Big trade possibilities

97marlin

There is a rumor going around saying that Kris Bryant/Mookie Betts/Francisco Lindor, all or some of these players might be moved over the off season.

I know it won't happen, but it's the off-season. There isn't a lot going on. Let's indulge in some fantasy

What would you be willing to give up for any (or all) of these players. There is no sure thing that any of these guys will sign long term post deal, so keep that in mind.

I was thinking Smith, Neidart, and Harrison for Bryant. He is FA in 2022

Honestly I'd probably include diaz instead of Harrison for Lindor. Also 2022

Mookie Betts Probably Harrison, Guzman, Castano. He is a free agent in 2021

Thinking about it I bet there are the pieces in the organization to get all three. How much would it take to sign them all long term?

• Like 1

Unless you're able to work out some sort of extension with them as a condition of the trade, I'd have a hard time giving up too much in the way of assets for guys that are free agents at the end of the year (or year after). Obviously Bryant and Lindor have an extra year of control, so I'd be more open to that, though that also means they'll cost more. It just seems like a waste of resources to acquire guys like this in lost seasons without an extension.

Unless you're able to work out some sort of extension with them as a condition of the trade, I'd have a hard time giving up too much in the way of assets for guys that are free agents at the end of the year (or year after). Obviously Bryant and Lindor have an extra year of control, so I'd be more open to that, though that also means they'll cost more. It just seems like a waste of resources to acquire guys like this in lost seasons without an extension.

This. If you can sign any of them for 7-10 years and get a negotiation period. Sure. I'd trade a shitload to get Lindor or Mookie just to pay them $325 million. The juice is worth the squeeze for a top 10 player in their prime.

• Like 1

There is a rumor going around saying that Kris Bryant/Mookie Betts/Francisco Lindor, all or some of these players might be moved over the off season.

I know it won't happen, but it's the off-season. There isn't a lot going on. Let's indulge in some fantasy

What would you be willing to give up for any (or all) of these players. There is no sure thing that any of these guys will sign long term post deal, so keep that in mind.

Thinking about it I bet there are the pieces in the organization to get all three. How much would it take to sign them all long term?

I doubt that package even gets the conversation started. Those are some of the best players in baseball, period. The conversation probably *starts* with Sixto Sanchez. If you tried a guy like Mookie, you MUST get the other team’s top prospect at a minimum.

How about we just stick to the rebuild since we've already restocked the system, have another high draft pick in June and have already sacrificed two brutal seasons to it? Changing the plan now would be a Loria type move. Short term FA is my preferred route.

• Like 6

This. If you can sign any of them for 7-10 years and get a negotiation period. Sure. I'd trade a shitload to get Lindor or Mookie just to pay them $325 million. The juice is worth the squeeze for a top 10 player in their prime.

If you're closer to contention and one of those guys is the piece that pushes you over the top, that's a different story. But as we are now, it's stupid, IMO.

I do suppose there would be the possibility of trading Betts/Lindor before the deadline if they indicate an extension wouldn't happen, so you'd get some pieces back to offset what you gave away to get him, but that winds up being a lateral move unless you're able to get someone to drastically overpay (which a top guy like that you might be able to get someone to overpay for).

• Like 1

I doubt that package even gets the conversation started. Those are some of the best players in baseball, period. The conversation probably *starts* with Sixto Sanchez. If you tried a guy like Mookie, you MUST get the other team’s top prospect at a minimum.

Honestly I doubt that. I think the discussion starts with a top 100 prospect. Maybe even 2. But I think it's reasonable to acquire all three without giving up Sixto/Chisholm/Jesus/Lewin.

Caleb Smith might be worth one of those guys on his own, much less with an additional piece. High upside plus repertoire starter. 4 years team control. Front of the rotation upside. Middle of the rotation floor for 2 years of a player. Not 6 not 4, 2.

Isan Diaz dominated triple A, and has high upside potential. Harrison high upside as well, not so much great triple a results. Both are young enough to improve. Both have a solid floor. Pair them with other high upside pieces you are talking about a similar return as a lot of other trades for this type of player. Neidart is another piece that has a low floor.

