Marlins Sign Francisco Cervelli

Someone explain why this is a better move than Holaday behind the plate. I don’t know much about either so what’s the advantage?

In just over 100 PA, Holaday somehow managed to accumulate almost -5 runs in defensive value, good for 9th worst in the league.

PROOF:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=100&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=20,a

I actually like Holaday, but Cervelli, a solid hitter and one of the better defensive catchers in the last 10 years, is an obvious and enormous upgrade. Maybe Holaday comes back on a MiL deal again, but he's very much a replacement level guy. Not an upgrade to even Chad Wallach.

• Like 3

A thought on Holaday, he was fine here but was already here for a few seasons and always as a non roster invite having to earn his role... maybe he wanted to explore other opportunities and turned down any interest the Marlins had in him? Just a thought because often we see these role player guys trying to latch on to better opportunities for themselves even though to us they seem like they're just jumping team to team.

In just over 100 PA, Holaday somehow managed to accumulate almost -5 runs in defensive value, good for 9th worst in the league.

PROOF:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=100&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2019-12-31&sort=20,a

I actually like Holaday, but Cervelli, a solid hitter and one of the better defensive catchers in the last 10 years, is an obvious and enormous upgrade. Maybe Holaday comes back on a MiL deal again, but he's very much a replacement level guy. Not an upgrade to even Chad Wallach.

Good post, thanks for looking that up.

Maybe the Marlins just didn't want to give Holaday a guaranteed deal.

Reminder that @Das Texan was an Astros fan before he was a Marlins fan, developing treacherous behavior from a young age.

Reminder that Das Texan's wife, a Cardinals fan, made him stop being a Marlins fan because their MLB.TV subscription was getting too expensive.

Uhhh.... MLB.tv is the same price no matter what team you follow or even if you follow many teams. Just FYI.

And nobody made me stop being anything. The Marlins fire sale to kick off this decade decided things for me.

Uhhh.... MLB.tv is the same price no matter what team you follow or even if you follow many teams. Just FYI.

And nobody made me stop being anything. The Marlins fire sale to kick off this decade decided things for me.

Thanks. I wouldn't know because I've been a fan of my local team my whole life.

• Like 2

The Marlins fire sale to kick off this decade decided things for me.

If I stopped being a fan of something I would cut it out of my life entirely... not continue to participate in it just for the sake of trolling.

And on top of that, your reason for hating the team, Loria, is long gone yet you continue to stick around to bitch when the specific problem for you is long gone.

• Like 1

If I stopped being a fan of something I would cut it out of my life entirely... not continue to participate in it just for the sake of trolling.

And on top of that, your reason for hating the team, Loria, is long gone yet you continue to stick around to bitch when the specific problem for you is long gone.

Well the new ownership acts just like the old ownership in respect to payroll and all...

Well the new ownership acts just like the old ownership in respect to payroll and all...

The new group made the moves that were sensible at the time. They were not going to go to the playoffs even if they signed the 2 best starters available (Arrieta and Darvish). However, there were enough big differences in the way the new group handled it to tell that it is not a "same shit, different day" scenario. Instead of pairing talent with bad contracts, they ended up eating Chen's, Prado's, and Tanaka's money. They have put a whole lot more money into drafts and IFA signings. And when they traded guys at the beginning they traded them separately to not dilute the talent in only a couple of deals, like Loria did with the Toronto deal in 2012.

I know it was upsetting at the time, but the only people who think they are acting the same as the old ownership are the ones who have ignored the finer details of it all.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

[MEDIA=twitter]1216737209866473475[/MEDIA]

Still have no idea why this team didn't keep him.

For whatever reason, they thought Cervelli was an upgrade over Holaday and that's the direction they went.

Didn't you want this team to go out and get like all the available free agents? If anyone should be ecstatic that they instead went for a free agent on an mlb contract to be the backup catcher it should be you.

• Like 2