked for FS Florida and took me to panthers and Marlins games. 

Hindsight, how naive. 

I did get to live through 2003 though. That was spectacular. In fact, I became a fan that year, while they were still out of it. I remember my first game. A 0-3 loss to the Mets. My 12 year old cousin said to me after I the game... "the Marlins never win anything." I told him off, and witnessed the magic. 

Nice. Pre-Torborg or Post-Torborg? I went to a game that year while they were still out of it that I remember vividly, AJ Burnett's last game before he had TJ surgery. Pujols hit a homer to right field that landed in a row in front of me. Torborg was fired soon after if my memory holds correct. Vladimir Nunez was the opening day closer that year and was awful before Looper eventually took over.

I became a fan at 10 years old in 93 with the hype of "hey we got a real mlb team" and the fun of being able to follow them from day one was alluring to me. 

I then followed them non stop until 98/99 when, I didn't stop becoming a fan, but life (aka being a high school student and college student) made it easier to watch them less because I had so many other things going on in my life. So they basically weren't a priority for me anymore and them losing so much was an easy excuse to not watch them closely.  

When they made the playoffs in 2003 I dove right back in to watching as much as I did in 93 to 98, but when they won the world series I noticed how many bandwagon fans there were and I almost felt ashamed because in a sense I had become one myself since I scaled back my fandom in 98 until late 03. So I basically vowed to never do that again and promised myself I'd stick with this team through both good and bad. 

I could have easily gone back on that but the fun I had watching the 2006 team really sealed it for me. If i could survive that team and enjoy it then I could surely follow this forever and here I am. It sucks how much more negative than positive there has been since then but that's proof to myself that I am a true Marlins fan because I'm still watching. 

6 hours ago, RIP16 said:

Nice. Pre-Torborg or Post-Torborg? I went to a game that year while they were still out of it that I remember vividly, AJ Burnett's last game before he had TJ surgery. Pujols hit a homer to right field that landed in a row in front of me. Torborg was fired soon after if my memory holds correct. Vladimir Nunez was the opening day closer that year and was awful before Looper eventually took over.

Oof I couldn't tell ya. I was a kid. Was still learning all the players names then. It was probably towards the beginning of the season though.