Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Marlins to honor Jose in some fashion

This is excellent... not just because they are doing "something" for Jose but because I trust Jeter to honor him better and in a more appropriate way than Loria would have.

Jeter, as an outsider with no emotional attachment to Jose, will honor him but will be more sensitive to the drug and alcohol issue, the death of the other two people, and the fact that Jose "was just here for a few seasons."

Can't wait to see what this finally becomes. 

1 minute ago, el penguino said:

I hope they do something, but scrap the statue idea.

I imagine it'll be a smaller honor yes. I think the number retirement and statue are ideas of the past.

1 minute ago, Bald Eagle said:

I imagine it'll be a smaller honor yes. I think the number retirement and statue are ideas of the past.

Hopefully that's the case. Jeter does seem more level headed and reasonable than Loria/Samson were when it comes to this type of thing.

If they're not gonna retire 16 I could see the number being taken out of circulation for a period of time. It would be odd to see someone wearing it any time in the next couple of seasons. 

15 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

If they're not gonna retire 16 I could see the number being taken out of circulation for a period of time. It would be odd to see someone wearing it any time in the next couple of seasons. 

More than that, do you think anyone would really want that number any time soon?

I think a plaque somewhere in the stadium sounds about right. It's a tricky situation for Jeter. Do nothing or too little and he's cold and Marlins don't care. Do too much and you think he might be overcompensating for something and irk the people upset about the death of 2 others and DUI situation, etc.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Leo said:

More than that, do you think anyone would really want that number any time soon?

I'd say no but you never know about some player who loved Jose and wants to wear it to honor him. But even in that situation it'd be too soon for that. 

You do something small like a little plaque outside the stadium or something.  A statue and a number retirement would be horrible for quite a few reasons.

Discussions regarding how to honor pitcher Jose Fernandez are ongoing. He and two other men died in a boat accident in 2016, and an investigation determined Fernandez was the probable driver, with drugs and alcohol factors in the crash. "It's a tricky situation because there are other people who lost their lives," Jeter said. "But we're in constant communication with Jose's family, and we will honor Jose and what he has meant to this organization in the near-term future."

ESPN