Mish: Marlins owe it to the fans to upgrade the 2020 team

SilverBullet

At this point I just want the Marlins to stay the course of what they've started. Too often they've jumped the gun in the rebuild process spending on free agents that were in their price range e.g. Morse, Latos, Chen or disastrous trades Cashner, Haren.  Let's just go ahead and suck it up another year get the pieces in place from within and then add what you're lacking. I hate losing too, but after watching several of the farm teams this summer I think they might be on the right track for a change. 

Latos was a trade - DeSclafani and Wallach.

---

Morse was a low-end signing bounce back candidate.....I liked the signing at the time too, but he just couldn't put it together.

I didn't say 100 games 3 seasons in a row i said 300+ games in 3 seasons......sooo..if they lose 103 this year and 100 next year that would make 300+ games in 3 seasons.

They really do need to bring in a quality bat this offseason. Again, if only to show that they're not ok with losing 100 games 3 straight seasons.  With as much as they have coming off the books over the next two seasons they could even afford to significantly overpay on a couple dudes with shorter contracts just to make the team a teeny bit more watchable (not that fans know who's playing anyway).  Losing 300+ games in 3 seasons will not be a good look going into 2021. 

Just make progress. Obviously steps were taken back this year and the bullpen really flopped after the Romo trade. Where's Stanek's value to this team? Maybe we should actually try to stretch him out in Spring Training and make him a long reliever / spot starter. Not a fan or Urena coming back as a closer.

Areas need to be addressed and the Outfield and bullpen would be the biggest needs as stated in the Barry Jackson article.

Marlins supposedly said they were open to trying it out. Would have made a lot of sense to go forward with that. Now would actually be prefect to do it. Really seems like even next year they won't go forward with trying it out. Honestly you have Stanek and Chen. Perfect candidates to be openers. 

My grip with Mattingly or maybe this just a organizational thing is that they seem to be very traditional as to how a bullpen is structured. 

I get the opener strategy from a team perspective but I don't see why any one reliever would be better for three innings to open a game vs one inning at the end of the game.

I can see why a starter like say Urena would be better being limited to three innings instead of 6 or 7 but for a reliever to only be good as an opener makes no sense so why does Stanek suck for one inning but is apparently good for three? 

So saying the Marlins should be using Stanek as an opener doesnt explain why he's sucked as a late inning reliever thus far. 

So saying the Marlins should be using Stanek as an opener doesnt explain why he's sucked as a late inning reliever thus far. 

No, it doesn't, but the numbers are all there for you to look at. He's terrible late in games but great to open.

As an opener, his OPSa is .568. As a reliever, .868. Perhaps it's the amount of time he's given to warm up before an Opening as opposed to when he comes in as a reliever.

No, it doesn't, but the numbers are all there for you to look at. He's terrible late in games but great to open.

As an opener, his OPSa is .568. As a reliever, .868. Perhaps it's the amount of time he's given to warm up before an Opening as opposed to when he comes in as a reliever.

That warming up thing might be the answer because besides that Stanek is still throwing the same baseball off the same mound to the same catcher at the same home plate whether it's the first inning or the eighth. He should still be getting outs. 

That warming up thing might be the answer because besides that Stanek is still throwing the same baseball off the same mound to the same catcher at the same home plate whether it's the first inning or the eighth. He should still be getting outs. 

This has been an issue for other pitchers in the past when switching between starter and reliever. They warm up differently and sometimes produce different results. It’s tough to have exactly the same routine as a reliever though since you don’t know for sure when you’ll be pitching.  

• Like 1