SilverBullet1929

Derek Jeter: "First Day of a New Era"

On 10/13/2017 at 1:58 AM, el penguino said:

What does that mean exactly? That he knew he would sell the team before year 13? Don't you think that in his mind Loria knew that he almost certainly wouldn't be paying for year 8 either?

Isn't it possible that's the length of contract that was required in order to lock down Stanton? You said it yourself that you are glad Loria signed him rather than traded him. This is the price.

I 100% believe that a 13 year contract was not necessary to lock down Stanton.  

Yes, I think the 13 years thing is trivial. Stanton probably could not have been signed for much less than $325 million or so, so the Marlins stretched  that guaranteed money over the course of 13 seasons because that's more in their favor.

So unless you think that Stanton could have been signed for less money, I don't see where Loria did anything remotely evil.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article179105686.html

Jeter has now let go of about 15 front office employees but is looking to extend Stan Meek's contract. If I'd have picked two front office guys who needed to go it would have been Mike Hill and Stan Meek yet both seem to be sticking around. Geez. 

He fired all the underlings and kept the top guys, interesting.

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

He fired all the underlings and kept the top guys, interesting.

And I get the feeling that there were probably some pretty good/underrated/underappreciated front office people in the "underlings." People who may have made a difference. 

I know it's clearly too early to really judge but Jeter's front office changes seem to be equal to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.