Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet1929

Will attendance be better than last year?

22 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Why the attendance of a rebuilding season would be better than a win-now mode season !?

Because attendance was so bad last year. A couple of near sell outs for the Yankees and Red Sox games might actually put the total attendance higher than last years as sad as that is. 

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

The idea is a one year deal so they can be spun at the deadline to a contender if they work out. Also allows us to keep some service clocks from starting.

I understand about the service clocks. But why not just play someone like Austin Dean or Scott Van Slyke? Why the stopgap - I mean, if y'all don't care if we win 55 or 65 or 75, why bother spending the money at all - just use it to pay down the club debt. Under what  circumstance would Jon Jay or Melky Cabrera net us a prospect worth anything in July?

4 hours ago, bmg42 said:

I understand about the service clocks. But why not just play someone like Austin Dean or Scott Van Slyke? Why the stopgap - I mean, if y'all don't care if we win 55 or 65 or 75, why bother spending the money at all - just use it to pay down the club debt. Under what  circumstance would Jon Jay or Melky Cabrera net us a prospect worth anything in July?

I understand your rationale, but its about both the potential to flip the established but not great major leaguer we would potentially sign at the deadline for whatever we could get as well as forming an actual major league roster, even if they will still be bad.  Austin Dean stinks and Scott Van slyke has potential as a nice minor league signing but he shouldnt be starting every day.

4 hours ago, fish20 said:

I understand your rationale, but its about both the potential to flip the established but not great major leaguer we would potentially sign at the deadline for whatever we could get as well as forming an actual major league roster, even if they will still be bad.  Austin Dean stinks and Scott Van slyke has potential as a nice minor league signing but he shouldnt be starting every day.

Cabrera was pretty bad last year - .748 OPS with 17 HR in 620 AB - just brutal for a corner OF in 2017. Jon Jay's OPS was .746, though Jay can play CF with relative competence. Look, if we're talking service clocks, then we're talking 2 months. Jay made 8 million last year an Cabrera made 15 million last year. Guys like that often retire rather than take a pennies-on-the-dollar deal. So let's say we drive a hard bargain and pay one of these guys 5 million on a one-year deal for a guy to basically play 2 months until Sierra or Brinson is called up. What's the point of that? Is any fan going to say, "Hey, we just signed Jon Jay - this team is really trying to win!" And is any team going to say, "We're a contender, and our CF just got hurt - we have to get Jon Jay!" Jay gets bonus points for being a Cane, but seriously, this whole idea is just dumb. 

They aren’t trying to appease fans with the signings.  These are the type of guys who believe they can resurrect their career, they would absolutely take a one year deal at low cost if it’s all they could find. It would be a chance to play every day and potentially earn a better contract elsewhere next year. This isn’t unprecedented. If they perform, we get a prospect at the deadline. If they don’t, hey didn’t cost much anyway.

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

They aren’t trying to appease fans with the signings.

As true as this is you'd be shocked how many of the casual fans would see a Melky Cabrera signing and say "oh finally the Marlins are adding good players!" I know one for sure.

Also, I spoke to someone who said to me the other day, "How can they have started spring training if they still haven't signed any players to replace the ones they traded away?" It's like people don't realize there's 68 players in camp, like if the 9 starting players from last season were the only guys on the team.