Proposed new start times

THRILLHO

I’m curious to hear what everyone here has to say about the idea regarding the early start times for weekday games next season?

The easy cynical response would go something like “HAHAHA Jeter doesn’t understand Miami time….everyone is always late now you’re making the games earlier”.    I think it is the sort of thing that is really difficult to project and the only way to know if it would impact attendance positively is if you actually test it out.  Personally, I live too far as it is to attend weekday games. Regarding TV though, I can see myself missing early innings a lot more as a result because I often have things going on during that time of day.  But if it means being able to stay up and see the end of games, or allowing my younger kids to stay up and see those innings where things are tight and competitive, then it could have a positive impact that doesn’t necessarily reflect in the gate number.  The gate matters, but its about so much more than the gate.  I feel like this decision is being made with children in mind and also to entice the work crowd to leave their office and go right to the game.  The kids angle may work for people that are relatively close to the stadium.  I’m not sure about the work crowd.  I used to work in downtown Miami.  Granted this was a while ago and I had a different job back then.  Hours were rough.  Fitting in anything social was not happening for me.  But hey, small sample size, n=1, and all that. 

Hope it works out on all fronts.  Go Fish. #F-YeaJeter

I notice that it's only for April May and September so it's based on the school year and its also only during the week so it's clearly meant for those who want to get home a little earlier on a school night. As a teacher I think it's definitely worth a shot as it will help in removing "oh but it's a school night" as an excuse to not go. And as a fan sitting at home and watching on TV I think starting a little earlier could be nice too. I definitely don't think this idea can hurt.

I think Saturday games need to be 7-7:30 start time for the promotional giveaways. I work Saturdays (I’m in hospitality) and I am gunna do my best to get the Brian Anderson bobblehead that game cause it’s at 6:10. Saturdays I typically get off between 4-5 depending and I work off Atlantic Blvd in Pompano. However, for weeknight games, I do think 6:30-6:45 are better start times. Games end earlier, and fans go home earlier. I’m off work today so I’m probably gunna go. Lol

Well, the park is horrible to get there from Broward, especially during the week. There's been a few times my brother and parents have joined me at a game during the week (or even a Friday), and even for the 7:10 start it was tough for them to get there, always running into ridiculous traffic (I work 15-20 mins from the stadium, so I'm already nearby). That 6:40 time makes it even worse. They did that poll and I guess people wanted it earlier. Or it was a poll for the sake of having a poll and pretend like they're listening. I mean, I guess their argument is they're starting earlier so people with kids won't be out as late, which I certainly understand.  And selfishly, it'd mean less waiting around if I go to a game straight from work.  I live in Fort Lauderdale, but work nearby, so I'm not going home or anywhere else between work and the game.

Hey, if they try it and attendance increases, awesome.  If they get feedback that people don't like it, I'm sure they'll change it back for the following season.

On Saturdays I really like 4pm games. I think they're perfect for when you have other Saturday evening plans.  7pm Saturday games really make some people have to choose between the game or another activity.

I agree with earlier start times for Mon-Thur home games, but I love 7:10 Saturday Night Baseball. I would HATE 4 PM start times on the regular. 

On Saturdays I really like 4pm games. I think they're perfect for when you have other Saturday evening plans.  7pm Saturday games really make some people have to choose between the game or another activity.

I agree.  Selfishly I like 1 pm Sunday and 4-6 on Saturday. But I get not everyone has my schedule.  Having a Saturday night game helps people like @Italian Marlins Fan So it’s probably good to keep a weekend night option available too.  Whatever schedule casts the widest net to give everyone an option. 

I agree.  Selfishly I like 1 pm Sunday and 4-6 on Saturday. But I get not everyone has my schedule.  Having a Saturday night game helps people like @Italian Marlins Fan So it’s probably good to keep a weekend night option available too.  Whatever schedule casts the widest net to give everyone an option. 

The only thing I’m really against is earlier start times on Saturdays. I do selfishly like later saturday games. Tbh I don’t really care about the weeknights. Whatever works. But yea we’ll see how it works. I want to be open minded, too.