Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Predict the Opening Day 25-Man Roster

Recommended Posts

MLB.com is doing the same today and below are Joe Frisaro's predictions. Unlike most of the last several seasons, this year's Opening Day roster isn't set in stone for many reasons so this could be fun to predict and to look back upon on Opening Day.

Who do you think makes the Opening Day roster? 

C- JT Realmuto

1B- Justin Bour

2B- Starlin Castro

3B- Martin Prado

SS- JT Riddle

OF- Lewis Brinson, Braxton Lee, Magneuris Sierra 

Bench- Tomas Telis, Derek Dietrich, Miguel Rojas, Garrett Cooper

Starting Pitchers- Dan Straily, Jose Urena, Adam Conley, Dillon Peters, Wei Yin Chen

Bullpen- Brad Ziegler (Closer), Kyle Barraclough, Junichi Tazawa, Jarlin Garcia, Drew Steckenrider, Nick Wittgren, Caleb Smith, Justin Nicolino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they'd be pretty dum to mlb those 3 OFers before may or whatever the deadline is to get another year control

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're gonna trade JT, but just going off the understanding that we dont trade him until the deadline:

C- JT

1b- Bour

2b- Castro

SS- rojas

3b- Anderson

LF- Dietrich

CF- Jon Jay

RF- Cooper

Bench- Telis, Prado, Riddle, Van Slyke, Lee

SP's- Conley, Urena, Straily, Chen, Nicolino/Despaigne

RP- Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Jarlin, Nicolino/Despaigne, Wittgren, Ziegler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C- Tomas Telis

1B- Justin Bour

2B- Starlin Castro

3B- Martin Prado

SS- JT Riddle

OF - Jon Jay, Dietrich, Rafael Ortega

Bench- Miguel Rojas, Garrett Cooper, Chad Wallach, Scott Van Slyke

Starting Pitchers- Dan Straily, Jose Urena, Adam Conley, Scott Feldman, Wei-Yen Chen

Bullpen- Brad Ziegler (Closer), Kyle Barraclough, Junichi Tazawa, Jarlin Garcia, Drew Steckenrider, Nick Wittgren, , Justin Nicolino, Jumbo Diaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

C- Tomas Telis

1B- Justin Bour

2B- Starlin Castro

3B- Martin Prado

SS- JT Riddle

OF - Jon Jay, Dietrich, Rafael Ortega

Bench- Miguel Rojas, Garrett Cooper, Chad Wallach, Scott Van Slyke

Starting Pitchers- Dan Straily, Jose Urena, Adam Conley, Scott Feldman, Wei-Yen Chen

Bullpen- Brad Ziegler (Closer), Kyle Barraclough, Junichi Tazawa, Jarlin Garcia, Drew Steckenrider, Nick Wittgren, , Justin Nicolino, Jumbo Diaz

Feldman would be interesting.  I think Chris Tillman would be a smart as hell low key rotation signing too.  I might even consider giving him a 2 year deal at the right price if the medicals check out. He's been a damn good pitcher the past 5 years aside from whatever the hell happened last year.

 

Also, I know it would be smart to keep all of those guys down for a month, and I think they will with the OF's, but im having a hard time seeing them keeping Anderson down to start the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fish20 said:

Feldman would be interesting.  I think Chris Tillman would be a smart as hell low key rotation signing too.  I might even consider giving him a 2 year deal at the right price if the medicals check out. He's been a damn good pitcher the past 5 years aside from whatever the hell happened last year.

 

Also, I know it would be smart to keep all of those guys down for a month, and I think they will with the OF's, but im having a hard time seeing them keeping Anderson down to start the year.

I don't disagree I just don't see them trading Prado though so where would anderson go? maybe Starlin in OF, Prado 2b, Anderson 3b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pollythewog said:

I don't disagree I just don't see them trading Prado though so where would anderson go? maybe Starlin in OF, Prado 2b, Anderson 3b

 

That's why i've been thinking they will trade someone before the year begins.  Because right now they have a logjam of mediocrity between 2b, 3b, and LF with Prado, Castro, Dietrich, and Anderson.  I guess the easy answer is to keep Anderson down until you get the extra year and that answers that, I just think its going to be hard to justify keeping every single guy down, and Anderson kind of proved last year that he's ML ready.  I see Prado kind of doing what he used to do for the braves as a super utility guy playing close to every day but just giving guys off days.(although now that i think of it i may be thinking of Omar Infante).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, our team is obviously not anything close to being good, but with the amount of veterans we have assuming we keep the guys until the deadline, aside from CF and RF that team isnt nearly the disaster people are making it out to be.

A potential lineup of

Jon Jay?, Prado, JT, Bour,  Castro, Dietrich, Cooper, Rojas/Riddle

Not good but its not close to what we were trotting out there in 2013.

And the rotation obviously isnt good, but if we dont trade anyone and sign a stopgap SP i think its also not nearly a disaster.  If Conley bounces back and Urena doesnt regress it could be decent.  Conley, Urena, Straily, Tillman/Feldman type, Chen for his annual 5 starts before putting off TJ surgery.

And the bullpen will actually be good.  Obviously it depends a lot on trades and when they occur and how much they put off bringing guys up till the service time deadlines, but i think theyll be closer to 70 wins than 60.  but im also a huge homer so who the fuck knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fish20 said:

I think we're gonna trade JT, but just going off the understanding that we dont trade him until the deadline:

C- JT

1b- Bour

2b- Castro

SS- rojas

3b- Anderson

LF- Dietrich

CF- Jon Jay

RF- Cooper

Bench- Telis, Prado, Riddle, Van Slyke, Lee

SP's- Conley, Urena, Straily, Chen, Nicolino/Despaigne

RP- Barraclough, Steckenrider, Tazawa, Jarlin, Nicolino/Despaigne, Wittgren, Ziegler

I think it's been said that they are going to carry 4 on the bench and 8 in the bullpen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.