WTF? MLB approves Rays to explore playing in BOTH Tampa and Montreal?

It’s better for baseball if the Rays leave Florida and go to Montreal. 

The Marlins should get a TV deal of over $100Million per year because of their territorial exclusivity of Florida with almost 10 Million TV households.

We could go back to being the Florida Marlins and have 1 or 2 Home Games per year in Tampa or Orlando.

The name change was part of the ballpark agreement. Wouldn’t be so easy to go back to Florida. 

The name change was part of the ballpark agreement. Wouldn’t be so easy to go back to Florida. 

The team could try to come to an agreement with the city where they could go back to being the Florida Marlins with heavy promotion of the city of Miami via having an F insignia on the front of the cap while putting Miami on the back, TV/Radio promotion of the city during game telecasts, having a Miami Road Alternate Uniform etc.

why are the marlins the clown show for the rest of MLB teams? but here the Rays comes up with crazy shits like these and no one makes fun of them.

The tide is turning, since Mid-May when the team had it’s winning streak, the Rays and Orioles have been promoted as the clown show of baseball as opposed to the Marlins. There are four teams with worse records than the Marlins, all in the American League The Orioles are expected to break the record for most HR’s given up with a lot of time to spare.

With our starting pitching, we will have at least 20,000 per night in the stands and make the playoffs by 2021.

Here's the press conference from Stu Sternberg about the idea.

Basically they haven't talked to either city, they don't have financing, they don't have a name, they want two new open air ballparks from two cities when they can't get money from one for a single park, but Manfred and the owners gave them permission to explore this.

He seemed pretty adamant that there's no 'plan B' of keeping the team in Tampa for a full season - not in St. Pete, not in Ybor, or Tampa Bay.

He said a renovation/expansion of "Al Lang Stadium" is a possibility for the new Tampa park.

He claims it won't be a prolonged exit from Tampa, but I just don't see this working or being a viable thing.

He seemed pretty adamant that there's no 'plan B' of keeping the team in Tampa for a full season - not in St. Pete, not in Ybor, or Tampa Bay.

Huh? So what if the 2 city deal doesnt happen then what? This seems like posturing but it's weird for him to say there is no other option. 

Huh? So what if the 2 city deal doesnt happen then what? This seems like posturing but it's weird for him to say there is no other option. 

That's what I thought as I watched it.  How do you say your plan is to do everything you can to keep the team in the Tampa area and then turn around and basically say, this harebrained plan is all or nothing?  If this doesn't work, he says he doesn't see a way the team can stay.

I did notice the comments about how it's not up to only one person when it comes to where baseball is played, but it's ultimately  up to a large group.  I interpreted that as "when I move the team, I can blame it on the local gov, MLB, MLBPA, etc." so he's "not the bad guy."

Yeah, it was odd.  He was asked by several reporters the same question point blank, "so if this split deal doesn't work, will you revert to the full 81 games here in TB?" And he repeatedly said, "that's not our focus right now, after all we've been through and learned, it's highly unlikely".  Asked if there was anything Tampa could do to keep the team the full season - "I don't see it, given what I know"

In his prepared statement, he said how it'd be about "baseball thriving in both places like it could not - would not - were all 81 games in one place."

Granted, their lease runs through 2027, so theoretically they'll be there until then unless some other agreement is made.  But that said, I also didn't understand his timeline.  He was saying ideally this would be set up for 2024, but then they have the lease through 2027 at the Trop, and hey said they're committed to that too, which would mean either they're paying to not play in the Trop, or it's just a 2027 lease for St. Pete the city, not the Trop specifically?

So their backup plan is just nothing?

The idea that this ISN'T a negotiating tactic ("build us a park or else") is crazy.  Not to mention, the league/owners would miss out on an expansion team fee in a "new" city.

This is all kinds of weird.

Borderline worse than Loria in the sense that Loria always took the stance of really wanting to help the Marlins stay here while today this guy is flat out saying he can't see the Rays surviving in Tampa full time. 

This is all kinds of weird.

Borderline worse than Loria in the sense that Loria always took the stance of really wanting to help the Marlins stay here while today this guy is flat out saying he can't see the Rays surviving in Tampa full time. 

I agree completely and think it’s worse than Loria, Loria made boneheaded moves at times but in the end he always genuinely wanted the best for the team and the best for South Florida. He signed a 13 Year, $300 Million contract for Stanton. That takes commitment.

On Opening Day of 2018, the Rays owner complained during an in-game interview about how the new $3 coffee they were promoting was ”too cheap”.

Just think if you’re a Rays fan, why would I spend money to support a team when I may not be able to attend any postseason games.

Finally, if they ever win a World Series (They Haven’t Yet) where are they going to have their parade!

I have an idea, they can meet each other in SOUTH HILL, VA!  

So grateful to be a fan of Florida’s only MLB team, the Miami Marlins!!!

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

[MEDIA=twitter]1143637031685373953[/MEDIA]

I knew we were going to grow into a much larger fan base if the Rays left. Having exclusive TV rights to the state of Florida will help us have a much larger payroll.

All I see is “Florida Man Yells at Wall” 

They want two open air ballparks because building a dome in ONE location is too expensive. This just comes down to politics and a politician being a dick. I think this is the only leverage they could try to get without burning all bridges for 8 more years. 

Realistically, I’d just fold in a few years- bankruptcy like if you will. They can’t force a business that went under to play. They can pay- but they won’t have anyone here. Let him try to purchase another team after a one team expansion is done- move the organization / players to a new team and let sternberg buy some other team eventually. 

Think of he Barons/Seal/North stars/ Sharks situation as a fallback if anything.