Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Marlins practicing analytics?

So to elaborate on this... they're considering swapping Maybin and Dietrich at times depending on the handedness of the batter, sometimes even in the same inning, to improve their defensive chances. Basically putting Maybin, the better defender, in the position that the batter is most likely to hit to.

This is interesting, if not weird. Definitely a drastic change for the Marlins if this gets done. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So to elaborate on this... they're considering swapping Maybin and Dietrich at times depending on the handedness of the batter, sometimes even in the same inning, to improve their defensive chances. Basically putting Maybin, the better defender, in the position that the batter is most likely to hit to.

This is interesting, if not weird. Definitely a drastic change for the Marlins if this gets done. 

That's interesting as hell and honestly smart and something i hadnt thought of.  Is Maybin that good of a defender still in this point in his career?  Dietrich isnt terrible in LF.

The Phillies are doing this with Hoskins and I want to say Altherr but not 100% sure.

Just now, marlinsmaniac said:

I’m sure this would be a nightmare from a scorekeepers perspective, but it sounds good otherwise  

Dietrich LF-RF-LF-RF-LF-RF-Fuck it

2 hours ago, fish20 said:

That's interesting as hell and honestly smart and something i hadnt thought of.  Is Maybin that good of a defender still in this point in his career?  Dietrich isnt terrible in LF.

According to Mattingly it's not that Dietrich is terrible or that Maybin is so amazing but moreso that "there is a difference between the two." If it's an analytical thing (which it is) then maybe they really think the difference is worth making the moves for even if the difference is slight. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

According to Mattingly it's not that Dietrich is terrible or that Maybin is so amazing but moreso that "there is a difference between the two." If it's an analytical thing (which it is) then maybe they really think the difference is worth making the moves for even if the difference is slight. 

I agree with the thinking, just didnt think Maybin was all that special defensively and that dietrich was decent enough.