Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Why has Derek Jeter received so much hate?

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

Everyone says how inexperienced Jeter is at owning a baseball team so isn't it smart for him to NOT be at the meetings and just let his actual front office do their jobs?

Correct.

Just now, SilverBullet1929 said:

Everyone says how inexperienced Jeter is at owning a baseball team so isn't it smart for him to NOT be at the meetings and just let his actual front office do their jobs?

Yup.  I guess it comes with the territory as a new owner and especially as a famous new owner, but he is just going to have to face the fact that he is not going to win with the media and their criticism.  Especially media people who dont really care to look at the marlins as a whole and realize he is 100% doing the right thing.

This is a great point though.  If he goes, people would say why is he making moves and in charge of the baseball operations when he has no experience.  Now that he isnt going and is letting his baseball people call the shots, now people are outraged the other way and are saying he should be there since he is head of baseball operations.  It's just a no win situation.

3 hours ago, sdg210 said:

Is I because he's done nothing but fuck up since he got here? Do you even watch the news? 

What has he done that’s so wrong?

2 hours ago, Jokersgoon said:

Because a lot of people want to complain for the sake of complaining. 

My only issue was the waltz firing. 

Everything else I’ve been more than fine with. 

Jeter probably didn’t even fire Waltz.

3 hours ago, fauowls44 said:

Also, he has the perfect opportunity to shift the blame on Loria here...not sure why he hasn't taken it. 

Cause then it'll spun as him passing the buck even if it is true.

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Jeter probably didn’t even fire Waltz.

Yeah that's very speculative. More likely he did indirectly. Waltz was probably due to make too much and Fox knows ratings will go lower during the rebuild.

1 hour ago, el penguino said:

Main reason for me is that he and his group are too poor to be owning this franchise. It seems like a vanity thing and if Jeter weren't a golden boy, Mas would have possibly gotten the team.

Mas would’ve traded Stanton too.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Cause then it'll spun as him passing the buck even if it is true.

exactly.  No matter what he does he will be criticized because of the necessity of the situation to rebuild and especially given the fire sale history of the team.  This is pretty clearly the right thing to do, it's just a terrible situation for the new ownership to inherit because of the history of the team and the vitriol of the casual fan base down here who just doesnt fully understand the situation.

1 minute ago, Erick said:

Mas would’ve traded Stanton too.

That's not the issue here. Trading Stanton alone isn't going to solve the deeply rooted financial problems that franchise has. Jeter/Sherman are too poor to own this team.

Also, this is way old news already but I always thought the think the thing about Jeter not calling Stanton was overblown... if Mike Hill called Stanton and told him Jeter's plan and asked him what teams he preferred and kept him abreast of all the trade stuff then that's enough for me. Jeter is the owner. Mike Hill is the President of Baseball Operations. Yes maybe it would have been courtesy for Jeter to call Stanton himself but if he didn't and at least Hill spoke to Stanton then that's good enough for me.

Actually, Stanton and the Herald both said that there was a scheduled meeting after the World Series so they probably did meet and talk then. The line about them never meeting came from the GM Meetings where Jeter said he hadn't talked to Stanton about the rumors during that week... that doesn't mean they never ever spoke before or after that week.