Updated Fangraphs prospect rankings

DTrain

It is interesting VV Mesa still has a 2020 ETA when he had an awful 2019. I would imagine he returns to AA to begin 2020 so unless he goes off big time, it seems unlikely he is in MLB in 2020. MAYBE for a cup of coffee, but that still doesn't seem likely without a big improvement.

So the top prospect Chisholm that's in AA now has a 2022 ETA?!? Also Sixto, Cabrera, Jesus Sanchez, Harrison, Neidert, Guzman, Vesia, Holloway, Dugger, Sharp, Miller, Mejia and VVM are all arriving in 2020, that's a lot of roster moves.

That's 8 pitchers and 4 outfielders. Definitely shows some of the rationale behind trading Gallen (praise be) and not showing huge interest in these multi-year outfielders out there. The young fellas are going to be ready soon, and if there's nowhere to play them, how do you know what you've got?

It is interesting VV Mesa still has a 2020 ETA when he had an awful 2019. I would imagine he returns to AA to begin 2020 so unless he goes off big time, it seems unlikely he is in MLB in 2020. MAYBE for a cup of coffee, but that still doesn't seem likely without a big improvement.

Given their impending 40 man crunch (which is a moderate issue of protecting all the pitchers), I highly doubt guys like VVM, Vesia, and bigger ticket items like Bleday, get on the 40 man roster bumping someone else off. VVM is definitely a 2021 player. It's an oversight, unless they think he's a second half call up for defense only. I don't see it.

So the top prospect Chisholm that's in AA now has a 2022 ETA?!? Also Sixto, Cabrera, Jesus Sanchez, Harrison, Neidert, Guzman, Vesia, Holloway, Dugger, Sharp, Miller, Mejia and VVM are all arriving in 2020, that's a lot of roster moves.

11 of those guys (including Jazz) are actually on the 40 man, and 2 of them they don't need to protect (Vesia, VVM) for another year. Which leaves Miller as a fringe protection next year.

They won't have to make too many moves. An internal 2021 opening day 40 man could be something like this:

Alfaro, TBD backup

Lewin, Aguilar, Cooper

Isan, Berti

Rojas, Jazz, Devers

Anderson

Ramirez, Brinson

Monte, Sierra, Miller

Sanchez, Dean, Jerar

=19

Sandy, Sixto, Cabrera, Pablo, Caleb, Neidert, Rogers, Garrett, Yamamoto, Mejia (10)

Stanek, Steckenrider, Sharp, Brigham, Dugger, Guzman, Roberson, Hernandez, Holloway (9)

Garcia, Quijada (2)

=21

It's really a full deck as you can say nice things about everyone there, but Aguilar/Cooper are redundant, the odds that all of Ramirez/Brinson/Sierra/Miller/Dean/Jerar work out are slim to none, and there is at least 2-3 pitching trades above. Other protection hopefuls (Soriano, Stewart again) could bump someone.

If they pull off another deadline miracle and get another Jazz, Lewin, and Sanchez to add, then this might get dicey with some drops, but they are in good shape right now to "keep everyone" and see what happens.

I'd still sign a right handed bat right now, and then start shopping outfielders.

• Like 3

11 of those guys (including Jazz) are actually on the 40 man, and 2 of them they don't need to protect (Vesia, VVM) for another year. Which leaves Miller as a fringe protection next year.

They won't have to make too many moves. An internal 2021 opening day 40 man could be something like this:

Alfaro, TBD backup

Lewin, Aguilar, Cooper

Isan, Berti

Rojas, Jazz, Devers

Anderson

Ramirez, Brinson

Monte, Sierra, Miller

Sanchez, Dean, Jerar

=19

Sandy, Sixto, Cabrera, Pablo, Caleb, Neidert, Rogers, Garrett, Yamamoto, Mejia (10)

Stanek, Steckenrider, Sharp, Brigham, Dugger, Guzman, Roberson, Hernandez, Holloway (9)

Garcia, Quijada (2)

=21

It's really a full deck as you can say nice things about everyone there, but Aguilar/Cooper are redundant, the odds that all of Ramirez/Brinson/Sierra/Miller/Dean/Jerar work out are slim to none, and there is at least 2-3 pitching trades above. Other protection hopefuls (Soriano, Stewart again) could bump someone.

If they pull off another deadline miracle and get another Jazz, Lewin, and Sanchez to add, then this might get dicey with some drops, but they are in good shape right now to "keep everyone" and see what happens.

I'd still sign a right handed bat right now, and then start shopping outfielders.

Your posts are like the @MrAndMrsFish updates of the off-season.

I hope nobody really has given up on VVM. I doubt it but just making sure.

i don't think anyone here has actually given up on him. He'll need to show continued improvement next year and we'll likely see him as a callup at the end of the year for his cup o' cafe cubano. If he sucks all next year in the minors though, then yeah, he's a bust. I just hope they move on from Brinson for good. I don't want to see him taking at bats away from guys who deserve a chance.