Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet1929

Was Derek Jeter almost a Marlin in 1994?

Surprised this hasn't come up since Jeter took over the team because this has been brought up before, this is nothing new. For several years now there's been rumors, that have been backed up by a few people involved including Jeter himself, that say that the Yankees considered trading Jeter to the Marlins in 1994 so that they could get 1993 All Star closer Bryan Harvey in pinstripes. 

The following article is from 2003 and has Jeter himself talking about hearing the trade rumors and being nervous when he got a phone call from his Double A manager though it turned out the call was to promote him to Triple A and the Marlins trade never happened. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/trading-spaces-players-deal-deadline-moves-article-1.527433

Imagine that. Obviously many things would have changed but it's a bit of a fun fact especially with Jeter now being the Marlins CEO.

"Pack your bags," Evers told him. "I didn't know whether he meant for Florida or what," says Jeter. 

he would have been gone back to Yankees in 98

I remember reading this a few years back randomly, it sure seemed like he was ticketed for Florida. But yeah as @el_gmac said, it is unlikely that would have lasted for long.

When the Marlins had Mike Piazza for about a week in the 1998 season before trading him to the Mets, they called the Yankees and asked for Jorge Posada and then-third base prospect Mike Lowell.

hmmm...

Thank God that didn't happen. I like it when players spend their whole careers on one team.

43 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I like it when players spend their whole careers on one team.

Sadly something we're pretty much done seeing unless you count losers that literally never get a chance to play on a second team before their career is done. 

12 hours ago, el_gmac said:

he would have been gone back to Yankees in 98

That 's too long to Marlins,he would be traded before 1994's deadline…