• Register for full access

Registration is quick, free and easy. Once you are registered, this box will disappear and you'll have a full selection of options available to you. Sign up today and join the fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Entendu

Brinson makes opening day roster

6 hours ago, bmg42 said:

Brinson’s 24 in May. It’s not like he’s a 20-year-old kid like Acuna. Bryant was 23 when the Cubs made him start the year in AAA but it was only 12 days and not 3 months. Keeping Brinson down now stunts his growth as a player. Either he’s going to have a long-term-contract by ‘19 or ‘20, or nobody’s going to care about him by the time service time becomes a concern. And if jt’s option 3, in which he’s an All-Star-caliber player who we refuse to pay, well, that would be a different reason not to care...

Im not sure why you dont understand we're talking about the team control deadline and not the super 2 deadline so it would only be a month or so and not 3 months.  This point has been brought to your attention at least 5 different times now and you continue to ignore it.  

This is a stupid move but whatever theres nothing we can do.  Maybe he has a big year and we sign him to a preemptive extension anyways and makes this point moot.  

26 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

"Uh"

i agree with you that its stupid but its not the end of the world.  theres also the possibility given his lack of plate discipline that he struggles and goes down for a month or so anyway.  That's the only part of his game that im concerned about.  His future OPS potential to me is limited unless he can fix his K/BB ratio.  Too many K's and not nearly enough BB's, but hopefully he can improve.

18 hours ago, fish20 said:

Im not sure why you dont understand we're talking about the team control deadline and not the super 2 deadline so it would only be a month or so and not 3 months.  This point has been brought to your attention at least 5 different times now and you continue to ignore it.  

This is a stupid move but whatever theres nothing we can do.  Maybe he has a big year and we sign him to a preemptive extension anyways and makes this point moot.  

I do understand this. But again, at this point any time in the minors for a kid his age is dumb. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it any less dumb. I'm not even talking about arbitration. If we're still worrying about whether the team has control over him at age 30 - which would mean that we have not given him a long-term deal by then - then he's not good enough for this to matter. I'm not sure why you don't understand that losing an average-to-below-average guy who's pushing 30 won't make anyone sadder if we lose him to 6-year free agency rather than an average-to-below-average guy who's pushing 31. The trend is toward locking kids up early. Brinson wants to stay here long term.

TL;DR: Either Brinson is good enough that he gets a decent-sized long term deal by 2020, or who cares?

16 minutes ago, bmg42 said:

The trend is toward locking kids up early. Brinson wants to stay here long term.

I could see this happening a lot more especially with the past couple of signings with the Diamondbacks and Phillies but the reasoning of keeping him down a month or so still makes sense. He had a good Spring but I am not sold on him right now. I think a month in the minors would have done him some good. Yeah Brinson wants to play down here and it's a his dream scenario but he still has to perform to warrant any contract. Teams like the Phillies and Diamondbacks can make those gambles and not have them affect them, we can't. We gotta clear out bad contracts. He hasn't done anything to warrant that contract.

As excited as I am to see him up with the Marlins right now I rather he play in the minors for a bit. 

Yelich had a really good spring in 2013, and he was pretty much trying to play himself on the team. Marlins made the right choice and held him down for more minor league season. Turned out to be the right choice.

44 minutes ago, bmg42 said:

I do understand this. But again, at this point any time in the minors for a kid his age is dumb. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it any less dumb. I'm not even talking about arbitration. If we're still worrying about whether the team has control over him at age 30 - which would mean that we have not given him a long-term deal by then - then he's not good enough for this to matter. I'm not sure why you don't understand that losing an average-to-below-average guy who's pushing 30 won't make anyone sadder if we lose him to 6-year free agency rather than an average-to-below-average guy who's pushing 31. The trend is toward locking kids up early. Brinson wants to stay here long term.

TL;DR: Either Brinson is good enough that he gets a decent-sized long term deal by 2020, or who cares?

How can you say keeping him in the minors for a month to start the year in a season where we wont win anyways is dumb if it gets us an entire year more of team control in his prime.  your entire premise is based on the opinion that we will sign him to an extension before that if he is good anyways, and it takes two sides to do that, not to mention we lose bargaining power in a long term contract discussion if he has one less year of team control.  

You cant make a guy sign an extension, and some agents flatly advise their players never to do that before they get to free agency, see Scott Boras.  We're just giving up a possible star's additional year of team control instead of keeping him down for a month, which is stupid.  

Sure he might want to stay here long term given that he's from here, but you never know, and youre basing your opinion entirely on him definitely signing a long term extension before his free agency gets here anyways, which is not a sure thing in the slightest. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bmg42 said:

That decent-sized long-term deal will also factor in how much time he has left until free agency. It could cost us an extra year at an affordable rate, because now that he enters free agency a year earlier he has added leverage.

• Like 2

I think this is an OK move. I get why it makes sense to keep him down for a month. 

But I think having him on the operning day roster is a PR move as well, and the franchise needs that. It sends a message that things are different now, they are not just about saving money, etc. 

It's small for now. But a few moves like this might start improving the way the franchise is perceived. 

Teams are locking their players up early. The Braves are talking with Acuna already. The Phillies locked up Kingery. If Brinson performs, he’ll have a deal long before the Marlins are good again.

1 minute ago, bmg42 said:

Teams are locking their players up early. The Braves are talking with Acuna already. The Phillies locked up Kingery. If Brinson performs, he’ll have a deal long before the Marlins are good again.

You're missing the point. Acuna will have a more affordable long term deal since he will have an extra year before free agency due to how he is being handled. The Marlins handed Brinson leverage in the talks.

• Like 2