Mish: Marlins owe it to the fans to upgrade the 2020 team

[MEDIA=twitter]1174484776637648897[/MEDIA]

I like how he isn't saying they need to go get the top free agents but that there needs to be a real effort to improve the record in 2020 and that another 100 loss season would really diminish the hopes of the fans that have stuck around thus far. Basically saying that they need to show that they're finally moving forward and not backwards. The entire thread is worth a read.

A dream goal is sign Rendon and/or Cole, but I doubt either happens.  That said, I would like to see them sign someone for the right price that can be a component of the new core that does make that push forward.  It may only mean a slight improvement next year, but someone that becomes a key contributor thereafter.

He mentioned Abreu and Markakis........THOSE are the guys he claims are going to show things are different here, move next year forward, and aren't old veterans?  Lol.  No thanks.

Mish knows the plan.  To push for some window dressing signings in 2020 just so losses are only 90 instead of 100 means nothing. I mean really, Mish, maybe we can get Cashner back, Rodney is still around but I think the Latos/Straily trains has left.  These are the deals that killed us.  Give the rebuild the time.  I don't know about next year, but expect to see the transition start showing fruit in 2021.

Mish knows the plan.  To push for some window dressing signings in 2020 just so losses are only 90 instead of 100 means nothing. I mean really, Mish, maybe we can get Cashner back, Rodney is still around but I think the Latos/Straily trains has left.  These are the deals that killed us.  Give the rebuild the time.  I don't know about next year, but expect to see the transition start showing fruit in 2021.

I don't think he meant meaningless over-the-hill signings such as Granderson was this year. I think he meant moves that can legitimately start increasing the win total in preparation for 2021... players that can actually stick around and contribute for a few years. In a sense it's like their thinking with Rojas.

You don't want to lose 100 games in 2020 and then have to convince the fans that we're gonna contend in 2021.

It might not seem like much to us but being in the 80 loss range going into 2021 would look a lot better to the general fanbase than another 95+ loss season.

If the target is 2021 you wanna be able to say "Hey we gained a dozen more wins in 2020, now we're moving up, get ready for 2021"

If not, you'll have the fanbase going "lol how can we contend next year if we just lost 100 games again!!!??"

It might not seem like much to us but being in the 80 loss range going into 2021 would look a lot better to the general fanbase than another 95+ loss season.

If the target is 2021 you wanna be able to say "Hey we gained a dozen more wins in 2020, now we're moving up, get ready for 2021"

If not, you'll have the fanbase going "lol how can we contend next year if we just lost 100 games again!!!??"

I don't disagree.  But don't throw money to guys that don't deserve it just because.

lol.   I stand by my opinion that it looked like a good signing at the time, even if it was expensive.  His numbers in Baltimore/the AL were fairly good for years - theoretically those numbers should've been maintained or even a bit better.  Obviously that train flew off the rails immediately, though.

Chen was a good signing at the time considering where he pitched and his numbers. Bell was an idiotic signing.

They really do need to bring in a quality bat this offseason. Again, if only to show that they're not ok with losing 100 games 3 straight seasons.  With as much as they have coming off the books over the next two seasons they could even afford to significantly overpay on a couple dudes with shorter contracts just to make the team a teeny bit more watchable (not that fans know who's playing anyway).  Losing 300+ games in 3 seasons will not be a good look going into 2021. 

At this point I just want the Marlins to stay the course of what they've started. Too often they've jumped the gun in the rebuild process spending on free agents that were in their price range e.g. Morse, Latos, Chen or disastrous trades Cashner, Haren.  Let's just go ahead and suck it up another year get the pieces in place from within and then add what you're lacking. I hate losing too, but after watching several of the farm teams this summer I think they might be on the right track for a change. 

but after watching several of the farm teams this summer I think they might be on the right track for a change. 

I agree with this but I think it would really help the perception of the rebuild to the fanbase if we can improve the on field MLB product in 2020. It would show "the right track" more clearly.

Chen was a good signing at the time considering where he pitched and his numbers. Bell was an idiotic signing.

They really do need to bring in a quality bat this offseason. Again, if only to show that they're not ok with losing 100 games 3 straight seasons.  With as much as they have coming off the books over the next two seasons they could even afford to significantly overpay on a couple dudes with shorter contracts just to make the team a teeny bit more watchable (not that fans know who's playing anyway).  Losing 300+ games in 3 seasons will not be a good look going into 2021. 

Even if they lost over 100 next year it would not be 3 straight. They lost 98 last year.