I think you are over valuing them. Plus, I want these guys because it will make baseball better now without hurting the organization considerably (depending on the price) in the long run. If none of them sign you just got three first round draft picks. I think you trade for exactly what those two years (or one year) is worth. Try to sign them but don't make any assumptions. And get a draft pick plus help the communities outlook of the team plus you indoctrinate the young guys in a winning culture.

Honestly I doubt that. I think the discussion starts with a top 100 prospect. Maybe even 2. But I think it's reasonable to acquire all three without giving up Sixto/Chisholm/Jesus/Lewin.

Caleb Smith might be worth one of those guys on his own, much less with an additional piece. High upside plus repertoire starter. 4 years team control. Front of the rotation upside. Middle of the rotation floor for 2 years of a player. Not 6 not 4, 2.

Isan Diaz dominated triple A, and has high upside potential. Harrison high upside as well, not so much great triple a results. Both are young enough to improve. Both have a solid floor. Pair them with other high upside pieces you are talking about a similar return as a lot of other trades for this type of player. Neidart is another piece that has a low floor.

I think you are over valuing them. Plus, I want these guys because it will make baseball better now without hurting the organization considerably (depending on the price) in the long run. If none of them sign you just got three first round draft picks. I think you trade for exactly what those two years (or one year) is worth. Try to sign them but don't make any assumptions. And get a draft pick plus help the communities outlook of the team plus you indoctrinate the young guys in a winning culture.

Sorry but no.

Lindor, Betts, Bryant are proven MLB stars that have established their worth over the past 3-4 years.

Isan Diaz, Caleb Smith or even Neidert were not top prospects. Marlins did a good job on evaluating talent and picking them up in trades but that was it. Smith has yet to put together a full season. He had a good first half but fell apart in the 2nd half. He would have to prove he is healthy and have a good 2020 season for his value to rise up again and even then him alone doesn't keep a rival GM on the phone.

Any trade is gonna start with Bleday and Sixto for any one of these guys. I would pass on this honestly.

• Like 1

Sorry but no.

Lindor, Betts, Bryant are proven MLB stars that have established their worth over the past 3-4 years.

Isan Diaz, Caleb Smith or even Neidert were not top prospects. Marlins did a good job on evaluating talent and picking them up in trades but that was it. Smith has yet to put together a full season. He had a good first half but fell apart in the 2nd half. He would have to prove he is healthy and have a good 2020 season for his value to rise up again and even then him alone doesn't keep a rival GM on the phone.

Any trade is gonna start with Bleday and Sixto for any one of these guys. I would pass on this honestly.

I don't think it would for Betts without an extension. 1 year of control isn't valued that great even for an amazing player. Mookie for 8 years, even if paying him a ridiculous sum, would open things up a bit. It's all based on surplus value. If Betts is a 7 WAR player and is being paid $30+ million, he's worth something like $35-40 million in prospects. FV60 guys are going to blow that away (https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/). I'm sure the Marlins value their top guys there. I don't think they are necessarily wrong either even if Fangraphs thinks they are all borderline FV60/FV55 guys.

Monte and absorbing Rusney Castillo's salary should be enough for Betts with no extension, and throwing them in say Stanek and Conley and/or IFA money would be a nice kicker for them.

Get a negotiation window and sign Mookie though for at least 5 years (I assume he'd get an opt out).... I'd have no problem adding Caleb, Devers/Nunez, and Osiris/Jerar and all of a sudden that becomes a pretty massive haul for them of getting 5 guys and shedding Castillo.

And the Marlins get Mookie so all is right in the world. We can dream.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Both. Have been able to watch him closely the last few years and think there is a higher level than what we've seen. Kid is a stud.. total class. Would be the face of our franchise

I mean Bryant is awesome, but I'd rather trade for Rizzo. He will be cheaper in players (say Bleday/Sanchez, Lewin, and Fitterer should do it) and an extension. Likewise, he's from Coral Springs so he's the hometown kid.

Alfaro, Whoever

Rizzo, Cooper/Aguilar

Isan

Jazz, Berti

Villar

Bleday/Sanchez

Monte, Sierra, _______

Anderson

Get another OF and that team is business.

Or, trade for a right handed CF as that makes the most sense.

I wouldn't complain to get Bryant though.

• Like 1