TV ratings down; streaming numbers up from last year

Admin

Behavioral changes.  Also the article doesn’t specifically cite Mlb.tv in their streaming options.  Maybe they were excluded. Locals can’t view through that until the game is archived so in theory anyone watching them that way isn’t local so if they’ve been watching the marlins from another market Last year they probably did this year too 

I know I've watched more games on FoxSportsGo (on my computer) than on TV this year.  I can let the game play off to the side, while using my TV for video games.

I figured TV ratings would be about even vs. last year, but 13% may not be much, and especially if you consider the streaming numbers, overall numbers may be about flat.  They'll surely grow when/as the team does better - as with in-person attendance, people tuning in won't want to watch a bad team.

I think most TV series would show similar results. Lower ratings, higher streaming numbers.

It'll be interesting to see how they structure the new deal.  Obviously it'll have to include a streaming component, which was something not even thought of when the last deal was made.

Whoever analyzes this stuff better not really be looking at TV ratings alone without accounting for how many people no longer have traditional TV. 

That would be like saying nobody is watching movies in 2019 because VHS sales are down. 

Good point. Some people look at this and think "streaming" means MLB.tv or Fox Sports Go.

No, it also includes those people who canceled Comcast, Dish, DirecTV, etc and switched to YouTubeTV, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, etc.

Good point. Some people look at this and think "streaming" means MLB.tv or Fox Sports Go.

No, it also includes those people who canceled Comcast, Dish, DirecTV, etc and switched to YouTubeTV, PS Vue, DirecTV Now, etc.

Like me. I canceled cable in February and went with YouTube TV. So I haven't watched a single baseball game on traditional TV this year. Does this mean I no longer watch the Marlins? Not at all as I now watch all the games on YouTube TV. 

I could be wrong but at first glance I would actually think "TV ratings down but streaming numbers up" actually means more people are watching the team this year considering how many more people have switched to streaming in recent years. It's no longer a small group of people who stream TV, it's growing by the day. 

Like me. I canceled cable in February and went with YouTube TV. So I haven't watched a single baseball game on traditional TV this year. Does this mean I no longer watch the Marlins? Not at all as I now watch all the games on YouTube TV. 

I could be wrong but at first glance I would actually think "TV ratings down but streaming numbers up" actually means more people are watching the team this year considering how many more people have switched to streaming in recent years. It's no longer a small group of people who stream TV, it's growing by the day. 

You're able to get Marlins games on YouTube TV?