Yasiel Puig?

None of these guys deserve a long-term deal.

So if that’s them being cheap, good for them. It beats giving Wei-Yin Chen 5 years to say we spent money.

They didn't really go after Castellanos or Ozuna either. I am not saying they should give Puig or Dickerson a 5 year deal but them being cheap with others and blaming prospects or draft picks shows how they are to me. We are left with only these players as options due to them writing off most of the market immediately.

But if some fans want to keep their heads in the sand, that's cool. Lets just never hand out a real contract in free agency again because it may go wrong.

• Like 2

If they didn't make it seem like they would spend this offseason and still did these same additions (Aguilar Villar Cervelli and one more OF plus a reliever or two) then I think we'd feel a lot better going into 2020 compared to 2019. The part about spending and names like Castellanos and Ozuna potentially being targets makes everything else seem underwhelming.

• Like 1

They didn't really go after Castellanos or Ozuna either. I am not saying they should give Puig or Dickerson a 5 year deal but them being cheap with others and blaming prospects or draft picks shows how they are to me. We are left with only these players as options due to them writing off most of the market immediately.

But if some fans want to keep their heads in the sand, that's cool. Lets just never hand out a real contract in free agency again because it may go wrong.

Castellanos and Ozuna aren’t worth it either in my opinion. I think I’d rather have Puig.

White Sox are closer to contending than us, especially if they add Puig, so if it really came between them and the Marlins I think we would have to overpay to have any chance. Not sure that's in our best interests either.

Offering only 1 year hurts their chances too. Not saying they necessarily should offer more than 1 year to him, but he's likely to get a 2 year deal elsewhere (possibly as an option on second year). They put all their eggs in the Puig basket this off-season it appears though, so not sure where they go from here. I would think Dickerson could also find a 2 year deal somewhere.

not sure where they go from here

As much I would love a free agent OF signing if they can't get Puig or Dickerson I think I would rather they stop looking at free agents after that. Those two guys are upgrades but is anyone after them really any better? At that point might as well let all the outfield prospects and in betweeners like Brinson Ramirez Sierra and Berti battle it out.

If they had taken real swings and missed on some free agents, it'd be one thing. Nobody should want them to grossly overpay for anyone. But that hasn't been the case. They've likely refused to even offer fair market value so far. So if they get "beaten out" for Puig, it'll probably be more of the same.