Mattingly Extended

HanleyDavidson

Uh. ... ok then.

Get someone else to manage the pitching decisions and I'll be OK with this.

This is fair too.

I mean... Don Mattingly isn't the worst manger in the world but it sure feels like we could have several more wins if he wasn't making the on field decisions.

With that said... has Donnie done a great job with leading the clubhouse through down times? Has Donnie gotten guys to play hard even though two almost 100 loss seasons? Definitely yes to those two. 

I just cant stop thinking how ballsy this move is. It's almost never that a rebuilding team sticks with the same manager from start to (hopeful) finish... it also goes against the grain for the Marlins as an organization. 

Also, remember when asked if Donnie was sticking around and Jeter was like "he's still under contract right?" Such a different tone set with this move. 

Uh. ... ok then.

I'm personally on board with his bullpen management. Every fan base thinks their manager (especially this year) is terrible at bullpen management. But frankly, Donnie's decisions this year and last are all defendable in my book.

I know that's not the Cool Guy opinion to have, but frankly there were times where his only options were all bad options, and that just happens with rebuilding bullpens. 

Uh. ... ok then.

But I always think it's not all on the manager, if the bullpen is good then the outcome would always be good no matter who you put in the mound, but if the bullpen suck then the outcome would be always bad no matter who you put in the mound…

I'm personally on board with his bullpen management. Every fan base thinks their manager (especially this year) is terrible at bullpen management. But frankly, Donnie's decisions this year and last are all defendable in my book.

I know that's not the Cool Guy opinion to have, but frankly there were times where his only options were all bad options, and that just happens with rebuilding bullpens. 

spacer.png

This also means the front office didn't think any of the available managerial candidates were any better than Donnie.

Probably. I expected Jeter would choose young, tame and unknown(definitely cheap to add) person in this industry, like Twins' Rocco Baldelli. 

But It seems not to work well. 

49 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

[MEDIA=twitter]1174881019599740933[/MEDIA]

This is a dumb take by Mish.  No manager was going to change this team from a 100 loss team or last year’s from a 98 loss team. Don makes some bad decisions but with a shit roster to work with, his job wasn’t to win games really. It was to help mold a young roster into a winning one. It was to keep a good clubhouse. It was to keep guys fighting and clawing even in the dog days of summer.  The clubhouse seems to love him and they do try and win even while having one of the worst records in baseball. Their failure to win isn’t on him. I would say he did a good job based on what was expected of him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.